Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tell me honestly, are lectures really that important? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a top up course, and I have noticed so far that lectures are just the same thing over and over again. For example, each week we get given articles to read and then answer questions that the tutor set us relating to that article - next week we go to class, discuss the questions in the article and the process gets repeated. Everything is also uploaded onto Blackboard, including lecture slides.

I like the tutor but I feel like I have better things to be doing! For example, I have a presentation in a couple of weeks time so I have to sit, look through academic journals and then extract relevant facts and figures for that which will take hours. I have my dissertation research to do, I have short assignments set every week to complete so I have to do deeper reading and do that, plus 2 other assignments to prepare for before Christmas!

Sorry for rambling. I guess my question is this: I have to use my ID badge to sign in every lecture. Is this imperative? Will it stop me receiving any loans or grants if I don't? I study in the library too so I sign in there to prove I am "at uni".

Will my "attendance" affect my overall degree classification?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socialscience92)
    I am doing a top up course, and I have noticed so far that lectures are just the same thing over and over again. For example, each week we get given articles to read and then answer questions that the tutor set us relating to that article - next week we go to class, discuss the questions in the article and the process gets repeated. Everything is also uploaded onto Blackboard, including lecture slides.

I like the tutor but I feel like I have better things to be doing! For example, I have a presentation in a couple of weeks time so I have to sit, look through academic journals and then extract relevant facts and figures for that which will take hours. I have my dissertation research to do, I have short assignments set every week to complete so I have to do deeper reading and do that, plus 2 other assignments to prepare for before Christmas!

Sorry for rambling. I guess my question is this: I have to use my ID badge to sign in every lecture. Is this imperative? Will it stop me receiving any loans or grants if I don't? I study in the library too so I sign in there to prove I am "at uni".

Will my "attendance" affect my overall degree classification?
    Your university and course attendance policy is what you need to read.

If you’re tapping in to lectures it’s going to be quickly spotted if you stop attending. You need to find out what your university will do in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the exact same. I travel to uni so I sometimes think with some lectures that there isn't much point.
    To be honest, as said above, attendance may be an issue if they start to notice but at the end of the day you're a 9k investment for them so I doubt, unless it's a very top uni, that they'll do much. As long as you're getting the grades in your assignments I don't think they could care less about lectures. I may be wrong though!

ReputationRep:
    Morning TSR. Is It time for this thread again? “I’m too smart for lectures I basically taught myself dentistry”

Cool story guys. Just whatever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.