Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Predicted D D E due to poor grades achieved because of depression, what can I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just to give some background information, I have been severely depressed for the past 3 years now, only recently however I've gained enough courage to see my GP who is sorting put a course of treatment, (CAMHS and anti-depressants), MY FAMILY DON'T KNOW about this and I WOULD LIKE IT TO STAY THAT WAY.

My depression has gotten in the way of everything, my studies and relationships with people. I joined my sixth form last year after just about getting into the subjects I wanted to study, my depression got in the way of my GCSE's, as I was feeling suicidal at the time and was close to going over the edge. Since October 2016 I've been feeling so so lonely and have been late and missed sixth form on countless occasions, I've just about managed to get onto this second year.

Things have gotten worse, Ive almost attempted to take my own life, My parents have been brought in on countless occasions, Ive been warned that i would be kicked out if i continue this way. My head of sixth form, who also just happens to be my Chemistry teacher has begun to lose faith in me, my parents are starting to really hate me, all because of the fact that my depression is getting in the way of me doing things.

My GP wrote a letter for my sixth form explaining why ive been the way that i have, but I've been to afraid to give it to the head, because he's my teacher and i don't want my parents to find out things could get awkward in chemistry.

On to the question:
    as my performance on mock exams have been terrible, my teachers have predicted me, DDE in maths, chemistry and biology. As my exams are all linear, regardless of my previous performance, i can still turn things around, it may be extremely difficult but with my treatment plan starting to take place, i can really feel myself getting better and with a study plan, i believe i can catch up on every subject so far and for once i really believe i could be achieving good grades this year.

Heres the problem, with AAB being a minimum requirement for most university civil engineering courses i feel theres no point applying to UCAS as I won't get a single decent offer, my teachers will force me to apply to the worst universities, which offer foundation years. This is a real shame as I really wanted to apply to UCAS this year as i dont want to have to reapply and take a gap year, next year however I don’t want to have apply to crap unis. Dreams of becoming civil engineer are shattered.

If I inform my sixth form of my extenuating circumstance will it help me with my dilemma? could i possibly get in through the clearing process?

What are my options at this point?

ReputationRep:
    You need to inform the college as especially if they see you working well this year should be willing to up your predictions. Dishonesty between you and your parents will probably only make you feel more isolated. It is definitely healthier to get it out in the open as then you'll have a lot more support and that should make the world of difference to your education.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by minercrafty)
    Just to give some background information, I have been severely depressed for the past 3 years now, only recently however I've gained enough courage to see my GP who is sorting put a course of treatment, (CAMHS and anti-depressants), MY FAMILY DON'T KNOW about this and I WOULD LIKE IT TO STAY THAT WAY.

My depression has gotten in the way of everything, my studies and relationships with people. I joined my sixth form last year after just about getting into the subjects I wanted to study, my depression got in the way of my GCSE's, as I was feeling suicidal at the time and was close to going over the edge. Since October 2016 I've been feeling so so lonely and have been late and missed sixth form on countless occasions, I've just about managed to get onto this second year.

Things have gotten worse, Ive almost attempted to take my own life, My parents have been brought in on countless occasions, Ive been warned that i would be kicked out if i continue this way. My head of sixth form, who also just happens to be my Chemistry teacher has begun to lose faith in me, my parents are starting to really hate me, all because of the fact that my depression is getting in the way of me doing things.

My GP wrote a letter for my sixth form explaining why ive been the way that i have, but I've been to afraid to give it to the head, because he's my teacher and i don't want my parents to find out things could get awkward in chemistry.

On to the question:
    as my performance on mock exams have been terrible, my teachers have predicted me, DDE in maths, chemistry and biology. As my exams are all linear, regardless of my previous performance, i can still turn things around, it may be extremely difficult but with my treatment plan starting to take place, i can really feel myself getting better and with a study plan, i believe i can catch up on every subject so far and for once i really believe i could be achieving good grades this year.

Heres the problem, with AAB being a minimum requirement for most university civil engineering courses i feel theres no point applying to UCAS as I won't get a single decent offer, my teachers will force me to apply to the worst universities, which offer foundation years. This is a real shame as I really wanted to apply to UCAS this year as i dont want to have to reapply and take a gap year, next year however I don’t want to have apply to crap unis. Dreams of becoming civil engineer are shattered.

If I inform my sixth form of my extenuating circumstance will it help me with my dilemma? could i possibly get in through the clearing process?

What are my options at this point?
    Start taking responsibility for your depression. If you keep it to yourself, then they cant make an allowance for you and they could even ask you to leave. I dont know your parents, but keeping it a secret seems as though its doomed to failure and a bad idea. Sounds like you are going to need a lo more than camhs an some pills.

Tell the school

Apply for wherever but you don have to accept.

Get the grades. You have to get your mh sorted.

Yes some unis will still have engineering places in clearing or you can try for a degree with foundation year. or you can take a gap.

The priority is to get better and yes you should inform the sixth form. I would consider redoing the year. Talk to the school counselor or a teacher you trust. Start making decisions that are good for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.