Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do I need to know, before English Literature A-Levels. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the summer that has just gone by, I took my GCSE'S like all other year 11's, but I had to take them at a college, so did not get to pick subjects or even do a lot of GCSE's as it was not possible. So unfortunately I was unable to take English literature, only Language that I got a 7 in.

I am planning on taking English literature as an A-Level next year, and I am just wondering if there are any specific books I need to read before taking the A-Level, E.g. do I have to read a bunch of Shakespeare, if so which ones. Also any advice on the subject would be great. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    The books you'd need to read depend on the exam board that is chosen, for example AQA, Edexcel etc. On their websites they usually list the material they use in the course.

General tips for a level english literature personally would be:
    - make sure your writing is concise. reread work and redraft it
    - think outside of the box but still somewhat realistically when analysing quotes
    - think about what the writer may by trying to convey, or what they are trying to make the reader feel
    - sometimes understanding the context of when the novel/play was written is useful

hope this helps! and good luck!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Mckailer)
    Hi, the summer that has just gone by, I took my GCSE'S like all other year 11's, but I had to take them at a college, so did not get to pick subjects or even do a lot of GCSE's as it was not possible. So unfortunately I was unable to take English literature, only Language that I got a 7 in.

I am planning on taking English literature as an A-Level next year, and I am just wondering if there are any specific books I need to read before taking the A-Level, E.g. do I have to read a bunch of Shakespeare, if so which ones. Also any advice on the subject would be great. Thank you.
    Its pretty straightforward. You read a book, understand what its about and then answer a question by writing an essay on it. Usually a couple of prose books, couple of Shakespeare and some poetry. If you got a 7 then you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its pretty straightforward. You read a book, understand what its about and then answer a question by writing an essay on it. Usually a couple of prose books, couple of Shakespeare and some poetry. If you got a 7 then you will be fine.
    I got a 9 and im struggling
    ive been getting Ds constantly and Es

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    That means you haven't quite made the step up to A-Level yet don't try and do it in the same way you did GCSE, as that won't be good enough. Break out of the formula you're probably used to, look at a mark scheme, and keep practising!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    That means you haven't quite made the step up to A-Level yet don't try and do it in the same way you did GCSE, as that won't be good enough. Break out of the formula you're probably used to, look at a mark scheme, and keep practising!
    Thats exactly the probelm ! lool
    I dont know what an A level essay is supposed to look like and hoow to involve the ccritics and also context is half of the marks so im not sure where that fits in. Im working on English a lot but im enjoying the books and the analysis
    What are you studying?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by z_o_e)
    You will be fine. Look at your feedback and it will just be adjusting your style slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    I dont know what an A level essay is supposed to look like and hoow to involve the ccritics and also context is half of the marks so im not sure where that fits in. Im working on English a lot but im enjoying the books and the analysis
    What are you studying?
    Same! I got an 8 in GCSE but I feel so lost now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    What are you studying?
    I study History, Ancient History, and Classics, but I did Eng Lit last year and I'll be doing an AS in it alongside my A-Levels! (I dropped English for mental health reasons)

When a critic links to your view/passage or is against your view in any way, reference them! And stick context in everywhere. Literally everywhere. Making a point about women? Context. Something about mental health? Author context. Family? Context. Literally anything you say, link it to context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicbeans1212)
    Same! I got an 8 in GCSE but I feel so lost now
    Same here.
    What exam board are you doing for Lit?
    Also, what are you other options along side?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Same here.
    What exam board are you doing for Lit?
    Also, what are you other options along side?
    OCR wby?
    Bio and chem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    I study History, Ancient History, and Classics, but I did Eng Lit last year and I'll be doing an AS in it alongside my A-Levels! (I dropped English for mental health reasons)

When a critic links to your view/passage or is against your view in any way, reference them! And stick context in everywhere. Literally everywhere. Making a point about women? Context. Something about mental health? Author context. Family? Context. Literally anything you say, link it to context.

Ayy wow that seems interesting!

Thank you so much. I just struggle and im not sure where to put it in the paragraph you see. Im totally lost.

ReputationRep:
    OCR wby?
    Bio and chem
    Im doing OCR too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Im doing OCR too!
    What texts are you studying

ReputationRep:
    What texts are you studying
    The Bloody Chamber
    Rossetti
    Dorian Gray
    A Dolls house
    not sure about the rest
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by z_o_e)
    The Bloody Chamber
    Rossetti
    Dorian Gray
    A Dolls house
    not sure about the rest
    No Shakespeare?

I would put money on you that you will get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No Shakespeare?

I would put money on you that you will get an A.
    Yes we have Shakespeare alongside with Drama and poetry but im not sure which book we are actually studying for Shakespeare.
    LOL, i have no hope for that. Id be lucky enough at this rate to even get a CCC for my subjects. Im doing Philosophy alongside and theres SO MUCH content!

I love English the most though.

Do you have any revision tips? What subjects are you studying? x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.