Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Looking to study human sciences- which combines geography and biology modules, so any insight from anyone studying these subjects would be great.

Given the small size of the Cornwall campus compared to lots of universities, you'd hope it would have the advantage of better quality contact time.
    What are your smallest class sizes? How regularly do they occur? What opportunities are there to debate and discuss academic material with tutors and students?

I just don't want teaching to wholly consist of being talked at in large lectures

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year geography student on the Penryn Campus and there are human science students in a few of my modules so I hope I can help a little!

My lecture sizes with the human science students in are around 70 students, although most of that is geography students. I have a friend studying animal behaviour who also takes a human science module and she says there's around 50 people in that one. Overall I think there are about 15-20 human science students in my year group, so some of your lectures would probably be with very small numbers.

The class sizes also decrease with each year, so by third year they may only be a handful of you in a lecture/seminar.

I'd be lying if I said there weren't lots of lectures - my timetable currently consists only of lectures, although that changes next term - but due to the smaller sizes they are normally quite interactive, with the lecturer asking questions to the group, or at least once a week one of them is done as a 'workshop' which involves group work and then feeding back our ideas to everyone else. So I would say there's quite a large scope to discuss academic material and this goes outside the lectures too into discussions with your friends. You can also go and see the lecturers individually if you ever wanted to discuss/question academic material with them.

I hope that helps in some way! If you've got any other questions then feel free to ask :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 13, 2017

University open days

1. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.