Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So here I am, 9 or so weeks into year 13, questioning my decisions and time spent until now, what I'm going to do with my life and why on earth I've wasted so much time feeling sorry for myself and doing nothing about it, I'm just thankful that I've come to a realisation this early in the year.

So, my dilemma is that I'm almost completely unsure in what I want to do next year, I’d have liked to have seen myself pursuing graphic design, particularly branding and print and the marketing and meaning behind design, I can’t say that I know exactly what this is called or which routes I’d have to take to get there, I could continue onto a graphic design course but I feel that it almost definitely wouldn’t be worth my time, I don’t doubt myself at all but I feel that I’m meant for more than a crappy salary, staying fixed in one place for the next few years with near to no job security, I’m currently studying 2 A-levels, Business studies and Media studies, media being the subject that I particularly excel in as well a AS film studies and core maths, with these subjects alone it would mean that my options are very limited due to UCAS points and any courses that I’d have the opportunity to follow wouldn’t be worthwhile, I’m not even entirely sure if I’m committed enough to continue with design work, however I do enjoy but don’t find myself completely immersed with enjoyment in, I see myself as a creative with lots of potential, I love the idea of film making or music production but I really really am stuck with what to do, if anybody could even give me some brief guidance or direct me towards anything I’d be extremely grateful as I honestly am on a downwards spiral of stress building day by day in which I have never had the insight to try and work myself out of until now, many thanks in advance.

-digitalbath x
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by digitalbath)
    So here I am, 9 or so weeks into year 13, questioning my decisions and time spent until now, what I'm going to do with my life and why on earth I've wasted so much time feeling sorry for myself and doing nothing about it, I'm just thankful that I've come to a realisation this early in the year.

So, my dilemma is that I'm almost completely unsure in what I want to do next year, I’d have liked to have seen myself pursuing graphic design, particularly branding and print and the marketing and meaning behind design, I can’t say that I know exactly what this is called or which routes I’d have to take to get there, I could continue onto a graphic design course but I feel that it almost definitely wouldn’t be worth my time, I don’t doubt myself at all but I feel that I’m meant for more than a crappy salary, staying fixed in one place for the next few years with near to no job security, I’m currently studying 2 A-levels, Business studies and Media studies, media being the subject that I particularly excel in as well a AS film studies and core maths, with these subjects alone it would mean that my options are very limited due to UCAS points and any courses that I’d have the opportunity to follow wouldn’t be worthwhile, I’m not even entirely sure if I’m committed enough to continue with design work, however I do enjoy but don’t find myself completely immersed with enjoyment in, I see myself as a creative with lots of potential, I love the idea of film making or music production but I really really am stuck with what to do, if anybody could even give me some brief guidance or direct me towards anything I’d be extremely grateful as I honestly am on a downwards spiral of stress building day by day in which I have never had the insight to try and work myself out of until now, many thanks in advance.

-digitalbath x

You are in danger of sleepwalking into disaster or mediocrity because you have no fixed points.

You need to solve three problems.

1. Get the qualifications you need. That means working hard and doing well because that will give you options. and limit them severely if you do poorly.

2. Work out what degree (if any) most suits what you wish to do. That means research and looking at different degrees and courses at different unis to see if you can find one that appeals. If you cant then do not go.
    See if theres a course that contains he elements of branding and design you are interested in.

3. Work out a career to aspire to. If you can find that out then its just a case of making sure 1 and 2 are sufficient to get you there. Look for these books at the library or careers or get a second hand copy.

http://www.thejobcrowd.com/graduates/careers

There are plenty of career id books.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-...NA73MNF0AA16JR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-You-Ar...NJ00VB4DX91197

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pathfinder-...PDQ7ZZ7M84TS6V

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-...QPF5915RGP74CM

You arent going to find out all this information sat on your backside, so your exams need to be done well to get the grades and you need to get on top of that.

The books I suggested plus additional research can help you id the right courses.

The books i suggested can help you id the right career.

All the advice in the world does no good unless you start to help yourself by doing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.