Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I re-applied for student loan due to changing course with the maximum maintenance loan so i had to send the completed PN1 form, which should be around £8000, which is what I recieved last year, my circumstances are still the same from last year the only income is carers allowance which is around £2500 for the year as i'm caring for an adult as well.

however I chacked my maximum entitlement for this year and its showing only £2800 for the full year. why? and how do I get it changed to increase the amount to what I should be getting?

I'm a mature student by the way over 25

should i contact student finance?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi saqqy2k8,

Just want to ask you some further questions about your course and what you are applying for so that I can answer you query.

Assuming this is for the 2017/18 academic year, could you please advise the name of the new course that you started, what year of the course you are gaining entry to and the qualification you would expect to gain from this?

Did you turn 25 prior to the start of the academic year, do you have a partner and are you applying for any Grants for Dependants funding such as Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grant and/or Adult Dependants' Grant, and if so which?

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for hnc applied biology fulltime 2017/2018 it's one year and then going onto hnd applied biology if choose to continue.I'm 30 years old and haven't applied for any grants as I don't require it, although for someone reason it is saying I need to send child grant form on the status off the application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saqqy2k8)
    I've applied for hnc applied biology fulltime 2017/2018 it's one year and then going onto hnd applied biology if choose to continue.I'm 30 years old and haven't applied for any grants as I don't require it, although for someone reason it is saying I need to send child grant form on the status off the application.

Hi saqqy2k8,

When you apply for a new course, we look at the number of years previous study that you have had and this is used in calculating your future support.

Can I ask how many years previous study that you have had prior to your new course in 2017/18 academic year ?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Bsc foundation entry science with direct entry onto 3 year science degree such as biomedical science, I only did the foundation entry year which is considered equivalent to level 3 and now I'm on hnc applied biology which is level 4.

I checked on the student finance calculator as well it says on that as well that I should be getting around £8000

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention my brother has took the same route and he's eligible to get £8000 same as last year for hnc applied biology and mine has been reduced.

We both receive carers allowance, we're both over 25 and done the same course last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saqqy2k8)
    I forgot to mention my brother has took the same route and he's eligible to get £8000 same as last year for hnc applied biology and mine has been reduced.

We both receive carers allowance, we're both over 25 and done the same course last year
    Hi saqqy2k8,

As we have no access to specific accounts here, can you check your online application.

In the loan request section of your application, can you check that you have requested the maximum, higher amount of maintenance loan.

In the course details section, check that you have indicated what year of study that you are entering and that you have not by accident, indicated that you will be eligible for an NHS bursary.

If you cannot anything then give us a call on,

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    I've just spoken to someone at student finance and they have said that they have put my application on referral as they can't figure out why it's reduced by so much.

I was unable to amend the existing application so I had to send a pn1 form, I did tick the maximum maintenance amount on it.

They did say it should be sorted in 4 working days.

anyway Thanks for your help Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.