Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you don't go to Oxbridge or a Russel group you've wasted over £30'000 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    That might be true in the North or North East, as the public schools in that area are more likely to be feeders into Newcastle. It isn’t true (from my experience) of schools in the South East/Home Counties though.
    There might be some regional bias, but Newcastle is popular with the very top public schools and the old money upper-classes (i.e. people with a long history of wealth in their family tree, as opposed to those who acquired their wealth relatively recently). Not that long ago, Newcastle was the 3rd most popular university destination amongst students from Harrow school (in London) after Oxford and Edinburgh, for example. It might not be as notoriously fashionable as Durham/St. Andrews for a lot of wealthy Southerners, yet it seems to be more popular than those universities amongst the wealthiest of this group (i.e. those who go to the most exclusive schools in the country). But again, this is just a very specific demographic.

What privately educated students in the South East/Home Counties think also tends to be vastly different from what TSR thinks. Exeter is very popular with this group (it seems to be immensely popular with those who went to prep-school, for some reason).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatles17)
    There might be some regional bias, but Newcastle is popular with the very top public schools and the old money upper-classes (i.e. people with a long history of wealth in their family tree, as opposed to those who acquired their wealth relatively recently). Not that long ago, Newcastle was the 3rd most popular university destination amongst students from Harrow school (in London) after Oxford and Edinburgh, for example. It might not be as notoriously fashionable as Durham/St. Andrews for a lot of wealthy Southerners, yet it seems to be more popular than those universities amongst the wealthiest of this group (i.e. those who go to the most exclusive schools in the country). But again, this is just a very specific demographic.

What privately educated students in the South East/Home Counties also tends to be vastly different from what TSR thinks. Exeter is very popular with this group (it seems to be immensely popular with those who went to prep-school, for some reason).
    The slightly lower grades tariffs compared to the other universities you mentioned is probably a factor too. Would be interesting why the mega wealthy choose Newcastle compared to other RG universities in major cities that have slightly lower entry requirements though.

I know some people who have chosen places like Newcastle or Liverpool because they can live a life of luxury compared to London, and have known people whose parents can pay for their tutiton to buy property with their student loans. But they haven’t been the mega wealthy - just the well off.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Can confirm, is not a waste of money. I didn't go to a Russel Group uni, but I'm currently employed on a grad scheme alongside a number who did; at a high level, the person and their abilities matter far more than the uni they studied at.

ReputationRep:
    I hire graduates for my company now (I run an IT team of about 20 - variety of technical/non-technical roles) and I don't think i've ever considered the university a person comes from when giving or not giving an offer.

ReputationRep:
    A degree is a degree at the end of the day and you get out of it what you put in regardless of the university
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by elsy_grace)
    A degree is a degree at the end of the day and you get out of it what you put in regardless of the university
    Would strongly second this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.