Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am an international student applying to Film Production BA in the UK.
    I have narrowed down to 4 courses, but cannot decide my 5th course.

Courses I am thinking as my 5th option are...
    - University of York / Film an Television BSc ( York seems to be a beautiful city haven't heard any negatives on this course. But my concern is it's BSc and might be lacking in creative sides of film production. And it's a balance of Film and Television while I want to focus only on film)
    - University of Hertfordshire and University of Gloucestershire ( the content of the courses look good but the location is pretty bad)
    - Royal Holloway, University of Greenwich, and Ravensbourne ( they are all in London but not sure about the quality)

I feel the courses I chose are all pretty hard to get in so I am wondering whether I should choose one with a less competition.

Here are the courses I have already made my mind to apply
    1. University of Westminster / Film BA (heard it's the best film course in the UK and it's located in Londen = perfect condition for me)
    2. University of Middlesex / Film BA ( I heard many positives on this course and located in London)
    3. Arts University Bournemouth / Film Production BA (Also it's the best film course in the UK although it is far from London)
    4. Norwich University of Art / FIlm And Moving Image Production BA (it's in the middle of nowhere in the UK but the city of Norwich is very beautiful and the uni is located in the center which is a big positive)

I basically chose courses with a good location (close to London, or other big cities like Bournemouth and Norwich), a well-structured module(focused on Film Production, not Television), and a high reputation in the industry. The location is the most important factor for me since I am planning to do placements while studying, so the university located near London is appealing to me.

Anyone having a similar situation? Or anyone who graduated from the courses I listed above?
    It would be very nice to hear your advice on my options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misaki0113)

- University of York / Film an Television BSc ( York seems to be a beautiful city haven't heard any negatives on this course. But my concern is it's BSc and might be lacking in creative sides of film production. And it's a balance of Film and Television while I want to focus only on film)
    - University of Hertfordshire and University of Gloucestershire ( the content of the courses look good but the location is pretty bad)
    - Royal Holloway, University of Greenwich, and Ravensbourne ( they are all in London but not sure about the quality)

I feel the courses I chose are all pretty hard to get in so I am wondering whether I should choose one with a less competition.

1. University of Westminster / Film BA (heard it's the best film course in the UK and it's located in Londen = perfect condition for me)
    2. University of Middlesex / Film BA ( I heard many positives on this course and located in London)
    3. Arts University Bournemouth / Film Production BA (Also it's the best film course in the UK although it is far from London)
    4. Norwich University of Art / FIlm And Moving Image Production BA (it's in the middle of nowhere in the UK but the city of Norwich is very beautiful and the uni is located in the center which is a big positive)

I basically chose courses with a good location (close to London, or other big cities like Bournemouth and Norwich), a well-structured module(focused on Film Production, not Television), and a high reputation in the industry. The location is the most important factor for me since I am planning to do placements while studying, so the university located near London is appealing to me.

Anyone having a similar situation? Or anyone who graduated from the courses I listed above?
    I wouldn't describe Bournemouth or Norwich as either 'big cities' or 'near London'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that’s a mistake. I just chose AUB because it has the best film course and for NUA I chose it because the city of Norwich looks nice to spend my 3 years
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

You can apply to the 4 you’re sure of now and then add your fifth choice before January. That gives you more time to research and you might have an offer(or at least interviews) from your top 4 by then too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that’s a mistake. I just chose AUB because it has the best film course and for NUA I chose it because the city of Norwich looks nice to spend my 3 years
    I echo what PQ says about applying for 4 courses initially if you are unsure about your fifth choice.

I would also suggest that the content of the course is a much larger factor than living environment. If you plan to work in the industry, rather than study film as a theoretical subject, go for the best practical course you can.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I’ll apply for the Unis I’m sure about asap
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hello Misaki,

I graduated from the Media department and I loved it!
    I specifically did Journalism and Media, however, we had to work quite a lot with the Film students.

First of all, Middlesex has an amazing atmosphere! There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make new friends
    There are sports, societies, volunteering opportunities and jobs on campus!
    The SU won also SU of the year
    I am an international student as well and I made friends on my first few days!

In terms of the course, the facilities are amazing! there is also a loan store where you can get all sorts of cameras for free.
    The course is also very practical and, at the end of it, you will get to show your work to industry professionals.
    Some Alumni entered the BFI film festival! Being in London gives the exposure to the film industry
    This is an example of the BA film show reel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfG_eWjGjc

Do you have any specific question?
    Have a lovely weekend
    Ludovica

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.