Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transferring Universities during Academic Year - Help and Advice Appreciated! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Not sure if anybody has any advice or knows how the student finance process works?

I started a 4 year course in September, but I'm not enjoying it and it's not what I want to pursue now. I have the option of transferring to a new private university starting in January 2018 on a new 3 year course.

I have used the 'gift year' of funding. Therefore, will I get a full 3 years of funding for the new course from January, as I'm not taking a year out, I'm transferring to a new university within the same academic year or will they class the course I've being on since September as using a year of entitlement?

Thanks for any advice anybody can give! I tried to call SFE and the advisor was quite unhelpful, all I got told was 'it's down to the assessors, you might get full funding or you might not' which isn't really helpful.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camy934)
    Hey,

Not sure if anybody has any advice or knows how the student finance process works?

I started a 4 year course in September, but I'm not enjoying it and it's not what I want to pursue now. I have the option of transferring to a new private university starting in January 2018 on a new 3 year course.

I have used the 'gift year' of funding. Therefore, will I get a full 3 years of funding for the new course from January, as I'm not taking a year out, I'm transferring to a new university within the same academic year or will they class the course I've being on since September as using a year of entitlement?

Thanks for any advice anybody can give! I tried to call SFE and the advisor was quite unhelpful, all I got told was 'it's down to the assessors, you might get full funding or you might not' which isn't really helpful.
    Moving this to the SFE forum. If they're unable to say on the phone it may just be that they have to check your case first before promising anything. It sounds like you are entitled to the 3 years and it will have to be worked out based on how much you have used already.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camy934)
    Hey,

Hi camy934,

If you transfer from your September start course to a new January start course, you will be entitled to claim support for both courses.

You can receive a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants appropriate for the period you attended the 1st course, plus a full year of support for the new course.

This will count as 2 years of support when calculating your future entitlement to support.

However, this will be subject to the previous study rule to determine if you will be eligible to receive the support for both periods.

So on the information you have provided, if you have already used the gift year, you may only be entitled to a maintenance loan only for the new course, without mitigating circumstances.

If the only previous study you have had, is the first year you have started of your current course, no other study prior to this, then that would be classed as the gift year and you would receive full support for the new course that you are transferring to.

If you are planning to transfer from a course in order to begin a new course in the same academic year you should submit a Change of Circumstances form in the normal way (either yourself or the university can send this electronically on your behalf).

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.