Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need advice but no one answers my questions?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At the minute I am in my second year of a level 3 IT BTEC and am intending to move onto a degree apprenticeship when I have completed it in June 2018. I am 18 and will be 19 in August 2018. I currently claim income support and it is just enough to live on at the moment. I also get housing benefit and council tax exemption because I am in full time education.
    Would all of this stop when I move onto my apprenticeship? And if so would I be entitled to any other benefit or would I have to live off the money I receive from my apprenticeship (£3.50 p/h) until I finish my first year and get the National Living Wage after that.
    If it does stop and I am not entitled to any other benefit could I realistically live off apprentice wage if I can currently only just get by on £115 every 2 weeks with housing benefit and council tax exemption.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's Everyday Bro, with that Disney Channel flow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sEverydayBro)
    At the minute I am in my second year of a level 3 IT BTEC and am intending to move onto a degree apprenticeship when I have completed it in June 2018. I am 18 and will be 19 in August 2018. I currently claim income support and it is just enough to live on at the moment. I also get housing benefit and council tax exemption because I am in full time education.
    Would all of this stop when I move onto my apprenticeship? And if so would I be entitled to any other benefit or would I have to live off the money I receive from my apprenticeship (£3.50 p/h) until I finish my first year and get the National Living Wage after that.
    If it does stop and I am not entitled to any other benefit could I realistically live off apprentice wage if I can currently only just get by on £115 every 2 weeks with housing benefit and council tax exemption.
    Thanks
    You don't get housing benefit as a full time student. So either you're being fraudulent or you're lying. Your story is strange.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I confused income support for something else. I'm fairly certain you can't get housing benefit as a full time student. Do you have a child/are you a lone parent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    You don't get housing benefit as a full time student. So either you're being fraudulent or you're lying. Your story is strange.
    I am not being fraudulent or lying
    See the following:
    If you're a full-time student, you may be able to claim housing benefit if you:
    are under 21 and not in higher education (for example, studying A-levels at college)
    receive income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance, or income-related employment and support allowance
    live in supported accommodation and receive universal credit
    have dependent children who are classed as part of your household are a lone foster carer
    have a disability and qualify for a disability premium or severe disability premium
    get a disabled student's allowance because you are deaf

Source: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ousing_benefit

ReputationRep:
    I am not being fraudulent or lying
    See the following:
    If you're a full-time student, you may be able to claim housing benefit if you:
    are under 21 and not in higher education (for example, studying A-levels at college)
    receive income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance, or income-related employment and support allowance
    live in supported accommodation and receive universal credit
    have dependent children who are classed as part of your household are a lone foster carer
    have a disability and qualify for a disability premium or severe disability premium
    get a disabled student's allowance because you are deaf

Source: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ousing_benefit
    I don't see that here: https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/eligibility

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it doesn't say it in writing, however by looking at the words used on the page, it can be implied there are circumstances in which exceptions can be made,

You may get Housing Benefit if:
    you pay rent
    you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
    your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

See that it states you may get housing benefit if you are on low income or recieving benefits and under the 'who isn't eligible' heading it states 'usually you can't get benefits if ... you're a full time student ...' The word usually implies there are occasions where this isn't the case.
    I wouldn't claim anything if I wasn't entitled to it.
    I'd rather not be on benefits but at this moment in time it's my only option as work is difficult to find and even then I wouldn't earn enough to support myself fully whilst also being committed to college and the workload I have.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it doesn't say it in writing, however by looking at the words used on the page, it can be implied there are circumstances in which exceptions can be made,

You may get Housing Benefit if:
    you pay rent
    you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
    your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

See that it states you may get housing benefit if you are on low income or recieving benefits and under the 'who isn't eligible' heading it states 'usually you can't get benefits if ... you're a full time student ...' The word usually implies there are occasions where this isn't the case.
    I wouldn't claim anything if I wasn't entitled to it.
    I'd rather not be on benefits but at this moment in time it's my only option as work is difficult to find and even then I wouldn't earn enough to support myself fully whilst also being committed to college and the workload I have.
    Okay sorry bro! Thanks for enlightening me. Bruh don't feel bad about being on benefits EVER, I'm on them myself. The government takes the piss out of us, we can take the piss back. The rich don't put back into the system, we do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    All I can suggest is that you contact both connexions and citizens advice to see if you can get more information. I was also an apprentice a couple years ago when the wage was £2.65 and there was no way personally that I could have sustained myself in a rented place and buy food, travel expenses etc.

I'm kinda in a similar situation that I am employed but only with a weekend job contracted 5 hours, I do sometimes get overtime but it's not guaranteed. Since I'm taking a break out of my uni course i'm not sure if I am entitled to any benefits either, the contract on my current house is up after December and at this moment in time I am going to have to move back in with my parents :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Hello

You can get income support and housing benefit if you are estranged from your parents and in full time education until the age of 19. I moved out at 17 and was entitled to all of these things, the government does not make a big song and dance about it though as they don't want young people leaving home as it will cost them more money!

I think there are benefits if you are on a low income and in education but these are not going to be as substantial as benefits. May I ask how much time during the week you are expected to spend on your apprenticeship? It may be worth looking into part time work. There is very little help for people in education once you get the higher levels, a complete flaw in the system if you ask me. We should be helping people that want to learn and get jobs where they will no longer have to rely on the state. My friends who left school and have never contributed to the tax system have had far more help from the government than I ever did! Now taxes from my wages go to funding their lifestyles! Crazy! but that is another argument altogether....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.