Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to some Uni's that want AAB with ABB predicted grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it too risky? I'm capable of getting much higher however my sixth form are pretty strict on predictions and purely based it on our UCAS prediction exams and nothing else. (Don't have AS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenalk)
    Is it too risky? I'm capable of getting much higher however my sixth form are pretty strict on predictions and purely based it on our UCAS prediction exams and nothing else. (Don't have AS)
    Risk if you don't have any AS history... I've been predicted ABB and have applied to two/three universities who want AAB and have received offers. That doesn't mean you will though, just saying. I think a lot of factors are taken into account when unis give out offers to certain students, e.g. references and personal statement. I would maybe pick 1, at a max, 2 unis that are risky and potentially want AAB or something. The rest, stick to ABB and maybe one BBB or something.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni and how picky they are. For many courses, they won't be bothered. For my course (Maths), majority of the students who were predicted lower than entry requirement were given offers (I got an offer for an AAA course despite being predicted ABB). The admission tutors will look at your application as a whole as well as your previous exam performance, as they know many schools over predict as well as some who under predict.

I'd say to choose 1 or 2 unis that you REALLY want to attend, and the rest that you like but are within your predicted grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Depends on the uni and how picky they are. For many courses, they won't be bothered. For my course (Maths), majority of the students who were predicted lower than entry requirement were given offers (I got an offer for an AAA course despite being predicted ABB). The admission tutors will look at your application as a whole as well as your previous exam performance, as they know many schools over predict as well as some who under predict.

I'd say to choose 1 or 2 unis that you REALLY want to attend, and the rest that you like but are within your predicted grade.
    I want to study Politics and International relations.
    Wow...I would have thought with a objective subject like maths they wouldn't be so lenient so that gives me a little hope now. And that's the thing, I know people from other schools who got UBD at AS however predicted three As!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    Risk if you don't have any AS history... I've been predicted ABB and have applied to two/three universities who want AAB and have received offers. That doesn't mean you will though, just saying. I think a lot of factors are taken into account when unis give out offers to certain students, e.g. references and personal statement. I would maybe pick 1, at a max, 2 unis that are risky and potentially want AAB or something. The rest, stick to ABB and maybe one BBB or something.
    So you mean to say I'm put at a disadvantage as I haven't done AS's? Is that because I have no experience in sitting a real exam in the subject? The thing is in my school, no one did AS as we're studying the new syllabus so hopefully UNI's do take that into consideration... I would hope so anyways.

ReputationRep:
    So you mean to say I'm put at a disadvantage as I haven't done AS's? Is that because I have no experience in sitting a real exam in the subject? The thing is in my school, no one did AS as we're studying the new syllabus so hopefully UNI's do take that into consideration... I would hope so anyways.
    Oh I see so your school just have the full two years to study for the actual A2? Most schools still do AS for new specs but no it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same situation, I'm applying for classics and English at Birmingham UCL Saint Andrews Leeds and Newcastle, the first two are the only ones wanting ABB and I'm petrified I'm going to be rejected by all of them as I'm predicted ABB, not the AAB they want

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.