Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do some subjects for a level, but I feel like ppl who take that subject will be rly good at it, but I’m not. I just rly like it and enjoy it. What should I do pls help! Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berrydo)
    I want to do some subjects for a level, but I feel like ppl who take that subject will be rly good at it, but I’m not. I just rly like it and enjoy it. What should I do pls help! Thanks!!
    Why not?

If you got at least a grade B (is that a 6 in the new system?) then you're good enough for A-Levels.

There will always be people that are better than you, and also a lot worse than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Why not?

If you got at least a grade B (is that a 6 in the new system?) then you're good enough for A-Levels.

There will always be people that are better than you, and also a lot worse than you.
    To be honest I usually get grade 6/7/8/9s so I’m not that bad. But I just don’t have confidence. ((
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I usually get grade 6/7/8/9s so I’m not that bad. But I just don’t have confidence. ((
    Those grades are great. A-Levels aren't a massive jump. A lot of people exaggerate about the difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    Those grades are great. A-Levels aren't a massive jump. A lot of people exaggerate about the difficulty.
    Ok thanks ! And yeh I’m currently getting As n A* in maths with little or no revision... is the jump really that big now that the new gcse maths consists so much more a levels stuff than before? 🤔🤔

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks ! And yeh I’m currently getting As n A* in maths with little or no revision... is the jump really that big now that the new gcse maths consists so much more a levels stuff than before? 🤔🤔
    I did GCSEs in 2015 and A-Levels this Summer, so I did old spec GCSE and new spec A-Levels (apart from maths which was still old spec when I sat it). I'd imagine the jump is still pretty similar despite the reforms to GCSEs, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSEs in 2015 and A-Levels this Summer, so I did old spec GCSE and new spec A-Levels (apart from maths which was still old spec when I sat it). I'd imagine the jump is still pretty similar despite the reforms to GCSEs, to be honest.
    Had the syllabus changed? (For new a level) like does it have more topics or something??

ReputationRep:
    Had the syllabus changed? (For new a level) like does it have more topics or something??
    Maths A-Level has now been reformed. I believe some new topics have been added and some exams have been combined? I think mechanics and statistics are now one paper rather than being examined separately.

Do bear in mind they are graded on bell-curves, and chances are the exam boards will be forced to adjust the boundaries so that the proportion of students receiving top grades will be similar to the old spec, until all schools are familiar with the new system.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need to put time into A Level maths unlike GCSEs in order to get a good grade. I didn’t do much revision for GCSE maths and got an A*. I also didn’t do much for AS maths and got a C. It might be just me though.

ReputationRep:
    The jump is now smaller for new spec GCSE’s to a level. My younger sister is in year 10 and she’s learning all the things I’m learning in a level chemistry right now (I’m in year 12 doing new spec a levels) which I had never been taught during my GCSE’s. Same with biology. I took Maths new spec for GCSE this year and all the people taking it for a level are finding it so easy so far (I don’t take a level maths but was reading through one of my friends book of a level math questions and even I could attempt some of the questions from knowledge of harder stuff from new spec maths GCSE).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icypricy)
    The jump is now smaller for new spec GCSE’s to a level. My younger sister is in year 10 and she’s learning all the things I’m learning in a level chemistry right now which I had never been taught during my GCSE’s. Same with biology. I took Maths new spec for GCSE this year and all the people taking it for a level are finding it so easy so far (I don’t take a level maths but was reading through one of my friends book of a level math questions and even I could attempt some of the questions from knowledge of harder stuff from new spec maths GCSE.
    Oh wow that’s good then I guess

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.