Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I cut back on my running? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am an avid runner I run every day of the week either through road running, running with my running team or running on the treadmill in the gym. I would say I'm a fairly healthy person and I run various races and earlier this year I ran a half marathon in 1hr 36minutes.

Anyway over the past few weeks I've started to get a pain in my left knee and the top of my left groin (however this pain has gone) but the pain in my knee is still there occasionally. Over the past week my legs have felt incredibly heavy when I am running, I put this down mainly to doing a hill sprint session last Monday. Due to the way I'm feeling currently and because I have no races coming up for the next few months would it be wise to just to cut back on my running for a while and give my legs chance to rest?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert nor do i run. but this is my opinion

I say you should rest
    so instead of running 7 days a week
    cut it down to about 3 with a day or 2 rest inbetween
    and if you can it may be a good idea to wear a knee support whilst running so that it doesn't get injured further
    whilst resting you could do some stretches that will help strengthen your knee

hope this helps 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you do need to rest to me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Take a fortnight off, come back doing short runs for a week <3 miles and build from there

ReputationRep:
    Pains and niggles are part of the parcel as I'm sure you understand.

What angry cucumber said really.

I had a pain in my ankle that was always exaggerated every time I'd been for a run. So I stopped running for 2 weeks and it gradually went away.

7 days a week running isn't a problem in my opinion, obviously depends on the volume though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Pains and niggles are part of the parcel as I'm sure you understand.

What angry cucumber said really.

I had a pain in my ankle that was always exaggerated every time I'd been for a run. So I stopped running for 2 weeks and it gradually went away.

7 days a week running isn't a problem in my opinion, obviously depends on the volume though.
    I don't usually find running 7 days a week a problem, averaging about 4 miles on each run. But like I said recently the pain has got really bad.

However, I took the full weekend off running and had epsom salt baths and things like that and the pain isn't as bad this morning. However, I am going to still take a break and give my body a chance to recover.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.