Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonsama)
    People always get mad as f*ck and triggered by the concept of IQ, always revealing their own insecurities. The moment it gets mentioned they enter defence mode like someone just claimed to be directly superior to them.

By the way if you think IQ is bullsh*t then you have to throw out the rest of psychology with it. IQ is the no. 1 most verifiable and replicable concept in psychology, with nothing else even coming close. It also has the highest correlation with success out of any psychological trait.
    I don't think it's complete BS, but I have a few problems with it:
    1. The tests vary wildly. Many people do casual online tests are rarely accurate. Official written test are better, but they still measure only a limited set of capabilities compared to psychological examinations.
    2. The standard deviations vary between tests. A score of 145 on an SD15 test would be in the top 0.13% of the population. But if the standard deviation were increased to 25, it becomes a much less remarkable 3.59% (put it this way, 1 in 28 people have a higher score than that).
    3. People sometimes do multiple tests, but they often report only the highest score.
    4. Most IQ tests are designed for the full spectrum of people and tend to have difficulty differentiating people of very high IQ.

For example, I did the Mensa test about 5 years ago and scored 162 on the Cattell B III and 132 on the Culture Fair test. Given this, I could just go around and claim my IQ was 162. People would probably assume this was an SD15 test which would put me in the top 0.01% of the population. Impressive?

Now, an extract from the website of British Mensa:

On the Culture Fair test used by British Mensa, a score of 132 places a candidate in the top two per cent of the population (the average IQ is taken as 100). On the Cattell B III, also commonly used by Mensa, a score of 148 or above would be required.

After crunching the numbers, this shows that the standard deviation on the Cattell is around 23, whereas it is only 16 on the Culture Fair. Given this, my 162 score puts me in the top 0.35% of the population which while still impressive is a far cry from 0.01%. And that's using my most significant result - the other test would put me in the top 2%...

ReputationRep:
    Which test did you take?

Aren't you a bit disappointed you only got 174?

Do you believe IQ demonstrates anything remotely significant, apart from obviously your ability to do well on an IQ test.

ReputationRep:
    Do you understand that subtle humour of rick and morty

ReputationRep:
    If you're so clever then why are you on this app wasting your energy when you can be changing the world right now?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    All of them, IQ is a very good indicator of what degree you are capable of doing, people with high IQ contribute more to society and generally get into research.

How does insecurity tie into this? I am not OP nor have I been tested for my IQ. You are the one calling him arrogant for taking an IQ test.
    I'm actually laughing at this reply, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone give a **** what your IQ is?

Is this Ross from The Apprentice :laugh:
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ehruhure)
      How does the earths equator size correlate to the square root of the mass of mg squared subtracted by the atmospherical pressure of mars plus the gravity of earth. To follow up on this very contraversial topic why is the equilibrium of the brain at not a point in which the vitamins absorbed in the small intestine gives us the iq of 348, double the size of your iq. Huh.
      IQ is out of 200.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by crosssafley)
      Do you understand that subtle humour of rick and morty
      To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volyaliterature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about life. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly are idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I do have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only - and even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
      Nothing personal, kid.
      • Section Leader
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      What happened to the guy on The Apprentice who told Sugar he was usually the smartest person in the room.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonsama)
      IQ is the no. 1 most verifiable and replicable.
      Apart from taking an IQ test, how can one find out one's IQ?

Surely this is the definition of self-referencing.

ReputationRep:
      How do you take an IQ test? 😤 which site is it??

ReputationRep:
      have you ever caught a delicious bass ?

ReputationRep:
      Do all nontrivial zeroes of the riemann zeta function have a real part of 1/2?
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Explain what the natural cause of the Kantrowitz Limit is and then philosophically define knowledge.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by that_guy874)
      IQ is out of 200.
      No

174? And you make an AMA? If you were plus 200 I would be impressed but 174 ... smh

*prove it first* and then let us ask questions because who knows whether you are trolling or not?

Prove it!!!!!

ReputationRep:
      Who are you trying to fool?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.