Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any help with this proof question? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Any help with this question?

"How can you prove this:
    You have 4 numbers, out of the choice of 1,2,3. How can you prove that any combination will have a sum divisible by 4?

E.g. {1,2,2,2} 2+2 = 4 or {3,1,1,2} 3+1 = 4 "

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, after ruling out the "if you have at least two 2s you're done" case, it's probably going to be quickest to enumerate the other options and give examples (as you have started doing).
    • Study Helper

(Original post by thomoski2)
    Any help with this question?
    I think DFranklin's is by far the simplest solution - there are only 7 (correction 9) remaining combinations to check.

For something more involved.
    Add the first and second digits. Is the result Odd or Even?
    Add tthe third and fourth. Again is it Odd or Even?

Now investigate the possible combinations:

<expletive deleted> editor just deleted all my nice spoilers. Not going to type it out again.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'll give this a try, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Going through this method, I think i'm going to lose marks if i use this. Are there any other methods to try?
    • Study Helper

Going through this method, I think i'm going to lose marks if i use this. Are there any other methods to try?
    We've suggested two. Some background to where the question is from and what it's for might suggest something else.

ReputationRep:
    The exhaustive method will most likely lose me marks, so I want to try and avoid that if possible. I missed the other method, sorry, but I've never heard of the method, and this is for coursework, so I can't really use it. Do you think there's anything else I could try, even a point in the right direction? (Sorry to be a pain)

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think the exhaustive method will lose you marks?

ReputationRep:
    The exhaustive method will most likely lose me marks, so I want to try and avoid that if possible. I missed the other method, sorry, but I've never heard of the method, and this is for coursework, so I can't really use it. Do you think there's anything else I could try, even a point in the right direction? (Sorry to be a pain)
    It only said prove it. It never said prove it elegantly. In a British Maths Olympiad exam (which is pretty much entirely proving stuff), they don't care how ugly your proof is. If you just bash away at every possible case, you can get full marks.

That said, start by eliminating the possibility of two 2s. This means at least three of the numbers must be 1s or 3s. Now, you can't have both 1s and 3s together because they'd add to make a 4, so now you've basically reduced it to four cases (two involving a 2, two without a 2). That's hardly an ugly proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    It only said prove it. It never said prove it elegantly. In a British Maths Olympiad exam (which is pretty much entirely proving stuff), they don't care how ugly your proof is. If you just bash away at every possible case, you can get full marks.

That said, start by eliminating the possibility of two 2s. This means at least three of the numbers must be 1s or 3s. Now, you can't have both 1s and 3s together because they'd add to make a 4, so now you've basically reduced it to four cases (two involving a 2, two without a 2). That's hardly an ugly proof.
    Sorry, i should've elaborated further, its a small sub section of my coursework, so i need a fairly concise answer, that was the issue

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, i should've elaborated further, its a small sub section of my coursework, so i need a fairly concise answer, that was the issue
    Most concise solution will be what I suggested. (The *reason* I said "just list them" was the realisation that a list with items like {1,1,1,3}: 1+3=4 was so concise that any argument with more than a couple of sentences would work out longer).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.