The Student Room Group

PGDE Primary personal statement

Hello,

I have a Chemistry degree and currently work full time in this field. However, I'd like to get into primary teaching and plan on applying to UCAS in the next few weeks - i have a week booked off from work to assist in a classroom environment. I also have been helping in my local cubs group for the past year. Do you think this experience will be sufficient to secure an interview in Edin/Strath/Glasgow? I'm concerned I need more experience but cant afford more time off work...

Also, how can i relate my Chemistry degree to primary education? I'm struggling to fit this into my personal statement.

Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cemc123
Hello,

I have a Chemistry degree and currently work full time in this field. However, I'd like to get into primary teaching and plan on applying to UCAS in the next few weeks - i have a week booked off from work to assist in a classroom environment. I also have been helping in my local scouts group for the past year. Do you think this experience will be sufficient to secure an interview in Edin/Strath/Glasgow? I'm concerned I need more experience but cant afford more time off work...

Also, how can i relate my Chemistry degree to primary education? I'm struggling to fit this into my personal statement.

Thanks!

You need relevant work and primary experience according to the Edinburgh website so while both the experiences you mentioned should be fine for a start I think you will need more particularly in primary. @*Interrobang* will have more insight.
You don't need to relate your degree to primary teaching - you need to talk about your shadowing and skills, which are far more important. Look at the advice linked in my signature at the bottom of this post for more detailed advice :smile:
Reply 3
Great thank you! I’ll take a look :smile: I’m just concerned they’ll think I don’t have enough classroom experience. But I work a full time job ...and I’m taking holidays his week to go into a classroom! Stressing 😅
They might stipulate that you gain more before the start of the course. Ideally at least 2 weeks is helpful but just make sure that you learn and reflect a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending