Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If A is independent from B, and B is independent from C, is A independent from C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Simple example - you have a coin and a dice:

A : Toss the coin and get heads
    B : Roll the dice and get a 6
    C : Toss the coin and get tails

What do you think?
    Yes, but isn't it also possible in general for (say) A and C to be mutually exclusive (i.e. not independent) but for both to intersect separately with B such that A and B are independent and B and C are independent? In this case, A is independent from B, and B is independent from C, but A is not independent from C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWISH99)
    If A is independent from B, and B is independent from C, is A independent from C?
    I don't think so. A and C could depend on each other and B could still be independent from both. For example:

A: Probability that it is raining right now.
    B: Probability that I get a 6 when I roll a die.
    C: Probability that I take an umbrella.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    Yes, but isn't it also possible in general for (say) A and C to be mutually exclusive (i.e. not independent) but for both to intersect separately with B such that A and B are independent and B and C are independent? In this case, A is independent from B, and B is independent from C, but A is not independent from C.
    My post was a counter example to the claim made by the OP, which is all you need to disprove it. I’m a bit confused by your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    My post was a counter example to the claim made by the OP, which is all you need to disprove it. I’m a bit confused by your post.
    I think we are at cross-purposes. I took your event C to mean “toss the coin and get tails with the next throw”. Did you mean “toss the coin and get tails in the same throw as A”? If so I can see your point but then isn’t your C just A’ rather than being a separate event?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    I think we are at cross-purposes. I took your event C to mean “toss the coin and get tails with the next throw”. Did you mean “toss the coin and get tails in the same throw as A”? If so I can see your point but then isn’t your C just A’ rather than being a separate event?
    I just re-read my post and I see what you mean - I gave a bad example

I'll delete my post since TheMindGarage gave a correct example above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.