Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should the drinking age be in the UK? Watch

• View Poll Results: What should the drinking age be in the UK?
    Should be raised
    23.09%
    Should stay the same
    61.81%
    Should be lowered
    15.10%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Alcohol should be banned to all ages. The health and societal damage is unarguable.
    I think that prohibition in the USA shows perfectly why simply banning something can in many cases make the problem infinitely worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    I guess my use of italics didn't have the effect I was hoping.

It should be banned, but I both know it won't and hopefully should never be attempted. I'm down to my last 30 litres of red from my holiday in France this summer.

The state does protect us from so many things, but not this.

Everyone loves a good chart, here's one that Professor Nutt dun:

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/wp-conte...essor-nutt.jpg
    That's why liberals argue for legalising drugs.

I don't like the way you quoted me at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    That's why liberals argue for legalising drugs.
    I happen to be in favour of legalising certain drugs, but I would argue that the graph could be interpreted the other way:

Rather than saying since alcohol is much worse than so many drugs, therefore we should legalise those drugs, we should be saying that since alcohol is so much worse than things we all agree are evil drugs, we should be limiting alcohol.

It hasn't happened and won't.

Thankfully.

I am sorry for quoting you in a way you didn't like.

ReputationRep:
    21 at least
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Most of the ones wanting it lower are generally butthurt under 18s.

18 is fine on yur own. 16 with food and a meal is okay I guess.

I dont drink that much though, if at all. Dont see the point anymore. Did all that while I was a student.

I have just as much as a good time (if not better) without it tbh. Ill still have a bucks fizz at Christmas though or one now and again on a special occasion or something.

People who want it banned though are silly.tried that in the US and it made their problem worse.

ReputationRep:
    18 is fine. This is the way it is in most countries, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I say keep it at 18, but relax it to 15 or 16 for supervised drinking in pubs. This is about the age that many of my normal peers started drinking at parties, and we have a pretty horrible alcohol culture. I went to one of these parties (stayed away from the stuff though) and one of my friends was really drunk halfway through pint no 3. He then continued ("because yolo") and ended up barely conscious. He was lucky that all of us looked after him - had he been with less sensible people, it could have gotten pretty ugly.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more about the whole culture surrounding drink than the minimum age. We have a very bad drinking culture here which they didn't seem to have in Greece when I was there; they drink a lot, but they don't get really drunk and start fights etc. 18 is fine really.

ReputationRep:
    What difference does it make? Underage drinking will still happen. Keep it as it is - there are more important things to be sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    The drinking age in the UK is 5, not 18.

You can only buy from 18, however. Or 16 in a restaurant.

ReputationRep:
    Technically the legal drinking age is 5.

You just can't go out on a bender buying up loads of booze until you're 18.
    I think it should stay where it is, but there needs to be MUCH more emphasis on teaching the dangers of binge drinking and alcoholism in young people at schools.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should remain 18 but discretion by the landlord to server over 16s

In the mid 80s a 16yr old could go into a pub and enjoy a pint with friends, landlords knew they were under 18 but if they were well behaved just slipped a blinder to the issue and carried on serving others. Yes, some pubs were strict looking for ID of 18s but I would say 70% were relaxed it was never an issue. A good landlord would stop serving you if it looks like you have had enough anyway, that's their job!

My concern now is with pubs being so restrictive, worried about licence loss if they serve an u18, if you look under 25 we will ask for ID etc, the yougsters that previously would have enjoyed a few pints, gone home merry after a great time are now turning to recreational drugs and other things for kicks or downing bottles of drink in friends places where zero regulation takes place. So problem not solved making pubs restrictive on u18 they have just moved the problem on.

Not all 16 yr olds are stupid and many could handle a few drinks at 16/17 if they could so I say keep at 18 but discretion by the bar tender if they are 16 or over.

ReputationRep:
    Lower it to 16.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is drinking at home and cheap supermarket booze that should be tackled first. Keep the age at 18 for pubs and clubs.

ReputationRep:
    The ideal world would be if we didn’t have anyone drinking alcohol and if it wasn’t illegal at all ages

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be a clear distinction between hard liquor/spirits and things like beer, wine and cider. Maybe raise the age for the former and lower it for the latter?

ReputationRep:
    I do think there is a bit of hypocrisy in all this: expecting that young people will drink (often to a reasonable amount) and buy booze before 18 - but pretending it doesn't happen.

That being said, do I want my local filled up with a bunch of schoolchildren? Not really. Then of course you have the question of downward pressure - if so many break the law at 16 or 17 now, would a lower age limit push that down yet further?

I think the situation in the past, where we were far less uptight about drinking but the law was the same, did have its benefits. A lot of Britain's social problems with alcohol stem from making it slightly illicit.

(Original post by LsDad)
    I think it should remain 18 but discretion by the landlord to server over 16s

In the mid 80s a 16yr old could go into a pub and enjoy a pint with friends, landlords knew they were under 18 but if they were well behaved just slipped a blinder to the issue and carried on serving others.
    The mid-80s? Try the early 2000s!

I do think there is a bit of hypocrisy in all this: expecting that young people will drink (often to a reasonable amount) and buy booze before 18 - but pretending it doesn't happen.

(Original post by Vindaloovians)
    I think there should be a clear distinction between hard liquor/spirits and things like beer, wine and cider. Maybe raise the age for the former and lower it for the latter?
    You can get just as easily plastered on some pints of continental lager as you can drinking vodka. I don't think there's much between it really. When beer and wine was far less potent in terms of alcohol by volume (which it certainly was in the recent past) the distinction maybe held true - but now, I don't see much sense in regulating them differently.

Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      I think the law is okay as it is, but agree with previous posters that more could be done to raise awareness of the dangers of binge drinking and addiction.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by klw18)
      I think the law is okay as it is, but agree with previous posters that more could be done to raise awareness of the dangers of binge drinking and addiction.
      I think this is a good standpoint really, a change in the age wouldn't necessarily mean that anyone was any better off if they didn't know the dangers etc of it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.