Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yea,I'm pretty speechless I have to say..Here are my thoughts

I've done a lot of preparation for this based on the assumption it was like going to be any other paper from (2004-2016); and I think I failed spectacularly.
    I finished quite early (30 mi nearly); and spent the last bit of time scavenging any marks I could get. I'm 100% sure I lost more than 30% so yea..
    I would still back myself to get an interview; but I don't have high hopes of getting a competitive PAT mark.

I think generally the previous PATs was a lot easier than I would have expected; if you think about it it is an admissions test for OXFORD and for a subject like PHYSICS I expected it to be much harder. ( I was still only getting around 80% though).
    Regardless of what I thought I prepared for a test around the same difficulty as the previous tests; and thats where I think I let myself down.

I suppose a test like the one we had today would favour gifted candidates given its difficulty and more importantly the fact that its radically different to what we were used to and expecting. No bog standard questions came up. Revision and preparation probably would have mattered less in this test. Sadly for me I depend on hard work and preparation and the test this year didn't favour me.

ReputationRep:
    CRAZY paper... The least I have scored in all the past papers is 68, and my average is 75-80. This paper, oh boy, was crazy! I'm estimating 50-60... How much do you think the cut off will be??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The math was generally alright, it was the physics that made this papers a nightmare (I am really worried I made the wrong choice about the subject I chose, because I found the MAT papers much less stressful). Predicted shortlist mark?

ReputationRep:
    2012 had a shortlist mark of 51, but would had 1160 applicants. using 2016's numbers; 2017 would have about 200 more applicants than 2012.
    I would say the shortlist mark is 45.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ this estimation is based on personal opinion; as I found 2017 so much harder than 2012; with 2012 it was only the last mechanics question in the end.
    Not sure how heavy will the factors of
    1.difficulty
    2. number of applicants
    effect the shortlisting mark.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think it was as bad as 2012, still found it awful though, highest mark in the country in 2012 was 83 though, imagine it'll be similar this time round....

ReputationRep:
    How long will it take for them to contact those who will be interviewed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumSnowy)
    Personally I don't think it was as bad as 2012, still found it awful though, highest mark in the country in 2012 was 83 though, imagine it'll be similar this time round....
    perhaps our minds work quite differently.. because i cerntainly found it much harder; anyone else weigh in on this?

ReputationRep:
    Yep. A LOT harder. The physics graph sketching question (not specifying which one) was just MAD.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, disapointed about the lack of a particular topic in phyiscs (with the exception of one silly problem).

ReputationRep:
    Deleted post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macdesharko)
    perhaps our minds work quite differently.. because i cerntainly found it much harder; anyone else weigh in on this?
    I have to agree with quantumsnowy..2012 absolutely whipped my ass, as did almost every other paper before this one so I went into this expecting it to be very difficult. It turned out exactly as I expected, so at least I wasn't thrown by the difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    that simple maths graph i also made silly mistakes and I suppose others should at least know how to draw that graph. lmao, feel really sad

ReputationRep:
    I will soon find out what a rejection letter looks like... I was hoping for 2015 difficulty, but...meh. I'm expecting 60...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeakswai)
    that simple a grmaths graph i also made silly mistakes and I suppose others should at least know how to draw that graph. lmao, feel really sad
    Was there a graph question? I don't even remember

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god. The paper was a lot harder. By the way did anyone did that integration question? (not specifying) that was absolutely a tough question.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get the integration

ReputationRep:
    The integration question was fine, it was the physics questions that killed me. All of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieeTownsend)
    Message me how you did it please?
    Haha. On monday not today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexxcor)
    The integration question was fine, it was the physics questions that killed me. All of them
    Message me how you did it please?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.