Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m really confused whether I should have separate paragraphs or just one large body of text. My form tutor is saying I should not use paragraphs and use every single line along with my maths tutor. But I’ve also heard paragraphs are preferred. I’m so confused someone help please!
    I’m almost ready to send my application off just don’t know whether to fill these extra lines are not
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xchloeann)
    I’m really confused whether I should have separate paragraphs or just one large body of text. My form tutor is saying I should not use paragraphs and use every single line along with my maths tutor. But I’ve also heard paragraphs are preferred. I’m so confused someone help please!
    I’m almost ready to send my application off just don’t know whether to fill these extra lines are not
    Definitely use paragraphs!

ReputationRep:
    I've submitted my application and used paragraphs because it looked cleaner plus I felt I was just making things more concise.

ReputationRep:
    I just did 3600 charachters on mine and managed to use paragraph spaces. Quality is better than quantity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prophetkid)
    Definitely use paragraphs!
    (Original post by funky2722)
    I've submitted my application and used paragraphs because it looked cleaner plus I felt I was just making things more concise.
    Thank you both for responding! I totally agree but my tutor keeps saying if I want to go to a top university I must use every line. I really think it looks so much better using paragraphs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I just did 3600 charachters on mine and managed to use paragraph spaces. Quality is better than quantity
    Definitely, thank you for replying. I think I’m going to keep my personal statement in paragraphs
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for responding! I totally agree but my tutor keeps saying if I want to go to a top university I must use every line. I really think it looks so much better using paragraphs
    Your teacher is talking crap.

You need to make sure everything in your statement is helpful - that doesn’t mean making it into a wall of text.

The whole point of a ps is that it’s an exercise in communicating within the limits. That means prioritising content and tailoring the content and the format to the audience. Making it difficult for admissions staff to read your ps and take away your most important points is a dreadful idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Your teacher is talking crap.

You need to make sure everything in your statement is helpful - that doesn’t mean making it into a wall of text.

The whole point of a ps is that it’s an exercise in communicating within the limits. That means prioritising content and tailoring the content and the format to the audience. Making it difficult for admissions staff to read your ps and take away your most important points is a dreadful idea.
    Thank you I agree 100% with everything you’ve said

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.