Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bath suffers 'very significant' drop in student applications Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Although this

"Mr Nicholson said the university receives around 27,000 applications a year and makes 3,500 offers." is either a big old lie or a misquote by the paper

https://www.ucas.com/file/90116/download?token=RWyhP4bx (page 11) has 19,000 applications and 14,000 offers to UK applicants alone...
    3,500 places perhaps, including grads?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Reading the article it sounds like a routine email that's been jumped on by people with a vendetta against the VC (who don't have a clue about admissions)

As you said this sort of drop is nothing in comparison to what many universities are facing without any hint of senior resignations
    The joys of university politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    According to a local press report about a "leaked email", the University of Bath is significantly lagging behind its competitors at this stage of the UCAS application cycle.

The Bath Chronicle reports: "An email sent by the University of Bath's head of undergraduate admission shows the university is attracting fewer students while its rivals Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Loughborough, UCL and Warwick have enjoyed six per cent rises.
    “It is clear Bath is underperforming the sector and our immediate competitors, and in the case of international applications, very significantly so,” the email that was leaked said."

Bath has been in the news recently with its VC receiving a controversial £451k pay packet, but the university's director of student admissions says he's confident applications will pick up as the 15th January deadline approaches.

The latest Ucas data for the University of Bath shows:
    * UK student applications are down 2.8 per cent amid a 1.1 decrease to all universities – and a 4.4 per cent rise for its competitors
    * EU applications are down 7 per cent, compared to an 8.2 per cent rise for its six rivals and 1.1 per cent rise nationally
    * Non-EU applications are down 18.46 per cent compared to an 11.5 per cent rise for its competitors and 9.1 per cent national increase

Source: http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/news/...ns-fall-713009

Bath is a consistently a Top 15 university, with good industry links and grad prospects. It was awarded a Gold in the TEF.

So is the VCs pay really a factor for the drop? Or is it just a blip and it will get back on track by January?
    Interesting. As you say, it’s a top 15 University with consistently good rankings.

But as a student who’s been looking *mostly* into Law, I’ve hardly come across Bath as a strong contender. Is it possible it’s just not as well known?

That wouldn’t necessarily explain the drop in applications though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    But as a student who’s been looking *mostly* into Law, I’ve hardly come across Bath as a strong contender. Is it possible it’s just not as well known?

That wouldn’t necessarily explain the drop in applications though.
    They don't offer Law...

ReputationRep:
    I guess it doesn't matter as long as they fill their spaces

ReputationRep:
    They don't offer Law...
    I should of mentioned that I’ve only come across it whilst looking for Politics.

Could the lack of subject choice be a factor? They don’t offer History either. Law and History tend to be something offered by almost all other top Uni’s, not including more subject-specific ones.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I should of mentioned that I’ve only come across it whilst looking for Politics.

Could the lack of subject choice be a factor? They don’t offer History either. Law and History tend to be something offered by almost all other top Uni’s, not including more subject-specific ones.
    The range of courses hasn't changed since last year

ReputationRep:
    Could the lack of subject choice be a factor?
    How would this mean a disproportionate drop in applicants since last year, given the subjects offered haven't changed?

ReputationRep:
    Just guessing, but perhaps Internationals will be less familiar with the university and googling about it will find concerns about VC pay and "governance".
    Unable to confirm, I just looked at what the rankings were in the UK for the field of study I'm interested in, and then compared it with the Spiked! rankings. What I can say is that when I reached out to the University of Bath for more information in regards to what qualifications they'd want, they were entirely unhelpful/borderline useless, so I decided not to bother with them.

ReputationRep:
    I think that more or less everyone worth listening to in this thread has come to the conclusion that this article is jumped-up trash with an agenda against Bath's V-C pay. Time to rename and lock this thread, it seems!

Try Imperial next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    I think that more or less everyone worth listening to in this thread has come to the conclusion that this article is jumped-up trash with an agenda against Bath's V-C pay. Time to rename and lock this thread, it seems!

Try Imperial next.
    Yep, you’re very funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How would this mean a disproportionate drop in applicants since last year, given the subjects offered haven't changed?
    Well, if subjects like Law and History/whatever else Bath doesn’t offer are becoming more popular, universities that offer a wider range of subjects are going to get more applicants to coincide with that.

It’s possible, not likely, but entirely possible.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if subjects like Law and History/whatever else Bath doesn’t offer are becoming more popular,
    Are they becoming more popular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Are they becoming more popular?
    According to the guardian, History is the tenth most popular degree, and Law is the second. But I’m aware that doesn’t mean that they’ve become more popular with time, so I’m afraid I don’t know.

Just a thought. If they have, it could contribute to an explanation into why Bath’s number of applicants have decreased this year so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatline)
    Unable to confirm, I just looked at what the rankings were in the UK for the field of study I'm interested in, and then compared it with the Spiked! rankings. What I can say is that when I reached out to the University of Bath for more information in regards to what qualifications they'd want, they were entirely unhelpful/borderline useless, so I decided not to bother with them.
    This sort of happened to me. I had applied to bath and I asked them a very specific question about entry requirements. They gave me a non-answer so I asked again. They gave me another non-answer so I switched to another university. Part of me thinks their lack of money means they have a small administration team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    This sort of happened to me. I had applied to bath and I asked them a very specific question about entry requirements. They gave me a non-answer so I asked again. They gave me another non-answer so I switched to another university. Part of me thinks their lack of money means they have a small administration team.
    Had the same problem...asked a specific question about my qualifications and their entry requirements and they gave a copy/paste answer.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Lack of money? They have an operating surplus of 7%.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I'd love this to be a response to the horrendous pay rise, I doubt it. Nor will it change anything

ReputationRep:
    Lack of money? They have an operating surplus of 7%.
    I was suggesting it as a possibility based on the fact compared to its 'main competitors' Birmingham, Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and UCL, It has the lowest budget by a considerable amount (couldn't find Loughborough). (half the budget of the first three, £100 mil less than Exeter and a sixth of UCL, £1 Billion less). Also, it's endowment is one of the lowest in the UK (not that relevant I know). When contacting other uni's they have people specifically to hunt down the answer I need. Maybe it's a tenuous link to budget, but from experience (and others according to this thread), Bath has a low-level administration, I think that puts some people off.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I was suggesting it as a possibility based on the fact compared to its 'main competitors' Birmingham, Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and UCL, It has the lowest budget by a considerable amount (couldn't find Loughborough). (half the budget of the first three, £100 mil less than Exeter and a sixth of UCL, £1 Billion less). Also it's endowment is one of the lowest in the UK (not that relevant I know). When contacting other uni's they have people specifically to hunt down the answer I need, maybe it's a tenuous link to budget, but from experience, Bath have a low-level administration.
    They don't have an expensive medschool, amongst other differences.

But yes it's entirely fair comment for people to mention poor "customer service"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.