The Student Room Group

What is education for ???

What is education for ??? Giving evidence to responses please and Thankyou
(edited 6 years ago)
So that we can contribute to a better society. 😎😜🔥
Everything in life, including education, is pointless as the universe will eventually disappear and we will die.
Anyway, it is my belief that we are logically impossible, and our consciousness isn't possible either.

We live in a universe that came from nothing, on a small blue dot in this vast nothingness - randomly suspended by the mysterious force we call gravity.
Original post by Budgiegirl5

Hi Budgeiegirl5 :hello:, this is a very interesting question. I studied Education for my undergraduate degree and the purpose of education was the first question we explored on the course. If you are exploring the purposes of education for an assignment, you may be interested in reading 'Introduction to Education Studies' by Bartlett & Burton (3rd edition) which was a core text for me in my first year.

If you are asking more generally, I think similarly to HotDetermination, education for Social Order and 'a better society' is quite an interesting area to consider.

Are you currently at uni? If so what course are you studying?

Ruth

I never really thought about the purpose of education while I was in school, and so I didn't really appreciate the opportunities I had to learn when I had them, apart from the few subjects I did enjoy. But recently, whether it's to do with maturity and growing up, or being struck by a similar existential feeling that Harold Saxon up there seems to have been hit by, I have really started to appreciate education and wished that I had payed more attention in school so that I could have a wider knowledge of all the subjects I'd been taught.

For me, education makes me feel more rounded and understanding of the things I come across in life. Having knowledge of communication (this is what I study at uni) helps me to form and maintain better relationships because I understand them better, and having learnt about emotional intelligence and a little about social psychology helps me not only to understand my own mind and why I do things, but to understand and help other people as well. I wish I knew more about science and biology, because I find our planet pretty incredible and it's amazing that we know so much about our planet and its life, we have studied it in so much depth. It's another thing we need to appreciate and so education helps us to do that.

Like Harold said, we were born into this world by a pretty unbelievable miracle, in an unimaginable universe we have been lucky enough to live and thrive in the first place, and now to have the consciousness that we do (sometimes luck, sometimes a curse). Anyway, the way I see it, is that in the bigger picture existence doesn't necessarily have a purpose (outside of society), but that through coincidence we're alive and living on this planet in this universe, and if one day it won't be there any more, we should learn everything we can about it while we can. It's pretty incredible, as I said.

There are many reasons for education, but this is how I feel about it!
Hi Ruth. I’m currently a yr1 undergraduate studying special educational needs and disability. My assignment title is- what is education for ??? I’m finding it a very broad subject and difficult to write a plan of action never mind an assignment :/ it has to be 1500 words. Thankyou for your response so far
Liverpool hope university. Hoping you can see my reply. Unsure as to how to navigate this forum
Liverpool :- I’m currently a yr1 undergraduate studying special educational needs and disability. My assignment title is- what is education for ??? I’m finding it a very broad subject and difficult to write a plan of action never mind an assignment :/ it has to be 1500 words. Thankyou for your response so far
Hi Ruth. I’m currently a yr1 undergraduate studying special educational needs and disability. My assignment title is- what is education for ??? I’m finding it a very broad subject and difficult to write a plan of action never mind an assignment :/ it has to be 1500 words. Thankyou for your response so far

Hi :smile:

I studied Education & Special Educational Needs as a combined course and I am now studying a Masters in Disability studies so we have very similar interests.

I completely understand, in first year my essay question was 'what is the purpose of education' which is such a broad question and can be approached in so many ways.

Do you have any ideas in mind on how you would like to approach the question? What areas have you covered so far on your course?

Ruth
So far we have looked at inclusive education and how we can maintain an inclusive environment. Also studies critical and global perspectives of special educational needs and send. We have looked at transferable skills which increase employability
So far we have looked at inclusive education and how we can maintain an inclusive environment. Also studies critical and global perspectives of special educational needs and send. We have looked at transferable skills which increase employability

Ahh okay, it may be worth considering how the key concepts you have discussed in class may link to the purpose of education? for example is education inclusive or does it have any other purposes which may restrict inclusion?

Of course there are so many angles you can appraoch this from, I would be interested in what approach you have taken to answer the question?

Ruth
I may look at it to increase employability , education focus’s on trransferable skills which are vital to employers? What do you think
Education for employment is a good focus. Remember to relate it back to Special Educational Needs and Disability

Best of luck :smile:
Ruth
This assignment is for the module learning in higher education. So far we’ve concentrated in transferable skills, we had to do a presentation on how transferable skills help increase employability. Now we been given this assignment “what is education for?” , so it makes sense to me thT u should focus on the angle thT education has a focus on transferable skills which help us in later life, to become good citizens and to support us in regards to employment. When looking at the national curriculum it seems to support what I’ve said too what do you think ??
-Knowledge - For jobs = for societal growth/structure.
-Reduction of poverty, lessening inequalities.
-Health e.g. contraceptive education in LEDC's.
-Change e.g. Ghandian philosophy comes from his UK education.
-Innovation - creating opportunities/inventions

I could go on...
Original post by Harold Saxon
Everything in life, including education, is pointless as the universe will eventually disappear and we will die.
Anyway, it is my belief that we are logically impossible, and our consciousness isn't possible either.

We live in a universe that came from nothing, on a small blue dot in this vast nothingness - randomly suspended by the mysterious force we call gravity.

Nice formal fallacy. Claiming 'my belief' contradicts that 'our consciousness isn't possible'. Now that's a logical impossibility.

*Yawn* existential nihilism is so 19th century.
Government earner. Thankyou for your response. I think I’m going to look at the 3 areas , education is to develop citizenship, occupational preparation and personal growth. What do you think ??
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Nice formal fallacy. Claiming 'my belief' contradicts that 'our consciousness isn't possible'. Now that's a logical impossibility.

*Yawn* existential nihilism is so 19th century.

I sense a disturbance in the force.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending