Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you don't go to Oxbridge or a Russel group you've wasted over £30'000 Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samendra)
    strat consulting is where its at tho, general consulting isnt as high paying as IB, strat consulting on the other hand is
    But it isn't reflective of the whole profession and will only be a small fraction of consulting opportunities at the very top end.

It might be "where it's at" but it's a very skewed view of the whole sector. Technology consulting would be a much fairer sample group given the size of vacancies it has within the consultancy sector.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    strat consulting
    So assuming this will remain the case in the short/medium term... what % of the grad population is this actually relevant to? i.e. how many grad vacancies do they have a year?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquidconfidence)
    I've heard a lot of people, especially teachers, slyly voice this opinion.

Usually in year 12 everyone swears that they're definitely going to a Russel Group or Oxbridge. Then the reality of mock exams hits home and most people end up going to London Met.

Is it true that you're doomed if you don't go to a prestigious institution and will people look down on you eek
    Different universities are different. The Russel Group status may affect whether you want to go there or not, but I highly doubt employers have a list of which universities are RG or not while they look through your application. It'd only affect their opinion if they were biased themselves, which they may be, but as people have pointed out above, there are many more relevant things to an employer than which uni you attended. Increasingly, experience is becoming one of the most important aspects of your application as so many people come with degrees, and obviously your attitude towards work including how you apply what you've learnt from your degree and your experience to your application and your work will have the most major impact.

While there are lots of red brick universities which aren't RG that are just as prestigious as some other people mentioned, the bias against ex-polys is still pretty ridiculous. I certainly haven't wasted my time or money by coming to one - as well as advancing my knowledge of my course I've grown incredible amounts as a person, I've been able to take great opportunities in terms of work experience, and I've definitely got a lot more prepared for the future than I would've been if I'd left education after A-level and gone into whatever job I could find. Some positives of ex-polys that I've experienced (more specifically Sheffield Hallam) is that the course content is extremely modern and up to date, flexible in regards to our own interests, and practical in terms of developing our academic and employability skills within the course. Most courses here have optional placements, which (for reasons above) are invaluable when applying for a job afterwards, and we have an incredible employability rate thanks to those things as well as our student support services where we can get all sorts of help with anything we need, including things like getting a career mentor, getting placements, part-time or graduate work, work experience, etc.

From what I've heard, some of the most prestigious universities don't give their students the same amount of care or structured support that some of the smaller/newer universities do, and the courses are often more traditional and academic (not that that's terrible, but imo they might not prepare you for the future as well).

Your school just wants to be able to say they had so many people going to the top universities. But you should do what's best for you, and not let their pressure get to you! Look into the courses and the structures and the other things that the universities offer and find out where you'll suit most. Doing what appeals to you and what you know you'll grow and benefit from will never be a waste.

Good luck,

Ellie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    But it isn't reflective of the whole profession and will only be a small fraction of consulting opportunities at the very top end.

It might be "where it's at" but it's a very skewed view of the whole sector. Technology consulting would be a much fairer sample group given the size of vacancies it has within the consultancy sector.
    True im saying that aswell, your uni doesnt determine anything unless you are interested in consultuing/IB/law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    So assuming this will remain the case in the short/medium term... what % of the grad population is this actually relevant to? i.e. how many grad vacancies do they have a year?
    True im saying that aswell, your uni doesnt determine anything unless you are interested in consultuing/IB/law
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    No. Unless you are interested in a very small part of consultuing/IB/law.

There's plenty of well remunerated lawyers and consultants who didn't go to RG universities never mind Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:

There's plenty of well remunerated lawyers and consultants who didn't go to RG universities never mind Oxbridge.
    lmao, i was talking about strat consulting, high end law and IB where more than 70% come from the 'top 6'

ReputationRep:

for example I know of a pension fund that doesn't even look at people's CVs unless they are from oxbridge,lse,imp
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    lmao, i was talking about strat consulting, high end law and IB where more than 70% come from the 'top 6'
    You didn't say that. And what % of total UK grads do they hire?

for example I know of a pension fund that doesn't even look at people's CVs unless they are from oxbridge,lse,imp
    Who? And how many grads do they hire per year?

ReputationRep:
    Who? And how many grads do they hire per year?
    they hire about 20 grads a year, I dont want to say their name, its a canadian pension fund with headquarters near Euston
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    But it doesn’t even determine anything if you are interested in the vast majority of jobs in consulting/law and even IB. It might if you are interested in a very small number of jobs/companies within those professions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    But it doesn’t even determine anything if you are interested in the vast majority of jobs in consulting/law and even IB. It might if you are interested in a very small number of jobs/companies within those professions
    it actually does determine a lot, statistically, if you are interested in strat/management consulting or IB as i said before in MBB firms 60% are from oxbridge and in IB 70% are from top 6
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they get 70% of their applications from the top 6?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    they hire about 20 grads a year, I dont want to say their name, its a canadian pension fund with headquarters near Euston
    Oh go on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    it actually does determine a lot, statistically, if you are interested in strat/management consulting or IB as i said before in MBB firms 60% are from oxbridge and in IB 70% are from top 6
    FFS!

Strat consulting is not reflective of the whole profession. If you are going to be so selective, then put the word strategy in front of consulting when you post (although even then you wouldn’t be anywhere near accurate).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquidconfidence)
    I've heard a lot of people, especially teachers, slyly voice this opinion.

Usually in year 12 everyone swears that they're definitely going to a Russel Group or Oxbridge. Then the reality of mock exams hits home and most people end up going to London Met.

Is it true that you're doomed if you don't go to a prestigious institution and will people look down on you eek
    Nope. There are hundreds of universities outside of the Russel Group, that aren't Oxbridge, that create thousands of graduates every year and a huge number will go onto further study or get a job in their chosen career without an issue. Few career choices specify a particular university. My degree will also cost £5k (which will basically be paid by the government anyway) so not too worried about that being a "waste", especially when I know it's not a waste at all. :P In my eyes, a degree is a degree (well, if it's accredited).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Maybe they get 70% of their applications from the top 6?
    Thats the thing, they actively advertise on campus so more people end up applying, they provide CV reviews, Mock interviews/assessment centres,vid int tips for example Bain's spring week has requirements of AAB at alevel, not many people outisde top 6 have those grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    FFS!

Strat consulting is not reflective of the whole profession. If you are going to be so selective, then put the word strategy in front of consulting when you post (although even then you wouldn’t be anywhere near accurate).
    ofc it isnt, but it is by far the most competitive consulting niche
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Who told you this? Does it say it on their website? Or is this just speculation based on a random rumour you have heard?

ReputationRep:
    Even if you go to a more prestigious uni you’ve still wasted over £30k

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.