Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    B1302 - Abortion (amendment) bill 2017, JoecPhillips MP

A
    BILL TO
    Amend the abortion act based on modern day viability

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1-Amendments
    (1) In Section 1(1) of the Abortion Act 1967 replace twenty-fourth with twenty-first

2- Citation and commencement
    (1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
    (3) This Act may be referred to as the Abortion (Amendment) Act 2017

Notes:
    The Abortion limit is 24 weeks based on viability however this was set in 1990 and science and technology has advanced since then with children born at 21 weeks surviving http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...e-parents.html

This bill moves the limit to the point of viability.

Legislation

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, the point of viability should not be used as a reference for abortion because medical advancements will keep reducing that limit. Abortion should be up to the stage where the foetus is neither aware of what is happening to it nor can the foetus feel pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    No, the point of viability should not be used as a reference for abortion because medical advancements will keep reducing that limit. Abortion should be up to the stage where the foetus is neither aware of what is happening to it nor can feel pain.
    This

ReputationRep:
    Nay, for the reasons stated.

ReputationRep:
    Again its a nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nope, I can't say I care too much about the point of viability when setting abortion rules.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. The limit should be removed entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    No, the point of viability should not be used as a reference for abortion because medical advancements will keep reducing that limit. Abortion should be up to the stage where the foetus is neither aware of what is happening to it nor can feel pain.
    I agree with this ^^^
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I've said it before on this subject and so I'll say it again; I don't believe that anyone without a vagina deserves an opinion on the matter.

Abstain do to my genitals.

ReputationRep:
    Also, that crest is hideous. Don't use it again. Cheers.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I've said it before on this subject and so I'll say it again; I don't believe that anyone without a vagina deserves an opinion on the matter.

This would result in like 45 people abstaining :lol:

Having said that, aye: the point at which a foetus becomes viable with medical assistance outside the womb is the point at which it becomes a human being, which is the point at which abortion becomes murder. Anyway, 21 weeks is a long time to decide whether or not you want an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    As a big pro-choicer, I actually support this, I've long called for viability to be the cut off, hence it makes sense to adjust the laws accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    As a big pro-choicer, I actually support this, I've long called for viability to be the cut off, hence it makes sense to adjust the laws accordingly.
    Hear, hear. After some consideration I am inclined to also vote in favour of this bill.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the abstention area for this bill.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    This would result in 45 people abstaining.:lol:
    Then this house is currently more patriarchal than a parliament which has lasted for centuries and is governed firmly through traditions. I find that disgraceful.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, the 24 week term limit is fine as it stands. It is there for a reason and when it is safe to preform the abortion and when the foetus is considered a fully developed baby.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Then this house is currently more patriarchal than a parliament which has lasted for centuries and is governed firmly through traditions. I find that disgraceful.
    We are a "model" house of commons, get over yourself

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever get bored of white knighting?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

everyone was once a foetus.

abstain on basis of my belief in the outlawing of abortion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I think you mean due.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.