Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student housing: Is it rude to NOT hold the apartment building door for others? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A bit of a strange issue, but here goes: I'm quite aware of the etiquette of holding the door for others following you. BUT I'm also wary of letting people into a secured building, especially my apartment building. Being from a big city, where it's common to have drunks or strange people walking around, it's common sense to not let strangers in, and I've heard stories of residents getting sued for letting someone in after them, who turned out to have broken into a flat the next morning.

SO I'm living in a student apartment complex in a big city, NOT on campus, and I'm practicing this extra vigilance (of shutting the door behind me). I get some strange stares from other people who expected me to keep the door open for them, and even one who tried to hold the door open and me clarifying that I'm legally not supposed to let anyone else in, and that they have to be buzzed up. Any thoughts on this? Would you be eternally insulted if you were following me, or would you understand?

ReputationRep:
    I would entirely understand. You are right because you don't know who might follow you through the doors. Don't worry about other people's looks - you are entitled to take measures to protect yourself in this day and age with so much going on.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're not obliged to let anyone in. When I lived in halls, it was of course blocks of flats and most of the people, I didn't know, therefore, I wouldn't let them come in after me. But if it was something in the same flat as me, it would have been fine because I know them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends, at mine we have a sort of etiquette where you get your fob out of your pocket to show you live there, or we recognise each other, or we'll let delivery people in. But there's also another 2 layers of security once you're inside the front door until you get into a flat, 3 if you include your room door.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends somewhat.

If your building has a receptionist at all times, and has internal card access doors as well, it probably won't matter either way. If there isn't someone literally next to the door at all times, and the doors have a door forced alarm, for the love of god don't.

While it may vary depending on the specific accommodation, there is nothing more annoying than getting endless alarms of this type due to people being "polite" as someone has to go to them, ensure the door hasn't been tampered with, assess whether it was just someone holding the door open, and ensure the alarm is reset. It's just a huge waste of time for everyone else

Also if you're the sucker who's locked themselves out, this is the reason it will take the site security 30+ minutes to get to you normally. As someone who locked myself out of my flat at uni about twice a term, I can confirm pretty frustrating (and cold )if you don't have anyone to let you in and you have to wait 40 minutes outside because the security guard is somewhere else checking doors and has to finish before heading over to you.

It's really more courteous to not hold the door open if you think about it xD

ReputationRep:
    In my accommodation (private halls off campus), there is actually a clause in my contract and accommodation handbook that says we aren't allowed to let anyone who we don't know into the building who is 'tailgating': basically, relying on the kindness of others to let them in/hold open locked doors etc., whether they live there or not. So essentially you could be letting in goodness-knows-who, and it would be your liability if they ended up committing crimes whilst inside. We are meant to request to see their fob (which has our room code on it) to confirm that they live here. Drug dealing and homelessness is quite prevalent in our area, which is why they're so strict about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandekage)
    A bit of a strange issue, but here goes: I'm quite aware of the etiquette of holding the door for others following you. BUT I'm also wary of letting people into a secured building, especially my apartment building. Being from a big city, where it's common to have drunks or strange people walking around, it's common sense to not let strangers in, and I've heard stories of residents getting sued for letting someone in after them, who turned out to have broken into a flat the next morning.

SO I'm living in a student apartment complex in a big city, NOT on campus, and I'm practicing this extra vigilance (of shutting the door behind me). I get some strange stares from other people who expected me to keep the door open for them, and even one who tried to hold the door open and me clarifying that I'm legally not supposed to let anyone else in, and that they have to be buzzed up. Any thoughts on this? Would you be eternally insulted if you were following me, or would you understand?
    If someone has their pass in their hand or is wearing a university lanyard/badge, then I'll hold the door for them.

If not, I push the door shut subtly, get it in the lift and spam the close door button in case the person was indeed a resident. Lmao

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.