The Student Room Group

Best way to get of cold/sinuses?

Hey,

Last week I had 2 days off work, but now I'm just fed up of feeling rubbish. I've had a blocked nose for around a week that's only sorted by using vicks, and due to it, most days, I've been waking up with a headache.

I also feel knackered. I had a 14 hour sleep the other night which for me, is crazy.

I've tried drinking lots of water, but can't always due to work. Anything I can take? I'm fed up of it now!
try sudafed
or go to you doctor.
Original post by 2scotty
Hey,

Last week I had 2 days off work, but now I'm just fed up of feeling rubbish. I've had a blocked nose for around a week that's only sorted by using vicks, and due to it, most days, I've been waking up with a headache.

I also feel knackered. I had a 14 hour sleep the other night which for me, is crazy.

I've tried drinking lots of water, but can't always due to work. Anything I can take? I'm fed up of it now!

Colds are caused by a virus, which means there is no cure and your bodies own defences must deal with it on their own.

The symptoms you are experiencing tell you that your body is fighting the invasion, shedding the lining of your bronchial tracts (mucus and cough, sneezing etc). Temperature and fatigue because more energy resources are diverted to the war and because oxygen production is hampered through breathing difficulty etc.

All you can do is get rest and alleviate symptoms. Try Night Nurse just before bed fir a few days. It will help you sleep more easily which gives your body the best chance to fight more effectively and aid recovery faster.

Sleep is good. Listen to your body.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 2scotty
Hey,

Sinus rinse will help.
Sudafed works very well for sinus.
Reply 5
Original post by 2scotty
Hey,

Pop to a pharmacy or supermarket and get yourself some sudafed or lemsip tablets. You can also try drinking honey and lemon tea or using steam to help clear things (hold your head over a bowl of boiling water and breathe in the steam.
Paracetamol should help with any headaches, but be sure not to use it if your lemsip/ sudafed also contains it (most do).
Make sure you're eating and drinking enough. Fighting off a cold can make you dehydrated and can also make you feel a bit sick and not want to eat. Not having enough food or being dehydrated will make you feel more run down.
Have a warm bath to help relax your mind and body. Take it easy until you're feeling better.
Wait it out. Colds can't actually be cured, you just need to fight the symptoms and wait for your body to kick it out. They can lead to other issues like sinus infections though, so if you're still feeling rough after about 2 weeks ask a pharmacist for advice or consider calling your drs surgery.

Hope that helps and that you feel better soon. :smile:
Rest, sleep as much as you can, eat plenty of good, nutritious food and take in a good amount of liquids. Basically, the only way you can cure it, is to do whatever you can to aid recovery. Any meds will simply mask symptoms, which is totally fine but just know that it won't speed up the process of recovering.

Quick Reply

Latest