Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvogadrosAvocado)
    Last years paper was so so much more straightforward than this one. I found both sections 1 and 2 in the 2016 paper really easy to do, but this one was so bad.
    I don't know how well I did in the 2017 paper obviously but deffo did better than 2016 (well about the same in the maths section but yeah).

ReputationRep:
    The first section went okay but I ran out of time as per usual. Section 2 however was just awful. There were more calculations than last year and they gated loads of marks behind other calculation questions. I was genuinely unable to answer 3/4 of the questions on part 2. Looks like I'm probs not getting an interview now lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooms)
    The first section went okay but I ran out of time as per usual. Section 2 however was just awful. There were more calculations than last year and they gated loads of marks behind other calculation questions. I was genuinely unable to answer 3/4 of the questions on part 2. Looks like I'm probs not getting an interview now lol.
    Don't say that, a 4.0 for last year's NSAA was only 6 or 7 marks on section 2 Although of course it does vary year to year so take what I say with a pinch of salt

ReputationRep:
    I did biology and chemistry for section one, and one Biology, one Chem for section 2. I found it harder that last years paper but maybe that was just because there was a bit more pressure and stress. I think I managed to answer most of the mcqs, had to guess a few at the end (about 8). I was planning to do two chemistry questions for section 2 but then when it came to it I hadn't actually learnt about the content of one of them and had to do biology instead. It went okay, could have been a lot worse.

Any other applicants for biological natural sciences?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Im biological nat sci too. Did the chem and bio multiple choice qs first then only had time for a couple of the maths ones. Frustrating not to get a chance even to attempt all the others.Section 2 was a little better, did both chem questions..not sure if camb will like that though as I spoke a lot about bio in my personal statement!Do you think having only done a couple of the maths ones is gunna look really bad?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for the interviews!! Don’t worry too much about the NSAA, I think the exam stress could have made the paper appear more difficult as well. All the best for A levels!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruh2132)
    I didnt even know we had to number the questions....
    Neither did I 😂 Doesn't matter anyway because I probably got them all wrong 😂

ReputationRep:
    Guys, just would like to know how many (out of 18) you could manage for Math Section 1 NSAA? I was running ot of time while doing it, prolly guessed 10 of them X_XIt’s kinda unfair actually and the results can be misleading imo. It’s the time constraint, not the difficulty of the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eloquent45)
    Guys, just would like to know how many (out of 18) you could manage for Math Section 1 NSAA? I was running ot of time while doing it, prolly guessed 10 of them X_XIt’s kinda unfair actually and the results can be misleading imo. It’s the time constraint, not the difficulty of the questions.
    They know most people can do the questions given more time. But that's the purpose of the test, to see which candidates have the highest fluency of skill in their subjects. Because to do the questions in the allotted time, you have to be able to determine the fastest way to complete the questions during the test. Those who score really high obviously would have great fluency and understanding of their subjects' material.

But that's why they don't expect you to score that high, 50% is already good enough. And also, it is just one component of the overall admissions process. We can only hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    Guys, does anyone know how the answers in Section 2 are marked? If I solve a problem properly, but make a mistake in the calculations and get a wrong solution can I get half marks or something like that for it? I mean do they mark only the absolutely correct solutions or can I get points for thinking well, but getting a wrong answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iroon)
    Guys, does anyone know how the answers in Section 2 are marked? If I solve a problem properly, but make a mistake in the calculations and get a wrong solution can I get half marks or something like that for it? I mean do they mark only the absolutely correct solutions or can I get points for thinking well, but getting a wrong answer?
    Yeah hopefully error carried forward are a thing and you only get marked docked on subsequent parts for not getting the right answer at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_anniex99)
    Neither did I 😂 Doesn't matter anyway because I probably got them all wrong 😂
    yup im exactly the same tbh I wrote so much bs for every question

ReputationRep:
    yup im exactly the same tbh I wrote so much bs for every question
    Oh well 😂 Didn't want to go to Cambridge anyway 😂

ReputationRep:
    Oh well 😂 Didn't want to go to Cambridge anyway 😂
    hahaha thats exactly what ive been telling myself

ReputationRep:
    hahaha thats exactly what ive been telling myself
    To be fair though it's unusual for people on TSR to say an exam was bad so maybe everyone thought it went terribly 😂

ReputationRep:
    To be fair though it's unusual for people on TSR to say an exam was bad so maybe everyone thought it went terribly 😂
    well pretty much everyone at my school said they ran out of time so I hope all applicants did bad tbh, what else are you applying for btw?

ReputationRep:
    well pretty much everyone at my school said they ran out of time so I hope all applicants did bad tbh, what else are you applying for btw?
    Bath, Exeter, Kent and Royal Holloway wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Bath, Exeter, Kent and Royal Holloway wbu?
    Durham(I'm banking on now) Exeter imperial and st Andrews.
    Do you know when we get a rejection/invitation to an interview btw?

ReputationRep:
    Durham(I'm banking on now) Exeter imperial and st Andrews.
    Do you know when we get a rejection/invitation to an interview btw?
    A girl in the year above me got in to Cambridge last year and she got an invited to an interview mid/late November so still a few weeks to wait 😭 Have you got an interview for Exeter yet?

ReputationRep:
    A girl in the year above me got in to Cambridge last year and she got an invited to an interview mid/late November so still a few weeks to wait 😭 Have you got an interview for Exeter yet?
    I got an offer from there for AAB I'm pretty happy about I think I'm gonna put it as my insurance wby? mid November is actually not that bad for them to mark all of the papers what college are you applying for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.