Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My younger sister is pregnant before me Watch

Hey,
    I am the oldest of 4 kids (im 18) and my younger sister is pregnant (17).
    My problem is, is that im slightly jealous of her. Dont get me wrong, im happy for her and everything, but i feel as though i should be the first one pregnant as i am the first child.
    I dont really know why i feel like this, and i didnt even think i would feel like this and i just dont know tbh
    I didnt really know where to put this but i feel like i need to get it out there idk

Any advice is appreciated xx

ReputationRep:
    Be grateful that it's your sister who's ruined her social life.. not you.

Getting pregnant isn't a race. Wait till you find the right guy or else you'll just end up regretting it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a race. Many girls your age would consider pregnancy to be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    As said above, it’s not a race - getting pregnant at 17 is nothing to be proud of and I’m sure she didn’t plan this. I do understand where you’re coming from, I’d be a bit miffed if my brother had a baby before me because I want my kids to be my parents first grandkids if that makes sense ... on a purely selfish level.

ReputationRep:
    Getting pregnant at 17 is a great way to ruin your future career prospects. Consider yourself lucky you aren’t in her position.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to say that you're lucky not to be pregnant as it's your sister's choice and I'm not going to judge her for that, but just think about what a great Aunt you're going to be and how much joy this baby will bring to the family. It means you get all the benefits of being around a baby but still being able to keep your old life. There's no competition here, either, as she's only a year younger than you so it's not odd at all if she were to get married or pregnant first.

ReputationRep:
    This means you get to be the cool fun aunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,
    My problem is, is that im slightly jealous of her. Dont get me wrong, im happy for her and everything, but i feel as though i should be the first one pregnant as i am the first child.
    I dont really know why i feel like this, and i didnt even think i would feel like this and i just dont know tbh
    I didnt really know where to put this but i feel like i need to get it out there idk

Did your sister intend to fall pregnant? and does she have a boyfriend to support her?
    is she studying like in college?

ReputationRep:
    It's only a one year difference I wouldn't get jealous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

Dont be sad about it, you will be an auntie and can play with the kid all day long.

If the jealousy kicks in, just have a kid with your bf. I dont recommend it but it would be better to do so than having to dislike the kid for the actions of his mother.

ReputationRep:
    Didn’t realise it was a race

ReputationRep:
    Please stop comparing your life to others, just live your life out hun, if you want to get preggo, get yourself a lad, or go to a sperm bank, but you can't do it out of social pressure, that's just irrational.
    You gotta do what's right for you, at the right time

Therein lies the problem with the youth of today. They have strong present time orientation.

Awhh well there’s not much you can do about it but to distract yourself from your negative feelings, just remember that your sister is a physical reminder to live your life to the fullest before you have to be responsible for another human being..
    Travel the world
    Wear clothes that fit you
    Eat as much as you want
    Get as many things as you can done
    And most importantly ENJOY!!!

ReputationRep:
    you're equally as stupid as each other. Your sister for getting pregnant at 17, and you for thinking that's an accomplishment

ReputationRep:
    Lol why would you be jealous of your sister - She's ruined her life...

ReputationRep:
    so youre jel

17 is quite early to be pregnant, you will be happier in the long run for waiting and for building up ur career etc.

ReputationRep:
    OK don't take this the wrong way (cuz she is your sister and everything) but getting pregnant at 17 OR 18 RUINS your life! If you were pregnant right now you'd have to say goodbye to the idea of going to university, doing an apprenticeship or college etc for at least a year and even when you started , it wouldn't be the same, if you went to uni you wouldn't be able to get totally smashed at Freshers Week and have an amazing time staying out every night partying, NO NO NO you would be going to your local university, still living with your parents, never able to drink cuz hello?? You have a BABY to look after! And you'll have to say no to most invites you get to events and parties since you'll have zero time for a social life what with studying and looking after a baby, it would be extremely stressful, like a total NIGHTMARE.
    Unless your only aspirations are to live off benefits and in a council house, DO NOT get pregnant now, it will just ruin your life.
    In teenage pregnancies, nearly all of the time the guy leaves, soo you'd be left with 100% of the childcare (unless you want to burden your family and friends) AND 100% of the financial responsibilities (again unless you beg your friends/family to help). Dating is NOTORIOUSLY IMPOSSIBLE for single mothers, so yeah while all of your friends are getting married and having their dream wedding you'd be stuck in council house all by yourself with just your child to keep you company, I bet they'd be soo jelous of you!!
    Don't you want your future children to be raised in a nice home, with two financially stable adults who have good proffesions and are happily married? If you just wait a few years that could become a reality!
    My best friend who's 18 is pregnant, I do get where you're coming from, a baby is exciting and cute!! But that part definitely doesn't last forver, you've got to think about the future and how having a baby would effect those plans xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.