Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women sexualize themselves so much and then complain about sexualization? watch

ReputationRep:
    I see this on facebook,twitter,instagram ,snapchat,etc. They wear revealing clothes , post half naked pictures of themselves and under the same breath complain about sexualization?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pspai)
    I see this on facebook,twitter,instagram ,snapchat,etc. They wear revealing clothes , post half naked pictures of themselves and under the same breath complain about sexualization?
    Im not sure you under their argument. It's that they should be free to do what they like without being sexualised. You assume that being sexualised is the automatic reaction to something when it isnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nashh606)
    Im not sure you under their argument. It's that they should be free to do what they like without being sexualised. You assume that being sexualised is the automatic reaction to something when it isnt
    but it's women who sexualise themselves isnt it? They wear revealing clothes and complain about how women are sexualization when they see other women doing the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pspai)
    but it's women who sexualise themselves isnt it? They wear revealing clothes and complain about how women are sexualization when they see other women doing the same thing
    Sexualisation is a matter of perspective. You're sexualising them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly not.I'm asking why they sexualize each other.

Here's a decent example.Take Hollywood celebrities for instance. They participate in magazine covers featuring themselves naked, and occasionally in bikini shoots too.This is all based on their own decisions.Yet , they use the very existence of these magazines and photo-shoots as 'proof' that women are sexualized.

Girls do the same.They post naked pictures of themselves all over their social networks, and as soon as they see other girls do it, they wonder why women are sexualized

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I am not sure . If I a where to have guess . I think it just make them feel powerful . To get attention from others . But maybe at the same time they just dislike when other women do it

ReputationRep:
    why do you generalize an entire gender? So you're saying all 51% of the population sexualize themselves? Shut up.
    It's called having a choice, it's really not hard. There's a difference between choosing for yourself and having it thrust upon you when you don't want it. Let women express themselves how they want and mind your own business.

ReputationRep:
    I'll try and keep it simple.

It is empowering. Like when a man flexes his muscles he feels strong, masculine. A woman may also want to feel strong, or beautiful, or sexy, or fit. But that is for HER own sake. How we express our feelings and identity is through our clothing. She is not dressing like that so unwanted eyes oggle her, and berate or harass her. When someone cooks their own meal they are proud of, however delicious or taboo, it would be disrespectful to assume that that meal was for YOUR mouth. Women do not exist to solely be oggled at, but as I explain in the next paragraph they may choose to be.

A woman may upload pictures for the sake of getting compliments- vanity, if you wish. So some women want to be oggled at. Especially from her friends, who may be like-minded. Some even go as far as to directly say that they want the attention of guys (or other girls depending on her sexuality). Some girls are promiscuous and that is also fine, not because we should accept the promiscuity but accept that we can't do anything about it, nor can we tell her what to do or impose on her identity. Regardless, that is none of your business. It is her business and hers only.

Please stop generalizing women to the hollywood standard. They are paid to do that. You clearly do not understand women enough as people to be making these assumptions. However, let me make it clear, I encourage your effort to try and understand.

ReputationRep:
    For the most part I think that's a bit of a generalisation. I'd say it's a minority of people who act like that, I do know a few people (guys included) who do carry on as such though. This may sound obvious but I think some of it is down to who you surround yourself with online or offline. I personally wouldn't add those types of people, not really because of the behaviour (though that might be a factor) but because I tend to be an introverted person so I don't tend to meet people like that or attract them as friends. However I do agree with your point about Hollywood mentioned in a reply, though it might seem more common than it is because of the attention it gets especially with celebrities.

To answer your question though I think it's probably down to attention and wanting to draw more attention to themselves.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They started it though!

ReputationRep:
    attention seeking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pspai)
    Nothing that women do that you just said is sexualisation. It's showing skin, that's all. It's your perspective that is sexualised. They are complaining about yours and the majority of men's views on women probably.

ReputationRep:
    There’s a big difference between expressing sexuality and unwanted sexual attention. There isn’t anything wrong with a girl being sexual, but there is something wrong with a guy making unwanted sexual advances, especially when the girl has expressed that she doesn’t want it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Following on from what cat_mac said, the thing with men objectifying or oversexualising women is that it reduces a woman down to being viewed just as a sexual object, rather than a person who owns their sexuality. Women should be free to express themselves sexually and it be appreciated as them simply showing a part of themselves, an aspect of their individuality, and not that all they are is a sexual object.

Also personally for me, the way western society is makes you feel like a lot of your worth is based on how you look, and it is put across that women being sexual is a good thing. So even if you don't consciously recognise it, you're going to feel better about yourself when people think you look good, and expressing some sexuality through your appearance is something which is pretty much guaranteed to boost how attractive people find you. It's not a good thing really for women to feel this way but, at least for me, that type of thinking is already pretty rooted from how society has made me view myself.

ReputationRep:
    It’s simple you dress like a whore you’re going to get objectified. Women do it to themselves, And come on let’s be real..women like to sexualize themselves, they like men’s attention they created their own hook up culture so don’t listen to them one minute when they cry about how they are objectified. It’s laughable grow up girls pull your panties up keep your legs shut and get a life oh, and a job.

ReputationRep:
    It is you act like a slut you’re going to get treated like one.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the women who don't wear many clothes aren't the same ones who complain about being sexualized? :wizard:

ReputationRep:
    Women don’t dress cheap so that they don’t get men’s attention, it’s not a perspective that it sexualized it is sexualized by women, on purpose so they can cry about being objectified.

(Original post by chloeellen52)
    Nothing that women do that you just said is sexualisation. It's showing skin, that's all. It's your perspective that is sexualised. They are complaining about yours and the majority of men's views on women probably.

ReputationRep:
    I never complain :sexface:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.