Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brexit-supporting students getting abuse on campus Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A group of students have claimed that they have received a lot of abuse while on university campuses because they voted leave in the Brexit vote. From being called a "racist b****" to challenging their intelligence, student Brexiteers have been made to feel that they can't express their views without being abused.

You can read the story and watch the video here.

What do you make of this? Do / did you receive abuse from fellow students because of how you voted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    A group of students have claimed that they have received a lot of abuse while on university campuses because they voted leave in the Brexit vote. From being called a "racist b****" to challenging their intelligence, student Brexiteers have been made to feel that they can't express their views without being abused.

You can read the story and watch the video here.

What do you make of this? Do / did you receive abuse from fellow students because of how you voted? What could be done to help others be more tolerant?
    I voted out and could care less, but I only got it from my " EX ", I also wonder if they at a low ranking university doing Arts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They made their bed.

"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

Now they can lie in it.

Of course if they claim it's because the UK will be better off economically than because of underlying xenophobia then...they probably shouldn't be at uni anyway, given the ability to evaluate the quality and validity of sources of information and defer to expert opinion when necessary in the face of their own ignorance or uncertainty is a key feature of academia.

ReputationRep:
    You want others to be tolerant of the intolerant. Good joke.

ReputationRep:
    The "tolerant" left are being intolerant towards opposing views and the result of a DEMOCRATIC referendum 🤣🤣🤣
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect? It's 2017 and this is the new thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    They made their bed.

"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

Now they can lie in it.

Of course if they claim it's because the UK will be better off economically than because of underlying xenophobia then...they probably shouldn't be at uni anyway, given the ability to evaluate the quality and validity of sources of information and defer to expert opinion when necessary in the face of their own ignorance or uncertainty is a key feature of academia.
    The ability to freely express your views and to debate them with those who disagree is a key feature of academia.

Shouting down opponents is a key feature of totalitarian societies, and their lapdog universities. Follow the party line, or else.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty abhorrent that people are throwing abuse based on the brexit vote. Yes people disagree, but there's far more to be gained from a civilised discussion on it than simply flinging insults at one another.

ReputationRep:
    They made their bed.

Now they can lie in it.

Disclaimer; I wanted remain, I think brexit is dumb. However what your writing is completely hypocritical and wrong.

Your assuming that brexiters are racists for a vote they cast when it could be for a multitude of reasons. A lot of brexiters are leading a poor quality of life and they voted Brexit to change. They believe that life couldn't get any worse than it already was so they voted for change now you believe we should oppress them for that?

I'm ashamed that people who preach openness and tolerance become the ones to abuse those who disagree with them. Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the bad guy here?

ReputationRep:
    Being called "the guy who supported brexit/who doomed a generation/ruined the country" is not abuse. What these brexiteers want is not freedom of speech, they want remainers not to express their views and manifest their dissent. Brexit won, it's only natural for the defeated to be sensitive about it.

I think people should be free to support brexit, but also to criticise those who voted leave.

***** is an insult and that's another matter, but not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    To reiterate, I want to be able to call a communist a deluded idiot, a nazi racist, a fascist a liberticidal scum, Berlusconi a thief, Putin a corrupt warmonger, Stalin a criminal, Caesar an infamous tyrant, the UN head a useless hypocrite and a brexiteer a working class xenophobe. This is freedom of speech. You snowflakes call it abuse.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh people at universities are extremely aggressive towards people with classically liberal views. Luckily the traditional British resolve in the face of the enemy lingers on.

It’s only to be expected that the useful idiots do what their NWO masters tell them, including attacking people who stand in the path of their ‘great’ plan

ReputationRep:
    I had just been on twitter and had seen this tweet “The irony of #WelcometoSunderland when they voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. They’re pigshit stupid though, so I doubt they’d notice irony.”

People who say you should be intolerant to people are intolerant forget that means they are not tolerant and I have seen people advocate assaulting people who are, surely that means people can assault them?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I had just been on twitter and had seen this tweet “The irony of #WelcometoSunderland when they voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. They’re pigshit stupid though, so I doubt they’d notice irony.”

People who say you should be intolerant to people are intolerant forget that means they are not tolerant and I have seen people advocate assaulting people who are, surely that means people can assault them?
    You might want to edit that last paragraph
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No, that is the paradox of tolerance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    Disclaimer; I wanted remain, I think brexit is dumb. However what your writing is completely hypocritical and wrong.

Your assuming that brexiters are racists for a vote they cast when it could be for a multitude of reasons. A lot of brexiters are leading a poor quality of life and they voted Brexit to change. They believe that life couldn't get any worse than it already was so they voted for change now you believe we should oppress them for that?

I'm ashamed that people who preach openness and tolerance become the ones to abuse those who disagree with them. Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the bad guy here?
    Xenophobia is not the same as racism, although they are often conflated.

In any case, they don't want change. They want to regress to the "good old days" that never existed and purely had a positive effect on them at the cost of terrible negative outlooks for anyone who wasn't white and British - and indeed, for many, middle or upper class.

Brexit, for the people, is either a demonstration of xenophobia (and probably racism, since many seem to have no qualms with white Americans, Australians, or Canadians migrating here compared to others, including multi-generational families of colour already here) or of ignorant nostalgia.

Brexit is and was, nothing more than a pitiful political ploy by the Conservative party to undermine UKIP by poaching their voters who would otherwise not vote for them allowing Labour a chance at winning. The time since has seen them do nothing more than insulate their own interests against the damage of the ludicrous proposal they foisted upon the country, and find ways to even profit from it politically and financially.

The fact remains that for the people at large it is economically and socially devastating and if you insist on defending that then you are the "bad guy", in the same vein as those who do not speak out against bigotry, economic discrimination, and encourage hate speech because you fail to even achieve a school-child level of critical thinking to realise that tolerating intolerant behaviour is unacceptable - hence the quote.

ReputationRep:
    Xenophobia is not the same as racism, although they are often conflated.

In any case, they don't want change. They want to regress to the "good old days" that never existed and purely had a positive effect on them at the cost of terrible negative outlooks for anyone who wasn't white and British - and indeed, for many, middle or upper class.

Brexit, for the people, is either a demonstration of xenophobia (and probably racism, since many seem to have no qualms with white Americans, Australians, or Canadians migrating here compared to others, including multi-generational families of colour already here) or of ignorant nostalgia.

Brexit is and was, nothing more than a pitiful political ploy by the Conservative party to undermine UKIP by poaching their voters who would otherwise not vote for them allowing Labour a chance at winning. The time since has seen them do nothing more than insulate their own interests against the damage of the ludicrous proposal they foisted upon the country, and find ways to even profit from it politically and financially.

The fact remains that for the people at large it is economically and socially devastating and if you insist on defending that then you are the "bad guy", in the same vein as those who do not speak out against bigotry, economic discrimination, and encourage hate speech because you fail to even achieve a school-child level of critical thinking to realise that tolerating intolerant behaviour is unacceptable - hence the quote.
    Maybe if you actually listened to people who voted leave, rather than scrambling around for labels so you can feel good about being ignorant, you might realise you’re on the wrong side of history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    Maybe if you actually listened to people who voted leave, rather than scrambling around for labels so you can feel good about being ignorant, you might realise you’re on the wrong side of history.
    I think you really should listen to your own advice.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares, if you're hurt by a few insults then there's no hope for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.