Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brexit-supporting students getting abuse on campus Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a xenophobic man myself. I am literally scared of foreign people, including Europeans.

I'm especially uncomfortable with the Dutch, the Germans, the Greeks, the Spanish and the Polish (Polish women only for some reason). To a lesser degree the French. Anything like Germany, Holland, Belgium, very scary.

When I visit their countries I feel uncomfortable and fearful the entire time, which dampens the holiday and prevents me from relaxing like I would at home... I'm just constantly tense and on guard until I'm in the 99% British clubs. A necessary evil though because they have all the best holiday destinations. The locals frighten me and I try my best to keep away from them and appease them when they do talk to me so they like me and don't cause me harm.

Almost no parts of Europe are non-white so I don't see how people who voted out were voting to keep colored people out.

However the concept of the EU does seem a bit dangerous. Started out innocent enough but not so much as time went on. Don't think it's good to create laws that apply to the entirety of the EU without any real decision in it. Do think the cheap holidays and easy airport navigation are good though... Also my wages are paid in US Dollars so if the pound drops I'll make more money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    Maybe if you actually listened to people who voted leave, rather than scrambling around for labels so you can feel good about being ignorant, you might realise you’re on the wrong side of history.
    I did.

It was "hi I don't understand statistics or when to listen to an expert because I'm too busy trying to keep the brown people out because I think Raj the neurosurgeon is stealing the job I won't deign to do".

I'm on the "not a xenophobe (and probably racist as all you defenders keep saying it's about racism when I explicitly state it's about xenophobia so clearly you know something I don't about your motives)" side of history which is always the right one, regardless of whether it's the "winning" one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    I did.

It was "hi I don't understand statistics or when to listen to an expert because I'm too busy trying to keep the brown people out because I think Raj the neurosurgeon is stealing the job I won't deign to do".

I'm on the "not a xenophobe (and probably racist as all you defenders keep saying it's about racism when I explicitly state it's about xenophobia so clearly you know something I don't about your motives)" side of history which is always the right one, regardless of whether it's the "winning" one.
    You have demonstrated an inability to listen to and understand both sides of a political debate by giving that ‘quote’. I raised the question of your ignorance and you’ve demonstrated it by showing how you have absolutely no idea what the arguments for leave were.

Suggesting that a ‘non-xenophobic’ side of history is /always/ the right side of history is laughable considering you label everything under the sun xenophobic. Net migration running at a third of a million people a year is fundamentally impossible to sustain. You literally cannot handle that many migrants every single year. To simply dismiss such issues by labelling it ‘xenophobia’, then thinking yourself so intellectually superior for having done so is unfathomably stupid.

ReputationRep:
    These people have been sold (and themselves perpetuated) the lie that Brexit-supporters are all racist, xenophobic troglodytes, so no wonder they feel it's acceptable to treat them this way.

"Enlightened" indeed. A bunch of salty, ignorant a-holes.

ReputationRep:
    I understand this is generation snowflake, but these Brexit supporters just need to grow a spine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I understand this is generation snowflake, but these Brexit supporters just need to grow a spine.
    It's not like they're just being slightly argued with though, they seem to be having genuine abuse thrown their way; why is it on them to 'grow a spine' and not on those insulting them to just be more civil in their approach?

ReputationRep:
    Every person on here saying 'they deserved it for voting brexit' blah blah 'cant tolerate intolerance' blah blah is stupid.

First, there is no demonstrable evidence brexit is based primarily on intolerance in one of the most multinational countries in Europe (were the Polish or the Indians or the Pakistanis who voted out - and there were quite a few - promoting intolerance?) apart from the guardian hysteria about how it's a right wing xenophobic plot to keep out ALL the immigrants (point to ANYONE who said when discussing border controls we want to slam them shut completely, and if it was true intolerance where is the calls for deportations of all foreigners [answer: nowhere]). Where is the objective evidence 52% of people are intolerant by default?

Second, they voted in a participatory democracy which means (a) it's a democratic decision, and (b) they don't have direct control over it's implementation so even IF they voted on the grounds of intolerance (which is unproved considering the huge list of reasons from the EU's £500m self promotion budget to the treatment of Greece, Catalonia, the ECJ's promotion of EU principles above law (see Da Costa, Chen, and the fall out from Cassis De Dijon [all ECJ cases] as well as the fact they actually aren't implementing Article 50 properly anyway and the pressure pure numbers is putting on infrastructure ie police, NHS) then parliament can temper the decision to ensure it isn't outright discriminatory as is the entire point of parliament.

To say participating in democracy in a way you don't like is grounds to be abused in the street and presumably punched merely on suspicion of a thought crime - the Antifa spunktrumpets beat one of their own because they thought he was a Nazi http://www.dailywire.com/news/20089/...omo#exit-modal (and I know the source is questionable, but there is literally video evidence of the guy explaining it), is ridiculous AND proves mistreating someone because of your perception of what they are is grade A moronic. Either have sensible, rational discussions or shut up. This mob rule rubbish is just further proving people's points about the unwillingness to confront other ideas.

As for the idea people should be abused for their viewpoint to 'prevent intolerance' all I can say is its useful all these people saying this aren't the ones deciding what intolerance is in law because claiming all Brexiters are intolerant is so far off the reservation it isn't even funny.

Having said all that - the people being shouted at need to get a grip and tell these shrieking idiots exactly where to stick their unsolicited opinions rather than crying about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    Disclaimer; I wanted remain, I think brexit is dumb. However what your writing is completely hypocritical and wrong.

Your assuming that brexiters are racists for a vote they cast when it could be for a multitude of reasons. A lot of brexiters are leading a poor quality of life and they voted Brexit to change. They believe that life couldn't get any worse than it already was so they voted for change now you believe we should oppress them for that?

I'm ashamed that people who preach openness and tolerance become the ones to abuse those who disagree with them. Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the bad guy here?
    Young people in higher education sometimes have extreme views when my uncle was a university in the early 1970s. Some of the young ladies became extreme feminists my uncle was sit eating lunch when a young lady was smoking behind him. He ask her please not to smoke over his food and she abuse him for being a man. By 1980s a lot of his females friends who claimed to feminists were married or in relationships with men and almost forgotten about their feminist stage.

High education is time when young people are first on there own in the world and they other have extreme political views and they are sometime intolerance and abusive to people that hold different political views.

However when they finished university and start working and socializing with people from different backgrounds who have different political views. They became more tolerance and open minded.

ReputationRep:
    Good, lynch the buggers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    It's not like they're just being slightly argued with though, they seem to be having genuine abuse thrown their way; why is it on them to 'grow a spine' and not on those insulting them to just be more civil in their approach?
    Argument yes, words like ***** are unacceptable and are just abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    Every person on here saying 'they deserved it for voting brexit' blah blah 'cant tolerate intolerance' blah blah is stupid.

First, there is no demonstrable evidence brexit is based primarily on intolerance in one of the most multinational countries in Europe (were the Polish or the Indians or the Pakistanis who voted out - and there were quite a few - promoting intolerance?) apart from the guardian hysteria about how it's a right wing xenophobic plot to keep out ALL the immigrants (point to ANYONE who said when discussing border controls we want to slam them shut completely, and if it was true intolerance where is the calls for deportations of all foreigners [answer: nowhere]). Where is the objective evidence 52% of people are intolerant by default?

Second, they voted in a participatory democracy which means (a) it's a democratic decision, and (b) they don't have direct control over it's implementation so even IF they voted on the grounds of intolerance (which is unproved considering the huge list of reasons from the EU's £500m self promotion budget to the treatment of Greece, Catalonia, the ECJ's promotion of EU principles above law (see Da Costa, Chen, and the fall out from Cassis De Dijon [all ECJ cases] as well as the fact they actually aren't implementing Article 50 properly anyway and the pressure pure numbers is putting on infrastructure ie police, NHS) then parliament can temper the decision to ensure it isn't outright discriminatory as is the entire point of parliament.

To say participating in democracy in a way you don't like is grounds to be abused in the street and presumably punched merely on suspicion of a thought crime - the Antifa spunktrumpets beat one of their own because they thought he was a Nazi http://www.dailywire.com/news/20089/...omo#exit-modal (and I know the source is questionable, but there is literally video evidence of the guy explaining it), is ridiculous AND proves mistreating someone because of your perception of what they are is grade A moronic. Either have sensible, rational discussions or shut up. This mob rule rubbish is just further proving people's points about the unwillingness to confront other ideas.

As for the idea people should be abused for their viewpoint to 'prevent intolerance' all I can say is its useful all these people saying this aren't the ones deciding what intolerance is in law because claiming all Brexiters are intolerant is so far off the reservation it isn't even funny.

Having said all that - the people being shouted at need to get a grip and tell these shrieking idiots exactly where to stick their unsolicited opinions rather than crying about it.
    oh stop complaining.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    Argument yes, words like ***** are unacceptable and are just abuse.
    Pretty much exactly this, there is absolutely no reason for them to have abuse sent their way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    If people are being abuse by other students on campuses for what ever reason they should go to the police and get them changed with abusive behavior

ReputationRep:
    Ironically if more of those who are abusing young Brexit voters had bothered to vote (or if all their friends had) then it is likely that this act of economic self-harm would not have happened and we would have voted to Remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    They made their bed.

"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

Now they can lie in it.

Of course if they claim it's because the UK will be better off economically than because of underlying xenophobia then...they probably shouldn't be at uni anyway, given the ability to evaluate the quality and validity of sources of information and defer to expert opinion when necessary in the face of their own ignorance or uncertainty is a key feature of academia.
    Lol, you literally think 'defering to expert opinion' is a good quality in a student?!

What about free-thinkers, willing to challenge authority and make up their own minds? Have they not always been the driving force behind progress?

Honestly, the extent of intellectual cowardice in universities today...

ReputationRep:
    I voted leave and was very open about it with my classmates on the BPTC, which has absolutely tons of arrogant Guardian types on it. Got some strong disagreement and in some cases shock, but not as much as when I badmouthed Jeremy Corbyn.

Couldn't really care less tbh. Others can feel free to keep crying about it if they like. I'll settle for getting my way :dontknow:

(Original post by usualsuspects)
    To reiterate, I want to be able to call a communist a deluded idiot, a nazi racist, a fascist a liberticidal scum, Berlusconi a thief, Putin a corrupt warmonger, Stalin a criminal, Caesar an infamous tyrant, the UN head a useless hypocrite and a brexiteer a working class xenophobe. This is freedom of speech. You snowflakes call it abuse.
    Quite right tbh. I really don't want to see the Brexit camp become snowflakes. It would really damage our credibility when we insult safe spaces and the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    oh stop complaining.
    Stop complaining about my complaining. Oh, nice non argument by the way
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Those on the right are becoming the new social justice warriors.

They complain and complain about people being mean about their views and seem utterly convinced that there's this great big media induced Marxist conspiracy against them.

I'm not really sure why this site seems to attract so many of these types. But I guess that's the way that the right in general is going. Their number one priority seems to be take any position on the basis of how much it annoys the the left. Hence the scepticism of climate change and support for Trump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    Stop complaining about my complaining. Oh, nice non argument by the way
    You're still whining...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    You're still whining...
    Touche genius - but I assume its because you don't have any proper arguments because otherwise you're making yourself look stupid for no reason. Have the last word if you want, but it won't make you look any smarter.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.