Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people build their lives around Instagram? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think people have finally cottoned to the fact that Social Media is predominantly about the pictures.

Do people base their lives entirely around Instagram? I mean, some people's profiles have 100s of images and there are almost always high quality. I mean, brilliant camera angles, filters, effects, backgrounds and the people in them often look like models. Some individuals do seem to be loathe to take a photograph unless it's in a new outfit that they haven't worn before. The photos are taken in varied places as well. Holiday destinations, nightclubs, restaurants and other random places. Is it all pre-meditated to make it seem like the individual in question has a varied, exciting and adventurous life?

I have to say, some normal people look like celebrities on Instagram. The most popular things I've noticed are tattoos, memes, quotes and various artistic images. These are supplementing the "main" photographs of the user. It seems to me that having an attractive Instagram is pretty much an art.

ReputationRep:
    In the old days, the only famous people where celebrities, you had no way competing with them. they were in a different league.

Now anyone can start a youtube channel or a fitness instagram account and get more followers than A List Hollywood Stars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    In the old days, the only famous people where celebrities, you had no way competing with them. they were in a different league.

Now anyone can start a youtube channel or a fitness instagram account and get more followers than A List Hollywood Stars
    See I am not so sure that it's about being a celebrity per se. I rather think that certain covert narcissists who are too vulnerable and quiet to be grandiose are using Instagram as a way of getting praise. I suppose you could say they're doing it the easy way.

I have to say...it seems to be a way of abusing people. By putting so much effort into looking better, and having an ever-present and available way of saying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekuyper)
    See I am not so sure that it's about being a celebrity per se. I rather think that certain covert narcissists who are too vulnerable and quiet to be grandiose are using Instagram as a way of getting praise. I suppose you could say they're doing it the easy way.

I have to say...it seems to be a way of abusing people. By putting so much effort into looking better, and having an ever-present and available way of saying it.
    I dont think instagram effect is anything knew, I remember my dad telling my mom that he wanted to buy a new car, because the neighbours bought a fancy BMW and it made him look bad.

When I am out with my friends, we never discuss anyone's instagram post or feel bad because someone went on holiday to some exotic location

ReputationRep:
    Social media is an important tool although many people misuse it a lot of people use it to benefit themselves (which is good)

ReputationRep:
    It's just another platform that allows people to live out their narcissistic fantasies.

I've no interest in any of it [Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc].

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people that have Instagram at the centre of jsut about everything. It's a bit disconcerting but I suppose most of them aren't hurting anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I have one but barely use it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.