Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I’m doing A-Levels and have been predicted AAA and am considering applying for MENg in chemical engineering. However I am considering doing a BENg as part of my insurance at a uni with lower requirements. If I went into a BENg, in the process of getting CENg , can I just do an extra year to get MENg after 3-4 years study or is there any advantage to applying straight in to an MENg? I am aware that you need to work in industry 5 years after.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSC16)
    Hi,
    So I’m doing A-Levels and have been predicted AAA and am considering applying for MENg in chemical engineering. However I am considering doing a BENg as part of my insurance at a uni with lower requirements. If I went into a BENg, in the process of getting CENg , can I just do an extra year to get MENg after 3-4 years study or is there any advantage to applying straight in to an MENg? I am aware that you need to work in industry 5 years after.
    You can usually move "up" from the BEng to the MEng if you are doing well enough in Year 1 & 2. The first 2 years are the same for both degrees.

Alternatively you can graduate with BEng and then do an MSc. (There are funding considerations for both routes - have a look at some recent threads on the same topic in this forum.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You can usually move "up" from the BEng to the MEng if you are doing well enough in Year 1 & 2. The first 2 years are the same for both degrees.

Alternatively you can graduate with BEng and then do an MSc. (There are funding considerations for both routes - have a look at some recent threads on the same topic in this forum.)
    Thank you 😀
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSC16)
    Thank you 😀
    No problem
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No problem
    I’ve read that graduating with BENg and then doing an MSc doesn’t let you work in industry and is more of research. Is this correct or have I misunderstood ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSC16)
    I’ve read that graduating with BENg and then doing an MSc doesn’t let you work in industry and is more of research. Is this correct or have I misunderstood ?
    No no, that's not right. It used to be very common to do a MSc and then go into industry, it's just that most go down the MEng route now. Either is absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    No no, that's not right. It used to be very common to do a MSc and then go into industry, it's just that most go down the MEng route now. Either is absolutely fine.
    👌🏼

ReputationRep:
    Which route takes longer to become a chartered engineer or are they the same ?? (BENg+MSc or MENg)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSC16)
    Which route takes longer to become a chartered engineer or are they the same ?? (BENg+MSc or MENg)
    Both are 4 years (or 5 if you do a year in industry) to meet the academic requirements.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSC16)
    They're the same. Getting chartered is much more about the work you are doing than what your academic qualifications are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.