Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Direct Debits (Incorrect amount I want to cancel) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I recently signed up to the gym. The agreed student price was £15.00 per month, followed by a £15 direct debit on the first of each month - I signed some sort of paperwork regarding this, they rushed me through it just told me to sign because they were busy. I hate this gym, it sucks.

29th September - I paid £15 for October by chip and pin.
    01st November - They debited my account for £22.74

The debited amount is £7.74 over the agreed amount, and my friends have been debited £15 on the same terms.

Can I call them asking for a full refund and to quit? - I already cancelled the direct debit via internet banking.

Thanks for your advice
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Flying Pig)
    Hello,
    I recently signed up to the gym. The agreed student price was £15.00 per month, followed by a £15 direct debit on the first of each month - I signed some sort of paperwork regarding this, they rushed me through it just told me to sign because they were busy. I hate this gym, it sucks.

29th September - I paid £15 for October by chip and pin.
    01st November - They debited my account for £22.74

The debited amount is £7.74 over the agreed amount, and my friends have been debited £15 on the same terms.

Can I call them asking for a full refund and to quit? - I already cancelled the direct debit via internet banking.

Thanks for your advice
    If your using Direct Debit, then you are covered by the Direct Debit guarantee. I'd ring up the bank first to see if you can get that money back.

Check out this article: https://www.directdebit.co.uk/Direct...tpayments.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    If your using Direct Debit, then you are covered by the Direct Debit guarantee. I'd ring up the bank first to see if you can get that money back.

Check out this article: https://www.directdebit.co.uk/Direct...tpayments.aspx
    Sorry I wasn't clear - I think the gym has a 30-day cancellation policy, so they were right to charge me this month but overcharged
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Sorry I wasn't clear - I think the gym has a 30-day cancellation policy, so they were right to charge me this month but overcharged
    Are you sure you didn't just pay a pro-rata fee?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you didn't just pay a pro-rata fee?
    Yes because I signed up and paid for Oct on Sept 29th, which means I got an extra two days.

2/30 = 6.66%
    6.66% of 15 = 0.99

They overcharged by almost £8 not £1
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Yes because I signed up and paid for Oct on Sept 29th, which means I got an extra two days.

2/30 = 6.66%
    6.66% of 15 = 0.99

They overcharged by almost £8 not £1
    I just saw that date :lol: How odd... I think they've tried to charge you for a pro-rata but have overcharged you (perhaps by getting your joining date wrong). I'd call/visit them first thing tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I just saw that date :lol: How odd... I think they've tried to charge you for a pro-rata but have overcharged you (perhaps by getting your joining date wrong). I'd call/visit them first thing tomorrow.

They are a really crap company. Shall I call them saying I don't want to be a member anymore because of this and try to get out of the 30day notice?
    (Because surely overcharging me makes their contract void anyway?)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    They are a really crap company. Shall I call them saying I don't want to be a member anymore because of this and try to get out of the 30day notice?
    Well, if you're overcharged: you're covered by the Direct Debit guarantee, so there's no worries there.

But the best option would be to ring them, ask them for a full refund (in accordance to the 30-day cancellation policy), and then record the name of the person which you spoke to.

ReputationRep:
    I would doubt that, yes if overcharged they need to repay, but an overcharge hardly voids the contract, it merely makes for poor customer relations.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What's the cancellation policy got to do with it, unless you have already cancelled?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.