Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am considering applying to Ravensbourne University for Digital Film production and I was wondering if any of you are currently a student or if any of you are considering applying too. I am not able to go to an open day however I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if it's a good university, I know it's a media school and so it's very artsy however is the education good?, the accommodation? I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me. Thank you very much
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by femakcan)
    Hello, I am considering applying to Ravensbourne University for Digital Film production and I was wondering if any of you are currently a student or if any of you are considering applying too. I am not able to go to an open day however I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if it's a good university, I know it's a media school and so it's very artsy however is the education good?, the accommodation? I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me. Thank you very much
    Ravensbourne see above

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I am also considering Ravensbourne as my option, but I am concerned about their teaching quality.

In terms of overall satisfaction, they are ranked 145th, it's almost the worst in the country.
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...action-results

However, the showreels done by students there seems to be very professional and well done.
    So how can students do good work without having a good quality of teaching?
    Do they learn staffs outside of the course since Ravensbourne has a strong connection with the industry?
    Or they are just experienced and good at making films from the beginning and they just go there to make more connections?

I would appreciate hearing from those attends or graduated the course.
    Sorry to interrupt you, femakcan!

ReputationRep:
    By the way, what did you pick for other options?

I am thinking of applying to Uni of Westminster, AUB, Norwich University of Art, and Middlesex. Not sure about 5th one.

ReputationRep:
    Hey , I am considering applying to Brunel (sociology with media), University of Bournemouth ( media communication), university of arts london ( definelty have a look at this uni if you're considering applying to UAB) and I'm still not sure about the rest. Have you had a look at Ravensbourne yet? I've heard many good things about it.

p.s: which course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've read the some reviews about their teaching quality and to be fairly honest, that is my main concern. But I definelty agree with the fact that the videos, shortfilms and showreels they produce are really professional. So, I'm asking the same question as you misaki0113, I'd appreciate if anyone attending Ravensbourne could give some HONEST opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I just asked questions to a graduate I found on Facebook and she replied me!

This is what she told me
    - The student satisfaction survey thing is not reliable because a large number of students don’t fill out.
    - The course is very practical based and they have a lot of equipment to use.
    - The tutors are all fantastic and friendly / they worked for year in the industry
    - Last year, one of the students got nominated for BEFTA and her film has also been screened by Warner Brothers (which I think is amazing!)

From what I heard from her, Ravensbourne film production course seems very appealing to me!
    What do you think??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey misaki0113! This information is very helpful! I think it answers many questions and it is true that sometimes you can't really rely on the surveys because they can be deceiving. By the way, I'm going to the O2 on the 17th and Ravensbourne is right next to the O2. I'll see if I can have a little look around and perhaps inside and I'll let you know what I see, it won't quite be like a visit on a open day but I hope it'll be helpful.

Another question misaki0113, what is your top choice at the moment? and have you been to any open days? I find this thread incredibly helpful, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Yeah please let me know what it’s like. I’m an international student so I cannot manage to go any open days.

I am thinking of applying to uni of Westminster, AUB, NUA, and misslesex(not sure about this one actually). I’m definitely sure about uni of Westminster and AUB because they have the best dim course but I’ll reconsider for other options by asking graduates or students there.

What about you? What’s your top choice?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm also an international student but I'm doing my A Levels in the UK. For now my top choice seems to be Bournemouth however Brunel University is really good too. I'm gonna have a look at westminster uni since you're saying its really good. I'll let you know how Ravensbourne is Once again, thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misaki0113)
    Hello. I am also considering Ravensbourne as my option, but I am concerned about their teaching quality.

In terms of overall satisfaction, they are ranked 145th, it's almost the worst in the country.
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...action-results

However, the showreels done by students there seems to be very professional and well done.
    So how can students do good work without having a good quality of teaching?
    Do they learn staffs outside of the course since Ravensbourne has a strong connection with the industry?
    Or they are just experienced and good at making films from the beginning and they just go there to make more connections?

I would appreciate hearing from those attends or graduated the course.
    Sorry to interrupt you, femakcan!
    Hey femakcan and misaki0113,

It's really nice to know your thinking about Ravensbourne. I'm currently a student there studying Graphic Design but I have friends who do Digital Film Production and I've always heard good things. All the courses in Ravensbourne are practical so you'll see a lot of the film students out and about filming rather than in the building. They get a lot of practice using industry equipment from day 1. One of my friends was telling me how they make a new short every 1-2 weeks with short projects given to them. A lot of the students also go out and work as freelancers or start their own production companies while still being in the course. Since we are so industry focused all the tutors and lecturers are current industry professionals who have their own links to projects outside of a course setting. Even first year students work with professionals on shoots with the experience they gain from using the equipment that the Central Loan Resources provides. All the students from production to design are encouraged to go to festivals and enter competitions as soon as they enter to start getting their name out into the industry. We also have talks and networking events with industry throughout the three terms. I personally really love it here at Ravensbourne. We are a small community compared to other universities but that just means that I can work with and meet people from different courses. The open space helps with this as well.

We don't have any formal dorms to offer but we are partnered up with Scape and Unite who offer limited discounted rooms to our students. You can find out more about the different accommodations around us here.

Also if you fill out this formor contact us by calling you can come have a building tour when it is convienient for you if you can not make a open day or Wednesday tours.

I hope this has helped and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask,

Row

ReputationRep:
    hey Row!,

Thank you so much for this extremely informative message. I will be applying to Ravensbourne because I have been getting really positive feedback lately. I think this will be a good opportunity for me! Can't wait! Once again, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! How was the visit, femakcan? Any new discoveries?

ReputationRep:
    Hey misaki0113! I'm visiting Ravensbourne next weekend and I promise to keep you updated. By the way, have you heard anything about Goldsmiths University London? I'm considering applying but I have my concerns about their course for media and communication. I'm still looking for my last two choices... so stressful.
    Let me know if you hear anything! Talk to you soon!

ReputationRep:
    Hey misaki0113! I'm visiting Ravensbourne next weekend and I promise to keep you updated. By the way, have you heard anything about Goldsmiths University London? I'm considering applying but I have my concerns about their course for media and communication. I'm still looking for my last two choices... so stressful.
    Let me know if you hear anything! Talk to you soon!

I thought of applying there once. But as you said their course is Media and communication, not really focused on Film. If you have already set your mind to do filmmaking, that's is not for you. Have you looked the course module?

From students all the students' reviews, I think the best film course is University of Westminster, Arts University Bournemouth, Ravensbourne, and University of Creative Arts. (maybe Norwich University of the Arts)
    It's just my point of view though! Let me know if you've got more questions.

Misaki

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.