Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does this count as any form of viable abuse? Watch

Announcements

Hi I've always had a rough relationship with my parents - ngl I was so annoying when I was a litte girl lol and I used to get smacks and stuff like every other child.

Today, my dad thought I had take his AAA fiver. We argued in the car and he threatened to punch me and make my mouth bloody so Id scream like a dog and I said I hadnt because I actually hadn't. He kept saying it and I mocked him like Its not my fault youve lost it. I made fun of his 'urgh' noise. He then pushed me up and grabbed my throat and threatened to strangle me. However, I did push his hand back which is what made him slap my arm back.

I did have tears in my eyes but I just told him whatever and walked off into my room.

I then realised that this happened once or twice when I was younger and I would go on childline. However this is the first time he has done it in years and I am now 17.

I feel like this is more emotional abuse rather than physical because I have no marks or pain after about 2 mins

??

ReputationRep:
    That's definitely physical and emotional abuse.

ReputationRep:
    Kids dont get smacked when they’re younger constantly I was smacked once for drinking medication ..This is abuse please report
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by missboooky)
    Kids dont get smacked when they’re younger constantly I was smacked once for drinking medication ..This is abuse please report
    Is it necessary to report when its the one incident in two years? It's an ongoing physical abuse?

ReputationRep:
    If its an ongoing physical abuse yes you should report it???

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Is it necessary to report when its the one incident in two years? It's an ongoing physical abuse?
    I mean not ongoing

(Original post by missboooky)
    If its an ongoing physical abuse yes you should report it???
    I meant non ongoing
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've always had a rough relationship with my parents - ngl I was so annoying when I was a litte girl lol and I used to get smacks and stuff like every other child.

Today, my dad thought I had take his AAA fiver. We argued in the car and he threatened to punch me and make my mouth bloody so Id scream like a dog and I said I hadnt because I actually hadn't. He kept saying it and I mocked him like Its not my fault youve lost it. I made fun of his 'urgh' noise. He then pushed me up and grabbed my throat and threatened to strangle me. However, I did push his hand back which is what made him slap my arm back.

I did have tears in my eyes but I just told him whatever and walked off into my room.

I then realised that this happened once or twice when I was younger and I would go on childline. However this is the first time he has done it in years and I am now 17.

I feel like this is more emotional abuse rather than physical because I have no marks or pain after about 2 mins
    It's abuse. Doesn't matter if it is more emotional or more physical- abuse is abuse and it should not be happening.

You can talk to childline again if you want to vent and discuss things a bit. I would also suggest you consider reporting it though. He should not be doing that. You should feel safe at home and should not be worrying about being threatened or hurt.

You can report it to 101, talk to a doctor, call NSPCC, tell your school etc.
    If he is ever hitting you or threatening you it is okay to call 999.

I know you are 17 so it may feel awkward using a "children's" service like childline or the NSPCC, but you are legally a child so it is the most appropriate and they will be used to dealing with teenagers too. They'll be easy to access and more understanding of the parent situation so I would give them a go rather than an adult service.

I hope that helps. Remember, this is not your fault. He is the one threatening you and hurting you. It's all on him.

ReputationRep:
    your DAD PUT HIS HANDS ON YOUR NECK

ReputationRep:
    He's abusing you. Just once is too many times.

Is it necessary to report if someone punches their partner only once?

Is it necessary to report if someone rapes their partner only once while they're sleeping?

You get the gist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.