• PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Gavin Williamson has been appointed as the new defence secretary following Fallon's resignation on Wednesday, with Julian Smith replacing him as Chief Whip.

This reshuffle happens after Fallon became the first politician to quit following the recent claims of sexual harassment in parliament.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41844320

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an odd choice- maybe they need a new start with the whips office. I wonder if there’ll be a woman whip now?

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/926042212932218881

Rather disturbing to see that apparently a large number of Tory MPs think that jobs should be chosen based on gender... Gender discrimination is OK, as long as it is against men, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Gavin Williamson is doing very well- possible successor to May?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Bit of an odd choice- maybe they need a new start with the whips office. I wonder if there’ll be a woman whip now?
    Err... the new whip is a man. And the old whip, given all that has just happened with the whipping system being involved in sexist harassment being built into the system, has been promoted to defense secretary. If you meant any of your disgust at the recent "sleaze scandal" you shouldn't be praisful about this. To promote the cheif whip after it has come to light party discipline involves covering up sexual assault shows a total weakness or a total disinterest in changing any of this. Or both. Neither is good.

Gavin Williamson is generally considered a slime ball by his fellow Tory MPs. He also knows all the dirt on his colleagues and is now in a great place to challenge the PM.

Some Tory reaction...

Lara Kuenssberg: "One minister tells me ‘She is so weak she has let Williamson appoint himself-this is appalling’"

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/926046115467857920

Are we gonna get some 90s style Tory infighting? Whoever wins someone I don't like looses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Err... the new whip is a man. And the old whip, given all that has just happened with the whipping system being involved in sexist harassment being built into the system, has been promoted to defense secretary. If you meant any of your disgust at the recent "sleaze scandal" you shouldn't be praisful about this. To promote the cheif whip after it has come to light party discipline involves covering up sexual assault shows a total weakness or a total disinterest in changing any of this. Or both. Neither is good.

Gavin Williamson is generally considered a slime ball by his fellow Tory MPs. He also knows all the dirt on his colleagues and is now in a great place to challenge the PM.

Some Tory reaction...

Lara Kuenssberg: "One minister tells me ‘She is so weak she has let Williamson appoint himself-this is appalling’"

Are we gonna get some 90s style Tory infighting? Whoever wins someone I don't like looses
    Westminster isnt going to change, I think its clear from the teaction to this scandal they see it as just that, a scandal that they might have to sacrifice a couple of people to, but a scandal that in 6 months time no one will care about.

Tory infighting is a problem though because it isnt just them that loses, its everyone else as well. The UK economic outlook is precarious and the government is already distracted enough with Brexit.

If the Tories decide to have a spat then we can forget not only about having a functioning government but also getting anything resembling a good deal from Brexit negotiations.

ReputationRep:
    Make no mistake, Gavin Williamson wants to be PM. And he knows all the dirt on his fellow MPs.

ReputationRep:

Some Tory reaction...

I posted that before I read about Williamson.

What ha e you read about Williamson? I’ve only read that he’s competent, has a tarantula, voted remain and hates Boris Johnson. So I’m disposed to liking the chap. Unless there is evidence that Williamson used those tactics himself I’m not that bothered.

Some Tory is angry that he got promoted and they didn’t, gee shocker.

May is weak snd useless but anyone in her position will be vulnerable to opportunistic slander from ambitious newcomers.

ReputationRep:
    Make no mistake, Gavin Williamson wants to be PM. And he knows all the dirt on his fellow MPs.

So did Michael Gove. Whilst his star is in the ascendant it certainly isn’t the inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Gavin Williamson is doing very well- possible successor to May?
    Relatively unknown outside the parliamentary party but that's not a bad thing if MP's choose to break with the status-quo.

I'd still say no at this stage although i do hope we see his tarantula.

ReputationRep:
    Bit disappointed that 'Leaver' Penny Mordaunt was not chosen.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.