B1302 - Abortion (amendment) bill 2017 watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    We are a "model" house of commons, get over yourself
    No. The gender representation in this house is shocking. Whether this house has any legal remit or not. Members with manifesto promises to "end the patriarchy" should begin to do so using the microcosm of this forum.
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    Do you ever get bored of white knighting?
    Not for as long as other people quote it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    No. The gender representation in this house is shocking. Whether this house has any legal remit or not. Members with manifesto promises to "end the patriarchy" should begin to do so using the microcosm of this forum.
    So basically who cares about meritocracy let’s give people a role based on genitals, my party allows members to decide who their MPs are yours is the one where party leadership decides behind closed doors giving it to yes boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    everyone was once a foetus.

abstain on basis of my belief in the outlawing of abortion.
    I share that belief but surely this is worth an aye, if it only saves 1 child that is still progress and a worthwhile bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Nay, the 24 week term limit is fine as it stands. It is there for a reason and when it is safe to preform the abortion and when the foetus is considered a fully developed baby.
    The 24 week limit is about 15 years out of date, it was set because of the date of viability back in 1990 and that has now changes
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Who cares? If women want to take part in the MHoC but predominately men take an interest in it - that is the choice of individuals. This is a game and I choose to see other people as nothing other than just that, once again you have proven yourself to be illiberal.

ReputationRep:
    Then this house is currently more patriarchal than a parliament which has lasted for centuries and is governed firmly through traditions. I find that disgraceful.
    Go recruit some female friends if you feel so strongly. Politics is male dominated, that's an unfortunate fact but it is a fact.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So basically who cares about meritocracy let’s give people a role based on genitals, my party allows members to decide who their MPs are yours is the one where party leadership decides behind closed doors giving it to yes boys.
    So basically, at what point were you able to see inside my mind and are you sure you got the right brain because that's not what I think and I'm not sure how you managed to produce that conclusion about my beliefs. Feel free to quote where I have said these things. And how many times do I have to explain that just because someone is a member of the party doesn't mean they necessarily agree with every inch of their constitution?
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    Who cares? If women want to take part in the MHoC but predominately men take an interest in it - that is the choice of individuals. This is a game and I choose to see other people as nothing other than just that, once again you have proven yourself to be illiberal.
    I think you underestimate the nature of the perception problem.

Once again, you have proven yourself to jump to a conclusion about my political beliefs without actually knowing what they are. Because as far as I'm aware I've never been asked for them.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Go recruit some female friends if you feel so strongly. Politics is male dominated, that's an unfortunate fact but it is a fact.
    It's a circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I share that belief but surely this is worth an aye, if it only saves 1 child that is still progress and a worthwhile bill.
    you make a good point. aye

ReputationRep:
    I've said it before on this subject and so I'll say it again; I don't believe that anyone without a vagina deserves an opinion on the matter.

Abstain do to my genitals.
    What about those of us with a vagina but no uterus? :lol:

Nay to this - I'm with Jacob. From a moral perspective I don't see how the point of viability is relevant. Additionally, nearly all post-20 week abortions are due to tragic circumstances, either a risk to the mother's health or the foetus being found to have severe abnormalities. Since abortion can be allowed after the limit in such circumstances anyway, this bill in 99% of cases only serves to force traumatised women through a painful state bureaucracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    What about those of us with a vagina but no uterus? :lol:

Nay to this - I'm with Jacob. From a moral perspective I don't see how the point of viability is relevant. Additionally, nearly all post-20 week abortions are due to tragic circumstances, either a risk to the mother's health or the foetus being found to have severe abnormalities. Since abortion can be allowed after the limit in such circumstances anyway, this bill in 99% of cases only serves to force traumatised women through a painful state bureaucracy.
    So what you are saying is most terminations won’t be affected and who cares if the child could survive by itself at this stage, but nay because it’s only a life when I decide it is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Nay. The limit should be removed entirely.
    When is birth defined, start of labour or not until severing of the umbilical cord, or do we take it all the way to the grave?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    No, the point of viability should not be used as a reference for abortion because medical advancements will keep reducing that limit. Abortion should be up to the stage where the foetus is neither aware of what is happening to it nor can the foetus feel pain.
    I agree with this.

Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    This bill has entered cessation.

ReputationRep:
    This bill has entered division.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.