Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So basically, to put things into context - I am a 24 year old UNEMPLOYED, LONER (No Friends) waste of space and life living on planet Earth.

Don't get me wrong, I once lived or quite rather enjoyed life - notably a few months ago when I was in employment. But sadly, that is no longer the case.

Anyways, this is what has happened. I graduated with a First Class Honours degree in a IT disclipine just over a year ago. I was all over the moon, and genuinely for the first time in life felt that I was a real "man" ready to take on the "real" working world. And so, I took a nice vacation break for like a month and bit to really celebrate and destress - after all I didn't get that First Class Degree just like that. I WORKED HARD AND SOUL FOR IT! Anyways, upon returning to the UK in early to mid September - I struggled to get a job for a couple of months. But by mid December I secured a temporary job to work at a top organisation. The position at the time wasn't appealing or not necessarily related to IT - however I reluctantly took at it as at the time I was struggling a bit. Admittedly, in hindsight, taking the job was the best decision of my life. It made me a happier person at the time, it allowed me to strangely explore nature and go on rooftops a lot. It helped me become more confident and allowed me to understand social situations very very well - it felt like going back to uni again. I loved everyone in my department, it was a very young and diverse environment - YES, Blacks, Whites and Asians - WHICH I LOVE!

However, sadly as it was a temporary job it came to an end just two months ago. Initially I thought it wouldn't take me long to get a new job as I was in a large VERY REPUTABLE company - however I was WRONG! The first interview I had since my contract expired didn't go too well, but I was happy surprisingly for once in my life. I hated the place I interviewed at. It was too far from home and the people and culture there didn't live up to my expectations. After this, I had a few telephone interviews - ALL OF WHICH THEY CHEESED ME OFF. I was polite to them and what not, not one of them got back to me. Literally rejected! Then a like 2 weeks ago I had a face to face interview (FINAL ROUND) at a financial company. They told me I would have known if I got the job last week, however they have yet to have got back to me.

Anyways, ever since I have been unemployed I have become depressed AF. I've always lived at home with my parents, however since unemployment I have been at home MORE OFTEN. My parents are noticeably upset and I don't blame them one bit. I no longer have any friends and feel that I am not really connected to the outside world. I always question my decisions in life and why I even went to university in the first place - if I can't even get a ****ing job in the end. I've even questioned my own life and whether it is worth me even living. I honestly don't feel like a real man anymore. I don't buy stuff for myself and rather spend on my money on my siblings, literally have no life whatsoever. I've never had a girlfriend in my life either and now that I am unemployed I can't get one for sure. I feel that I am EXTREMELY LUCKY TO HAVE NICE PARENTS. They are quite well off in life, as in they have nearly paid off the house morgage and run a small retail shop - in which I help run. Otherwise, I feel that I am A COMPLETE FAILURE. I don't go to any social events anymore - whats the point - unemployed people are the lowest in society

ReputationRep:
    Never give up man. I am younger than u. But i have realised everything usually works out or turns out better in the end.. light at the end of the tunnel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omw)
    Never give up man. I am younger than u. But i have realised everything usually works out or turns out better in the end.. light at the end of the tunnel.
    Sometimes, it is easier said than done mate! I can see where you are coming from but I am not too sure about life in general

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking for jobs that aren’t related to your field of expertise? I mean what if you try to work somewhere you don’t need many qualifications and are always hiring? I know call centres are usually busy and always hiring. I know it may not be a dream job but at least That way you could be earning again and gain back some financial stability. And I agree that at 24 your not old at all, I’ve met loads of people your age who are unemployed and living with their parents and are in the same boat as you so please don’t think your alone on this one. I think it’d be silly for companies to not hire you as first class degrees are really sought sfter from what I’ve heard.You clearly have the ability to do something impressive job-wise it’s just waiting for an opertunity to arise which I know can be a bit of a bummer. But stay strong my friend and I hope that a positive opertunity will soon come your way

I was unemployed from 2012 to sept. 2017 with a masters degree. Sucks.

Keep trying mate, you'll get there eventually. I did.

(Original post by Anonymous)

Are you saying you were unemployed for 5 years with not even one job even if it non graduate?

This scares me as I haven't even left university.

Are you saying you were unemployed for 5 years with not even one job even if it non graduate?

This scares me as I haven't even left university.
    Yes

Yes
    Did you actually try to get a job or did they say you were overqualified or something?

or was it due to personal reasons like health etc that you couldn't get a job?

TBH this makes me want to leave university straight away an drop out and just take anything.

Did you actually try to get a job or did they say you were overqualified or something?

or was it due to personal reasons like health etc that you couldn't get a job?

TBH this makes me want to leave university straight away an drop out and just take anything.
    Nah, you shouldn't drop out. :nah: Are you not doing well at university or something?

I did try a fair amount although not completely continuously for 5 years, it was more off and on. The vast majority of places never got back to me. I do have mental health problems but I don't know how noticeable that would be in an interview - I don't like to blame that for my lack of ability to get a job though. :dontknow: The job I just got requires a masters degree and is pretty sweet tbh so I think it's just a case of perseverance.

Nah, you shouldn't drop out. :nah: Are you not doing well at university or something?

I did try a fair amount although not completely continuously for 5 years, it was more off and on. The vast majority of places never got back to me. I do have mental health problems but I don't know how noticeable that would be in an interview - I don't like to blame that for my lack of ability to get a job though. :dontknow: The job I just got requires a masters degree and is pretty sweet tbh so I think it's just a case of perseverance.
    I am hating the course and wondering if it will even add to my employability or if I am just going to end up in a dead end job or unemployed after university anyway.

I wish I never actualy went to university. Your experience does make me think more positively though.

Did you have to do internships for your current job and did they mention a 5 year unemployment gap as I heard employers don't like gaps on a cv?

Thanks for the help btw

I am hating the course and wondering if it will even add to my employability or if I am just going to end up in a dead end job or unemployed after university anyway.

I wish I never actualy went to university. Your experience does make me think more positively though.

Did you have to do internships for your current job and did they mention a 5 year unemployment gap as I heard employers don't like gaps on a cv?

Thanks for the help btw
    Tbh if you're already at university I would probably try to stick it out to the end. You've made the financial investment now so you might as well get the degree out of it. Unless you're only a couple of months into first year in which case it might be better to drop out. Obviously it sucks that you hate the course, but I don't think a degree hurts people. If you graduate and want to work in somewhere where you believe it will make you look bad then simply leave it off your CV. But if you want to apply for a graduate level job then you can put it on your CV. If you don't have a degree you have nothing for your CV.

I would say experience is definitely valued by employers. I have only worked in my job for 2 months now but part of the job requires printing people's CVs, and even many masters students have experience somewhere, even if that is just volunteering. And they have lots! You don't even need to leave the house to do this - look online or on phone volunteering places, it looks good to have something beyond just a degree.

No, I didn't do an internship and they didn't ask about the gap on my CV. A few of the interviews I went to during the 5 years enquired about what I had been doing and I said I had suffered (past tense) health issues which was probably a terrible answer but I didn't want to make out that I'd applied for loads of other jobs and no one wanted me. :nothing:

ReputationRep:

Wait what. You are telling me that you were unemployed for 5 years? As in you worked nowhere not even a supermarket for the past 5 years? I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe, but if it is true then wow.

(Original post by wa5ted)
    Wait what. You are telling me that you were unemployed for 5 years? As in you worked nowhere not even a supermarket for the past 5 years? I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe, but if it is true then wow.
    Yes, that is true.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is true.
    What are you doing now? Is it related to your Masters degree?

(Original post by wa5ted)
    Hi,

So basically, to put things into context - I am a 24 year old UNEMPLOYED, LONER (No Friends) waste of space and life living on planet Earth.

It has only been two months, and you are getting interviews, which shows that you are making some progress. It does take time and bit of good luck - make sure your applications and interview technique is spot on.

In terms of how you are feeling, it is understandable. I think spending more time at your parents' house will only make the feeling worse. Try to get out of the house more - go for a walk, join a club, do some volunteering, visit free museums or go to the library. This is what I used to do. It was better than staying at home feeling unhappy about job searching.

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    I work in a university.

I don't want to give too many details but one of the requirements of the job was a masters in the subject mine is in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)

It has only been two months, and you are getting interviews, which shows that you are making some progress. It does take time and bit of good luck - make sure your applications and interview technique is spot on.

In terms of how you are feeling, it is understandable. I think spending more time at your parents' house will only make the feeling worse. Try to get out of the house more - go for a walk, join a club, do some volunteering, visit free museums or go to the library. This is what I used to do. It was better than staying at home feeling unhappy about job searching.
    I feel that no one really understands what I am going through. Doubting life and myself everyday!

People I knew tried giving me advise but I have ignored them! They say it so easily yet they won't be there for me when **** goes down. I learnt a lot through this phase lately, i.e who your true family and friends are. I most certainly know who mine are. I realised that people can be the best of friends in the moment, yet the minute you leave a place they no longer know who you are. I used to have quite a lot of "friends" at my old workplace. We were all pretty much made redundant - I knew I was going to lose my job months before and started my job search months before I became unemployed. Anyways, these "friends" no longer speak to me - well I guess they are now too busy in life with their new jobs and what not. Personally, I will always try and speak to someone who I consider a friend no matter what

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.