The Student Room Group

Leaving sainsburys- 4 weeks notice

Any Sainsbury’s employees that could help?? I am 16 years old and have only worked at Sainsbury’s for about 6 weeks. The week I started my dad had a stroke and I had to take that day off (my 3rd shift) they put this down as a sick day which I think is pretty unreasonable. I suffer with anxiety and on my second week I worked 2 hours (out of 4) and just had to tell my supervisor that I felt sick because I felt so teary and horrible with all the stress (I went straight from a full day of college to sainsburys) I just had to go home, my manager knew this was all because of my situation with my dad after speaking to her . This was put as another sick day which is fair enough (although given the circumstances I think it’s pretty harsh on me). Then last week after having no sick days I took one off this time for actually being ill and the next day I went in for my shift and I got a written warning- my manager said I’ve taken about 4 days off sick (which is untrue anyway) and she said ‘I’m not sacking you yet’. I handed in my notice the day after because I hate the job anyway and they’re clearly not very understanding of my situation. I experience high levels of anxiety before going to work and I have to give 4 weeks notice after working there for 4 more weeks (which I’ve worked 6 weeks). Although I just wondered if there was any way I could avoid this as working there really is horrible for me. If I spoke to HR would they be able to do anything? I’m tempted to just not go in ever again and delete it off my CV completely as my reference sounds as if it would be pretty bad anyway due to the verbal warning. Please could anyone help?? Thank you
Reply 1
Yeah you could just call in sick everyday, or tell them you will not be coming in for mental health issues you're currently dealing with.
Reply 2
Original post by ᒍack
Yeah you could just call in sick everyday, or tell them you will not be coming in for mental health issues you're currently dealing with.
but then I’m worried that they’ll sack me- this would definitely mean I’d have to delete it off my CV - would I get paid for the shifts I haven’t been paid for yet? I don’t really want to get fired I would rather leave on good terms, I just didn’t know if there was any way to avoid the 4 weeks notice
Original post by Frankiemaya
but then I’m worried that they’ll sack me- this would definitely mean I’d have to delete it off my CV - would I get paid for the shifts I haven’t been paid for yet? I don’t really want to get fired I would rather leave on good terms, I just didn’t know if there was any way to avoid the 4 weeks notice

They'd still have to pay you for the time worked.
I know this is an old post but this has literally described my situation perfectly. I have a sick note now covering me for a month, and I'm handing my notice in on Thursday. Wonder if I will still get paid my holiday if I have the sick note to cover me? Guess we will find out. Hope you are a lot happier now. You seem like a really genuine lad. Best of luck.
Original post by Janmolby1706
I know this is an old post but this has literally described my situation perfectly. I have a sick note now covering me for a month, and I'm handing my notice in on Thursday. Wonder if I will still get paid my holiday if I have the sick note to cover me? Guess we will find out. Hope you are a lot happier now. You seem like a really genuine lad. Best of luck.

Guessing you are new to the company so don't get paid company sick pay? The issue here is that holidays are an absolute right for employees, so say you were off sick for a year, when you come back you'd get your six weeks of pro-rata holiday pay 'back'. The reasons for this are so if someone is sick they don't get 'cheated' out of holiday pay, although many employees often don't claim back as they don't know or they don't want it to be put down as sick (as the company has an extremely harsh absence policy).

If you have followed the correct 'ringing in' procedure you'll get paid sickness pay (probably statutory minimum). So an hour before shift, whatever it is now. If off for more than seven days note given in a reasonable time etc. You would then at some point in the future get a final payslip from the company bunging you the holiday pay you never took (because you were signed off sick).

Only problems with the system, was when it was under the old system the DAS had to be done and then the system and final superduper hours stuff got signed off by the store manager on monday by midday I think it was. Lots of managers who didn't work weekends running around trying to log stuff on the system before Friday before the Monday. As I understand it now (I don't work for them now) is that with HR gone it's all done by your manager.

Tip for anyone working for the company with mental health problems - you DO NOT have to ring in every day. If a manager rings you up every day or tells you to they are either a bad manager, an idiot or pushing emotional buttons and taking advantage of you. You tell them the estimated time you are off and if that changes you update them. If it's a long amount of time contact once a week might be appropriate.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you just walked out, they'd have to pay you for the time you've worked and you'd be burning your bridges- but a 6 week job isn't really worth putting on your CV or using as a reference.

Having 3 days off in your first few weeks with a company really isn't great- companies want to see committed and reliable employees. I understand the first time off was pretty unavoidable, but honestly from a manager's point of view, this just looks very flake-y. I'm also not sure what else you expect her to record the sick days as, unless you wanted to use annual leave for them? She may have even done it as a favour so you get sick pay, rather than taking it as unpaid leave.

It doesn't sound like you're in the right place to have a part time job right now, so I would treat this experience as a lesson learned and maybe a sign that you need to work on your anxiety a bit.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Having 3 days off in your first few weeks with a company really isn't great- companies want to see committed and reliable employees. I understand the first time off was pretty unavoidable, but honestly from a manager's point of view, this just looks very flake-y. I'm also not sure what else you expect her to record the sick days as, unless you wanted to use annual leave for them? She may have even done it as a favour so you get sick pay, rather than taking it as unpaid leave.

I respectfully disagree.

Care for dependants. Not a blanket use, you have to communicate, you have to use the right language.

All right, so people are going to argue about how that one should be used, but if you sit down and look at examples in the company of where it's applied and where it isn't it's interesting.

People need to read up on the absence policy. Or talk to others if you don't understand. So basically the OP (a year ago and not relevant) got a written letter because the manager noted those 4 days down as 3 absences. When I worked for the company 3 absences was possible disciplinary. Six in a year often meant the person getting a final written warning (but firings did happen). Doing part shifts people get treated very harshly under these Bradford Index type systems. In other companies they use a % threshold which can start triggering at 3-4%.

The issue with care for dependants is the system isn't perfect. Employers are allowed to record them, but not count them as absence - although some bad managers will try that on.

Managers can sometimes sign off whatever they want, so can be signed off as unpaid leave (unusual), the issue there that people often don't understand was that the company measured it's weeks Sunday to Saturday, so if making up the hours a manager would in theory be up for it if it was in the same week, however many didn't understand why they wouldn't let them make up hours next week.
Original post by marinade
I respectfully disagree.

Care for dependants. Not a blanket use, you have to communicate, you have to use the right language.

All right, so people are going to argue about how that one should be used, but if you sit down and look at examples in the company of where it's applied and where it isn't it's interesting.

People need to read up on the absence policy. Or talk to others if you don't understand. So basically the OP (a year ago and not relevant) got a written letter because the manager noted those 4 days down as 3 absences. When I worked for the company 3 absences was possible disciplinary. Six in a year often meant the person getting a final written warning (but firings did happen). Doing part shifts people get treated very harshly under these Bradford Index type systems. In other companies they use a % threshold which can start triggering at 3-4%.

The issue with care for dependants is the system isn't perfect. Employers are allowed to record them, but not count them as absence - although some bad managers will try that on.

Managers can sometimes sign off whatever they want, so can be signed off as unpaid leave (unusual), the issue there that people often don't understand was that the company measured it's weeks Sunday to Saturday, so if making up the hours a manager would in theory be up for it if it was in the same week, however many didn't understand why they wouldn't let them make up hours next week.

As I understand it, time of for dependents is only used when the person the issue applies to is already a dependent of the employee. Unless OP already cared for her father, he would not be seen as a dependent just because he has been taken ill.

Care for dependents is usually unpaid, unless the contract specifies otherwise, whereas sick leave should be paid. So OP's manager may have thought that she would prefer to have it put down as a day of sick leave and be paid, not anticipating future absences.

I agree that it may have helped the OP, as it can't be used for disciplinary reasons. It could still be listed on a reference, though.

However, it sounds like OP has already decided to quit and is just trying to work out the best way to go about this, and whether walking away and burning her bridges is such a terrible thing to do.

In this case, I wouldn't want to use the employer as a reference anyway, so IMO, there are no major negative consequences to just walking out.
As I understand it, time of for dependents is only used when the person the issue applies to is already a dependent of the employee. Unless OP already cared for her father, he would not be seen as a dependent just because he has been taken ill.

Care for dependents is usually unpaid, unless the contract specifies otherwise, whereas sick leave should be paid. So OP's manager may have thought that she would prefer to have it put down as a day of sick leave and be paid, not anticipating future absences.

I agree that it may have helped the OP, as it can't be used for disciplinary reasons. It could still be listed on a reference, though.

However, it sounds like OP has already decided to quit and is just trying to work out the best way to go about this, and whether walking away and burning her bridges is such a terrible thing to do.

In this case, I wouldn't want to use the employer as a reference anyway, so IMO, there are no major negative consequences to just walking out.

You are taking things a bit too literally. I understand what care for dependants is, I spent a vast amount of my time in the company arguing with managers about it (often they will budge and things can be interpreted in a more generous light than legal minimum). Yes it's unpaid, however here we're talking absolute bread and butter issues that crop up every day in the company such as how understanding are the company, can a I hack working for them etc. Absence issues, very widely debated in the company.

How is the manager to know that a parent, if you live at the same address isn't being cared for? Given that the taken ill to hospital is the most widely quoted example in the literature I really would emphasize people to think about language used/where it's applicable/not.

Company in question, the stroke scenario, has been used numerous times in said company in question successfully by employees. You don't ask you don't get. Many employees don't ask and then there are these horrific arguments where someone is on 6/7 absences and getting fired and looks back and says so and so on the checkouts has 11 absences and 2 of them weren't counted because they look after their parent and they had a stroke and went to hospital.

I assume the OP has quit, and I assume the post I was replying to.

Often the issues are resolvable. In terms of having anxiety and working for a supermarket, there is vast variation in how you are treated. Often with anxiety people aren't great at speaking up for themselves and get **** on. When things reach a bad stage (here) comparisons can then be made to the 20% of people with anxiety who have no problem communicating most assertively (a bit too much in some cases) with their managers.
Original post by marinade
You are taking things a bit too literally. I understand what care for dependants is, I spent a vast amount of my time in the company arguing with managers about it (often they will budge and things can be interpreted in a more generous light than legal minimum). Yes it's unpaid, however here we're talking absolute bread and butter issues that crop up every day in the company such as how understanding are the company, can a I hack working for them etc. Absence issues, very widely debated in the company.

How is the manager to know that a parent, if you live at the same address isn't being cared for? Given that the taken ill to hospital is the most widely quoted example in the literature I really would emphasize people to think about language used/where it's applicable/not.

Company in question, the stroke scenario, has been used numerous times in said company in question successfully by employees. You don't ask you don't get. Many employees don't ask and then there are these horrific arguments where someone is on 6/7 absences and getting fired and looks back and says so and so on the checkouts has 11 absences and 2 of them weren't counted because they look after their parent and they had a stroke and went to hospital.

I assume the OP has quit, and I assume the post I was replying to.

Often the issues are resolvable. In terms of having anxiety and working for a supermarket, there is vast variation in how you are treated. Often with anxiety people aren't great at speaking up for themselves and get **** on. When things reach a bad stage (here) comparisons can then be made to the 20% of people with anxiety who have no problem communicating most assertively (a bit too much in some cases) with their managers.

Most parents are not the dependent of their children. I would argue that the manager would be overstepping massively if she assumed this. Yes, maybe she could have brought this up as an option with the OP- but really, if her dad is/was a dependent then I think it's on the OP to bring this up.

I suppose OP could argue this retrospectively if it's the case, but it sounds like she would rather leave the job anyway so this is all academic.

I missed this one.

I've never heard of that happening. That would be seriously scary. As you can't suffer detriment from using the right, that would scare the living daylights out of any reasonable HR person. I'm not sure on the eventual outcome of that but case law comments on records. An employer would get roasted alive trying.
Most parents are not the dependent of their children. I would argue that the manager would be overstepping massively if she assumed this. Yes, maybe she could have brought this up as an option with the OP- but really, if her dad is/was a dependent then I think it's on the OP to bring this up.

I suppose OP could argue this retrospectively if it's the case, but it sounds like she would rather leave the job anyway so this is all academic.

Most are not, but it's not exactly uncommon. A manager wouldn't assume this, the employee has to communicate and do so within reasonable time beforehand/as soon as possible after. Retrospectively no, it's incredibly unlikely to happen, it's a thing you need to use at the time. That's the problem with having anxiety in a supermarket, 80% of people with anxiety aren't good at standing up for their rights/being treated fairly, so get trampled on/just ignored or things deteriorate more than they need to.

In terms of the company for anyone with anxiety/depression/migraines, the other thing I would recommend is looking into 'linked absences'. If you have multiple occasions off with the same condition, it should be counted as one absence. So three times migraine + sickness + flu = 3, not 5 etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending