Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently taking chemistry, biology, physics and maths, but am going to drop physics/maths in January. I was wondering, is it possible to get a good grade in physics without doing maths?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's adds nothing other than the grade. Maths expands your course options considerably (for example, Cambridge Nat Sci at the least) and is more useful in general than Physics without Maths. You will also probably need to put in more work to Physics if you're not taking Maths concurrently to ensure you get a minimum level of maths practice each week to keep up with those who get that from the A-level Maths itself, along with the usual work you put into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Yes, but it's adds nothing other than the grade. Maths expands your course options considerably (for example, Cambridge Nat Sci at the least) and is more useful in general than Physics without Maths. You will also probably need to put in more work to Physics if you're not taking Maths concurrently to ensure you get a minimum level of maths practice each week to keep up with those who get that from the A-level Maths itself, along with the usual work you put into it.
    Thank you for the reply! Yes; although I want to do medicine, so I don't think they'd mind if I don't have maths, although I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of math skills involved in Physics especially in the Mechanics section. This same content repeats itself in the M1 and M2 and even M3. This would mean you will have already learned 1/3 of the Maths course and with Physics being a subject demanding a lot of Math skills I would highly recommend continuing doing Math for A-Level.

As well as this, Math is a subject that people in Admissions want to see when applying for medicine. Hence, studying this may increase your chances to get into the University of your choice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polinaa)
    Thank you for the reply! Yes; although I want to do medicine, so I don't think they'd mind if I don't have maths, although I don't know.
    Well neither is required explicitly, although some medical schools do prefer or require 3 STEM subjects. In either case, Maths is more useful in the long term and equally useful in the short. I'd suggest either considering courses that only require the two science subjects and don't care about a third and take something you can get a good grade in, or take Maths.

Of course the former case may actually lead to Physics being the option taken anyway. I still wouldn't really suggest it but, if you're confident that you can do much better in Physics than Maths accounting for additional work needed to keep up, then do that to maximise your grades for when you apply.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently taking chemistry, biology, physics and maths, but am going to drop physics/maths in January. I was wondering, is it possible to get a good grade in physics without doing maths?
    I’m doing Physics without Maths, and honestly, it really depends on the person. Their motivation, scientific skills and mathematical skills. You won’t be able to do any courses that required Maths. Some people choose Physics because they like Maths but remember it is a science subject at the end of the day.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    I’m doing Physics without Maths, and honestly, it really depends on the person. Their motivation, scientific skills and mathematical skills. You won’t be able to do any courses that required Maths. Some people choose Physics because they like Maths but remember it is a science subject at the end of the day.
    Oh. How are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh. How are you finding it?
    Not as bad as I expected it to be. My main reason I lose marks though is due to little math mistakes
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It would be more useful to have Maths with Physics but it's possible to do it without Maths. However, you'll still need to practice a good amount of maths to keep up with the work. Generally, for your 3 subjects Biology, Chemistry and Maths will be more useful and more broad than Physics over maths. In addition, you'll have to do the physics practicals the same as the other two Sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.