Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i’m thinking of taking up a career in medicine and I need to choose my a level choices, i’m currently thinking of taking:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Psychology or PRE

which is better to take out of PRE and Psychology?

should i take maths instead of physics? (maths isn’t a subject i particularly enjoy / want to take at a level)
    all advice would be appreciated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring-student)
    Hi, i’m thinking of taking up a career in medicine and I need to choose my a level choices, i’m currently thinking of taking:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Psychology or PRE

which is better to take out of PRE and Psychology?

should i take maths instead of physics? (maths isn’t a subject i particularly enjoy / want to take at a level)
    all advice would be appreciated
    What is PRE?

ReputationRep:
    philosophy religion and ethics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    What is PRE?
    philosophy, religion and ethics

ReputationRep:
    (PRE is not a well known abbreviation 😂)
    It really doesn’t matter which one you chose as a fourth. The grade is all that does, given your other 3 are the main ones for medicine. Honestly, pick whichever you prefer.

Same goes with Maths or Physics. Chemistry and Biology are the main two, again, if you know it’s medicine you want to do, either one is fine. Stick with physics if you prefer it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Only 3 A-levels are required, so unless your school requires you to start with 4 then drop one, I'd suggest sticking to the STEM subjects. If you have to take 4, then either of the others would be fine but AS Maths would be more useful, both in terms of your other subjects and long term (as below) than a token AS in an essay based subject.

Maths is more useful than Physics, not in terms of applying to the course but in the longer term and in reflection of the degree that you'll use related skills. If you think you won't get an A or A* in it there's no point, but taking Physics because you want to "avoid" Maths because it's "hard" even though you know you can achieve those grades is bad because:

a) you're going to have a lot of content to take in during medical school, some of it you will find difficult, and there is no way to avoid that

and

b) Physics isn't necessarily easier than Maths, and as most of your class will be taking the pair you'll find you need to do comparatively more work to keep up in terms of practicing the basic maths you need to do for the course, whereas the others will have continual exposure to mathematical problem solving due to taking A-level Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Only 3 A-levels are required, so unless your school requires you to start with 4 then drop one, I'd suggest sticking to the STEM subjects. If you have to take 4, then either of the others would be fine but AS Maths would be more useful, both in terms of your other subjects and long term (as below) than a token AS in an essay based subject.

Maths is more useful than Physics, not in terms of applying to the course but in the longer term and in reflection of the degree that you'll use related skills. If you think you won't get an A or A* in it there's no point, but taking Physics because you want to "avoid" Maths because it's "hard" even though you know you can achieve those grades is bad because:

a) you're going to have a lot of content to take in during medical school, some of it you will find difficult, and there is no way to avoid that

and

b) Physics isn't necessarily easier than Maths, and as most of your class will be taking the pair you'll find you need to do comparatively more work to keep up in terms of practicing the basic maths you need to do for the course, whereas the others will have continual exposure to mathematical problem solving due to taking A-level Maths.
    Thank you so much for your advice, I honestly
    think i may choose Maths now because of this, I know i don’t particularly enjoy it but the pros outweigh the cons here. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.