Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird to suggest a day out as a first date? Watch

There's a girl I like so I'm going to ask her out and if she says yes I'm going to suggest a day out as a first date rather than the usual going for drinks or going to the cinema.

I was thinking of suggesting going to the Christmas markets in Manchester as she's never been before. But would it be would weird or awkward to go for a day out as a first date?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could go for drinks afterwards. I think it's a good idea since you have a good opportunity to talk. It really depends on the girl though.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like an amazing idea especially since she probably mentioned some interests in going there. Just make sure the travel there is not too awkward HAHAH

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure she'll love it so long as you be yourself, girls don't like it when you act different around them so just relax and be polite, crack a few jokes and I'm sure you'll be fine and not awkward
    Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by try hard)
    That sounds like an amazing idea especially since she probably mentioned some interests in going there. Just make sure the travel there is not too awkward HAHAH
    Glad to hear people think it's a good idea. I've been trying to think of something that's a bit different to the usual first date.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a really good idea, i always feel like the usual drinks/cinema type things don't really give you a chance to talk properly, at least a day out would do that, and it's something different so i reckon she'll enjoy it. Just be yourself

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're not just planning to take her down t'park innit
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There's a girl I like so I'm going to ask her out and if she says yes I'm going to suggest a day out as a first date rather than the usual going for drinks or going to the cinema.

I was thinking of suggesting going to the Christmas markets in Manchester as she's never been before. But would it be would weird or awkward to go for a day out as a first date?
    Depends how well you already know her. If she's a total stranger otherwise then I'd say it's a bit too much for your first proper interaction. If she's already a friend or somebody you talk to relatively often then I think it's a lovely idea.
    Maybe have a back-up in mind in case she thinks it's a bit much though.

New, exciting experiences are good as dates because your date's brain will associate that excited feeling with you. But likewise, if it's a daunting experience for them (like they don't like trains or whatever), they'll link that uneasy feeling to you.

ReputationRep:
    If I already knew the person fairly well, this would be a great idea, something different and actually interesting

ReputationRep:
    I would love doing that as a first date.

(Original post by bones-mccoy)
    If I already knew the person fairly well, this would be a great idea, something different and actually interesting
    We know each other fairly well and I was thinking of something that wouldn't be as awkward as going for a meal or for a few drinks.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you both enjoy yourselves, who cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

firstly, i would like to address the issue of paying. stand your ground! do not be peer pressured into paying for the whole thing. and if you wanted to lock in the greater chance of her saying 'yes' you could take her out before you asked her ( or asked her on the date

good luck,

yours kindly ,

Ghost Malone

ReputationRep:
    Not it’s not weird at all. It’s unique.

ReputationRep:
    I love that idea!

(Original post by klw18)
    I love that idea!
    Thanks It's giving me a lot more confidence knowing that a lot of people think it's a good idea

ReputationRep:
    Xmas market is a nice date idea. I would say go for a drink first then go to the market then go for another drink or something after. Personally I hated first dates where we just went for a walk or something because it gave very little time to chat and get to know each other better.

ReputationRep:
    Fine if you already know each other a bit and/or clearly fancy the pants off each other. If it's a bit more tentative than that I would say it's quite high risk.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.