Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bath suffers 'very significant' drop in student applications Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    According to a local press report about a "leaked email", the University of Bath is significantly lagging behind its competitors at this stage of the UCAS application cycle.

The Bath Chronicle reports: "An email sent by the University of Bath's head of undergraduate admission shows the university is attracting fewer students while its rivals Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Loughborough, UCL and Warwick have enjoyed six per cent rises.
    “It is clear Bath is underperforming the sector and our immediate competitors, and in the case of international applications, very significantly so,” the email that was leaked said."

Bath has been in the news recently with its VC receiving a controversial £451k pay packet, but the university's director of student admissions says he's confident applications will pick up as the 15th January deadline approaches.

The latest Ucas data for the University of Bath shows:
    * UK student applications are down 2.8 per cent amid a 1.1 decrease to all universities – and a 4.4 per cent rise for its competitors
    * EU applications are down 7 per cent, compared to an 8.2 per cent rise for its six rivals and 1.1 per cent rise nationally
    * Non-EU applications are down 18.46 per cent compared to an 11.5 per cent rise for its competitors and 9.1 per cent national increase

Source: http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/news/...ns-fall-713009

Bath is a consistently a Top 15 university, with good industry links and grad prospects. It was awarded a Gold in the TEF.

So is the VCs pay really a factor for the drop? Or is it just a blip and it will get back on track by January?

ReputationRep:
    It is a top university but I don't think it is particularly well known internationally or even compared to domestic alternatives.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    a 3% fall at this point is nothing (and that 6% increase for the other universities is an average across all 6, there could well be a university among them with a similar fall in applications). They might want o get their heads out their arses about entering clearing though.

Given that it's half term fortnight and that influences application dates any comparisons in late October/early Nov are ropey anyway - things can go from 10% down to 10% up in a week because the comparison dates don't track precisely to school holiday dates.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    a 3% fall at this point is nothing (and that 6% increase for the other universities is an average across all 6, there could well be a university among them with a similar fall in applications). They might want o get their heads out their arses about entering clearing though.

Given that it's half term fortnight and that influences application dates any comparisons in late October/early Nov are ropey anyway - things can go from 10% down to 10% up in a week because the comparison dates don't track precisely to school holiday dates.
    Seems the non-UK applications are worse though. But I guess they are smaller numbers so large week-by-week % swings will be more natural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Bath is a consistently a Top 15 university, with good industry links and grad prospects. It was awarded a Gold in the TEF.
    I wonder if Bath gives out many unconditional if firmed offers. I bet it doesn't.

The metric that really matters is bums on seats at the end of the cycle, and the quality of those bums, not an over-supply of candidates too nervous to wait for their exam results.

Perhaps, though, larger and midland cities are just cheaper to live in and closer to more people seeking insurance places.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I wonder if Bath gives out many unconditional if firmed offers. I bet it doesn't.

The metric that really matters is bums on seats at the end of the cycle, and the quality of those bums, not an over-supply of candidates too nervous to wait for their exam results.

Perhaps, though, larger and midland cities are just cheaper to live in and closer to more people seeking insurance places.
    No I don't think they've resorted to those kinds of tactics.

ReputationRep:
    Why would pay be an issue especially for non UK applicants. Makes no sense
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Good good... the library is tricky enough for space as it is :lol:*

*caveats aside
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Why would pay be an issue especially for non UK applicants. Makes no sense
    Just guessing, but perhaps Internationals will be less familiar with the university and googling about it will find concerns about VC pay and "governance".
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Seems the non-UK applications are worse though. But I guess they are smaller numbers so large week-by-week % swings will be more natural.
    Internationals come in late - they're usually from schools/countries that aren't familiar with UCAS and the deadlines associated. IIRR about 40% of UK international applications come in AFTER the jan 15th deadline

ReputationRep:
    Just guessing, but perhaps Internationals will be less familiar with the university and googling about it will find concerns about VC pay and "governance".
    But why would they care? Maybe it's just me but who really cares about this?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    But why would they care? Maybe it's just me but who really cares about this?
    Yup I agree, but negative online coverage might cause some to pause for thought.

ReputationRep:
    Would've thought all Unis would receive a decrease of EU applicants, given their tuition fees aren't guaranteed to stay constant after Brexit.

Hmm, can't really think of anything else, apart from the VC. I imagine it got spread all over twitter, similar to other topics in the last election, which saw how much youth can be mobilised to impact elections, and since it's again, the younger adults applying (mostly), I would assume the VC does have some effect.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Would've thought all Unis would receive a decrease of EU applicants, given their tuition fees aren't guaranteed to stay constant after Brexit.
    EU applications for other universities have actually recovered compared to last year. They are up 1.1% nationally, and up 8.2% for Bath's rivals.

ReputationRep:
    EU applications for other universities have actually recovered compared to last year. They are up 1.1% nationally, and up 8.2% for Bath's rivals.
    Does that mean the number of EU applications in 2017 is higher than 2015, i.e. before brexit impacted applications?

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think they've resorted to those kinds of tactics.
    Much as I deplore the tactic, which will lead to a decline in standards if it continues, I wonder if Bath is suffering (in terms of applicants) from not adopting it. A nervous candidate could fairly easily construct a set of options from departments at other universities that do use it, and remove Bath from a place on their list. Hence the relative fall.

The proof in the pudding will lie in the final results in a few years time, though, as potentially, Bath's students outshine the nervous ones that went elsewhere, especially if they have a lower predisposition to drop out.

Of course, I may be woofing under the wrong arboreal lifeform altogether.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Does that mean the number of EU applications in 2017 is higher than 2015, i.e. before brexit impacted applications?
    Partly, but not entirely. The "early deadline" data for Medicine/Oxbridge has EU applicants up 6% this year vs a 9% fall last year.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I agree, but negative online coverage might cause some to pause for thought.
    Seems incredibly fickle. Maybe they are lucky to avoid these potential students.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Much as I deplore the tactic, which will lead to a decline in standards if it continues, I wonder if Bath is suffering (in terms of applicants) from not adopting it. A nervous candidate could fairly easily construct a set of options from departments at other universities that do use it, and remove Bath from a place on their list. Hence the relative fall.

The proof in the pudding will lie in the final results in a few years time, though, as potentially, Bath's students outshine the nervous ones that went elsewhere, especially if they have a lower predisposition to drop out.

Of course, I may be woofing under the wrong arboreal lifeform altogether.
    Bath considers Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Loughborough, UCL and Warwick to be its main competitors. Of which Birmingham is the market leader in UIF offers. I don't think any of the others do it much, if at all.*

But perhaps that Leporid will need to be pulled out of Bath's cranial covering.

*This gives me another thread idea... thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Could have to do with the fact they don't take As into account and instead look at gcse; disadvantages students like myself who flunked gcse and and massively improved at As

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.