Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think that this person is still my friend despite not speaking for three years Watch

Hello everyone,

Quite often at Uni I struggle to get involved in societies due to natural difficulties. I have lost touch with almost all of my sixth form friends and only keep in touch with a few very infrequently over Facebook.

Recently I was feeling a bit under pressure with the start of term and realising just how much this term counts towards my final mark.

I was feeling a bit isolated with everything and lonely.

One of my friends from sixth form actually drove to my Uni to see me when he found out. My Uni is a good bit away from my home town but this friend lives only an hour away from me.

I was just so happy to see him again that it cheered me up a lot.

How often do you need to speak to friends for them to remain as your friend? I hadn't really spoke to this friend properly before I contacted him on Facebook recently for about three years. However, when we met, I was so surprised and it actually lifted my spirits just how much he remembered. It almost felt as if no time had passed since school. He even remembered my favourite football team!

I have recently been quite hard on myself thinking that I have 'no friends' as I have struggled to integrate at Uni and until recently, have not spoken to any of my sixth form friends in person. However, seeing my old friend and feeling as if no time had passed has made me think slightly differently about things.

Do you think that he is still my friend, even though we didn't speak for over three years? When we did it was like no time had passed at all!

Do you think that this person is a good friend and also, do you need to always speak to friends for them to remain as your friend?

ReputationRep:
    For someone to be your friend you absolutely do not need to see/speak to them all the time. I have plenty of friends who I rarely see or talk to.
    The very fact that he drove down to see you in your time of need should be enough to answer your question, OF COURSE HE IS YOUR FRIEND .

As you grow older and have commitments you tend to see your friends less, and this is perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    IMO it sounds like he still considers you to be a friend. Whilst communication is key to pretty much all friendships/relationships, the fact that he went out of his way to drive down and see you when you were feeling stressed shows how valuable that friendship is.

You don't have to speak to friends every single day; I have a friend who I speak to a few times a month, and see maybe every 4-8 weeks. I feel as though if we spoke every day like some people do, that it would eventually become a bit suffocating and dull. We both have our own lives. We don't need to be with each other 24/7.

Honestly though, everyone is different. If you want to talk to him more often you can; if you don't, then it's your choice.

Is it the sign of a true friend when you can go a long time without speaking to them but they still care about you? No one from sixth form speaks to me anymore and it makes me feel so lonely and that I have no friends.

Do you think that they might just have more life commitments at uni now to speak to me anymore, but still consider me as a friend despite the lack of regular contact?

Is it the sign of a true friend when you can go a long time without speaking to them but they still care about you? No one from sixth form speaks to me anymore and it makes me feel so lonely and that I have no friends.

Do you think that they might just have more life commitments at uni now to speak to me anymore, but still consider me as a friend despite the lack of regular contact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

As has already been said, as we get older often we have to make a concerted effort to meet up with friends. Life, work and family commitments get in the way. It does not mean the friendship is over if you don’t see each other for a while.
    Likewise, you’ll make new friends throughout your life and leave others behind
    Is there anyone from 6th form you really really miss or are you just being nostalgic for a more fun time because you’re down?
    If it’s the first then you should message them and start a conversation

Please could I have some more perspectives on this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.