Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dustin Hoffman among stars facing new harassment accusations Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Dustin Hoffman is another name on the list of stars facing harassment accusations lately, having been accused of sexual misconduct. He's been accused of sexual harassment against a 17-year-old girl, and has responded to the article with an apology.

Kevin Spacey and Brett Ratner have also been accused, with Kevin Spacey giving a controversial apology statement, but Ratner's lawyer categorically denying all the accusations on his behalf.

Michael Oreskes was also accused is misconduct, and has resigned following accusations of kissing female colleagues without their consent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41836843

ReputationRep:
    This could just be my ignorance, but why is it when you're accused of other crimes like rape, burglary etc. you're innocent until proven guilty, but with sexual harassment accusations, you're guilty until proven innocent? People are being fired, resigning etc. but (as far as I'm aware, again correct me if I'm wrong but don't hate on me for my thoughts) they haven't actually been proven guilty. Is my train of thought valid or have I missed something?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    This could just be my ignorance, but why is it when you're accused of other crimes like rape, burglary etc. you're innocent until proven guilty, but with sexual harassment accusations, you're guilty until proven innocent? People are being fired, resigning etc. but (as far as I'm aware, again correct me if I'm wrong but don't hate on me for my thoughts) they haven't actually been proven guilty. Is my train of thought valid or have I missed something?
    Mainly because they're still in positions of power. Other crimes, financial misconduct for instance, has seen plenty of politicians leave their posts - most notably in France a few years ago with the amount of the top French politicians with all their money in Swiss bank accounts. The resignation is often due to the fact that the allegations are professional ones.

The idea of public perception in connection with this is certainly a valid argument though. But I think post-Saville, the British public certainly believe that we have yet to scrape the barrel of institutional sexual crimes of this nature.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It was pointed out recently that it does seem that as soon as you see a male celeb declare himself a feminist you can start the clock on the countdown to him being revealed as a sex pest come creepy pervert of some kind.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    This isn't just happening for harassment allegations. Being accused of a crime is not a protected characteristic, meaning employers are perfectly allowed to fire you based on completely unproven allegations, and you have no right to your job back if you manage to clear your name. Justice can be a brutal business at times.

ReputationRep:
    Hollywood is run by Jews and always has been
    Every major film studio is Jewish

They know it, they boast about it how they run the media, wallstreet etc

Then when you as a White person say it, you're called a Nazi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balemak)
    Hollywood is run by Jews and always has been
    Every major film studio is Jewish

They know it, they boast about it how they run the media, wallstreet etc

Then when you as a White person say it, you're called a Nazi
    Jews are 99% white people. There is a small minority of Ethiopian Jews.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.