Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    did anyone take economics or business studies for their gcse exam? can anyone give me tips on how to do it well. it's really hard for me to get good grades especially in the paper 2 for both subject
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by flufftan)
    did anyone take economics or business studies for their gcse exam? can anyone give me tips on how to do it well. it's really hard for me to get good grades especially in the paper 2 for both subject
    Start with going t all your classes and making good notes.

If your notes are insufficient or you dont understand, then buy some revision books to assist you. They will help you make good notes plus you can also buy workbooks. Check it covers your exam board and is the latest version.

https://www.economicshelp.org/shop/gcse-economics/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st...date-desc-rank

Download exam papers, mark schemes and exemplar answers from the exam board website.

Practice exams. Practice more exam questions and grade yourself. If you keep putting the work in then you will improve.

ReputationRep:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flufftan)
    I did Economics for IGCSE, they're almost identical. This is what I did when I was revising for Economics:

1. I made short notes on everything. Whether it was fiscal/monetary policies, I made summarized versions of the chapter's contents in a way that I could understand. Make sure that when you are writing your notes it isn't identical to what is in the textbook, write it in your own words and ensure that you understand the concept very well.

2. Use past paper sites to practice as many questions as possible. Look through mark schemes after you are done to see if you have correctly formatted and structured your answer according to what is being asked. This is what will get you maximum marks in the exam!

3. If short notes/mind maps don't work for you, try and find an approach that works best for you (helps you retain as much information as efficiently as possible).

4. Place emphasis on understanding as opposed to memorizing. When you understand a theory, it's easy to apply it to a situation. This will be very important for your paper 2.

5. Make links between the microeconomy and the macroeconomy. As you continue to learn Economics, you will be taught that the economy can be subdivided into two categories, the microeconomy (Looks at the economy from the perspective of individual entities) and the macroeconomy (Looks at the economy as a whole). Economics becomes much simpler when you understand the correlation between the two.

Economics is a subject that you can understand immediately or not. Those who can't grasp the concepts easily have to be prepared to work even harder than the others. So make sure you are consistent. Also, don't get discouraged. In my opinion, it's one of the most fun subjects I've taken on, and it's so vast in terms of creating perspectives, unlike some subjects which have to be looked at from a methodical and theoretical view all the time.

-- If you follow through with this, you should do well. I ended up getting an A* and the highest marks in the country for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetypemeister)
    I did Economics for IGCSE, they're almost identical. This is what I did when I was revising for Economics:

1. I made short notes on everything. Whether it was fiscal/monetary policies, I made summarized versions of the chapter's contents in a way that I could understand. Make sure that when you are writing your notes it isn't identical to what is in the textbook, write it in your own words and ensure that you understand the concept very well.

2. Use past paper sites to practice as many questions as possible. Look through mark schemes after you are done to see if you have correctly formatted and structured your answer according to what is being asked. This is what will get you maximum marks in the exam!

3. If short notes/mind maps don't work for you, try and find an approach that works best for you (helps you retain as much information as efficiently as possible).

4. Place emphasis on understanding as opposed to memorizing. When you understand a theory, it's easy to apply it to a situation. This will be very important for your paper 2.

5. Make links between the microeconomy and the macroeconomy. As you continue to learn Economics, you will be taught that the economy can be subdivided into two categories, the microeconomy (Looks at the economy from the perspective of individual entities) and the macroeconomy (Looks at the economy as a whole). Economics becomes much simpler when you understand the correlation between the two.

Economics is a subject that you can understand immediately or not. Those who can't grasp the concepts easily have to be prepared to work even harder than the others. So make sure you are consistent. Also, don't get discouraged. In my opinion, it's one of the most fun subjects I've taken on, and it's so vast in terms of creating perspectives, unlike some subjects which have to be looked at from a methodical and theoretical view all the time.

-- If you follow through with this, you should do well. I ended up getting an A* and the highest marks in the country for the subject.
    Thank you so muchh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.