Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

But perhaps that lepidoptera will need to be pulled out of Bath's cranial covering.
    Lepus? Leporidae?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    I It has the lowest budget by a considerable amount.
    Of course it does:

Bath 16,150, £260.6 million
    Birmingham 33,800, £625.6 million
    Bristol 21,900, £565,8 million
    Exeter 22,100, £371.5 million
    UCL 37,100, £1.36 billion
    Warwick 25,600, £557 million

See the correlation?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by generallee)
    Lepus? Leporidae?
    Bloody spellcheck and not proofreading. Fixed. Ta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Of course it does:

Bath 16,150, £260.6 million
    Birmingham 33,800, £625.6 million
    Bristol 21,900, £565,8 million
    Exeter 22,100, £371.5 million
    UCL 37,100, £1.36 billion
    Warwick 25,600, £557 million

See the correlation?
    I understand the implied relationship. However, Warwick, UCL and Bristol clearly don't fit into this. Half and half actually proves there's no correlation at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see if this leak increases their applications because people will think that they have better chances now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    I understand the implied relationship. However, Warwick, UCL and Bristol clearly don't fit into this. Half and half actually proves there's no correlation at all.
    They all have a different mix of UG and PG students and different sources of funding depending on how they were founded and whether they have endowments. But Bath's budget does not have to go as far as a bigger university's.

ReputationRep:
    Also bath's financial support is really bad compared to Warrick, Manchester and Birmingham which all have 2 grand bursaries for low income households but Bath only has 9 total 1 grand bursaries. I mean there are a lot of schemes you can get on (as there are at Manchester and Birmingham) with companies but I don't really wanna do those.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Also bath's financial support is really bad compared to Warrick, Manchester and Birmingham which all have 2 grand bursaries for low income households but Bath only has 9 total 1 grand bursaries. I mean there are a lot of schemes you can get on (as there are at Manchester and Birmingham) with companies but I don't really wanna do those.
    ?

http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/burs...uate-students/

Our Gold scholarship programme offers bursaries of £5,000 per year of study (not including paid placement) to up to 50 students from low-income families.

Plus others.

ReputationRep:
    ?

http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/burs...uate-students/

Our Gold scholarship programme offers bursaries of £5,000 per year of study (not including paid placement) to up to 50 students from low-income families.

Plus others.
    Yeah you have to do loads of things for that one though. The others just give you 2 grand but the no strings attached at bath is only 1 grand and only 9 available. http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/inco...-scholarships/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah you have to do loads of things for that one though. The others just give you 2 grand but the no strings attached at bath is only 1 grand and only 9 available. http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/inco...-scholarships/
    The "loads of things" would all be excellent for a CV

An hour a week of volunteering seems a pretty good thing in exchange for £5k.

ReputationRep:
    The "loads of things" would all be excellent for a CV

An hour a week of volunteering seems a pretty good thing in exchange for £5k.
    My mum would want me to go there because it's close. I was thinking of applying for another natural science course but durham is too far away apparently.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I'd say it was just a blip at this stage, but I guess we'll find out come January.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I was thinking of applying for another natural science course but durham is too far away apparently.
    "Apparently"? It hasn't moved

If you like the course, apply. It's a lovely city - with a train station.

ReputationRep:
    "Apparently"? It hasn't moved

If you like the course, apply. It's a lovely city - with a train station.
    Yeah I do really like chemistry and it's my best subject but the problem with most of the natural science courses is that the later year options are far more limited than with single honours. I mean doing physics major and chemistry minor at bath would be like doing a core physics degree and 2/3rds of core chemistry but I much prefer how cambridge do it where you do a full first year in 3 subjects then narrow it down/ chose.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student and I didn't apply to bath coz their entry requirenment is relatively higher than some of its 'rival' unis. Also, compared to places like with places like UCL and Bristol the uni is less well known in my country + I also personally prefer bigger cities.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply to Bath simply because it doesn't offer my course. Also a very popular course, Psychology, I believe requires a Science A-Level and I don't recall if they include Psychology in that. I think it's pretty clear that it's because of a lack of med school, and I didn't even know that it was Bath that had the VC scandal (though I did know that said scandal happened). On a vaguely related note, I didn't look at Manchester because of the recent scandal of them sacking half their staff and replacing them with people it cost less to employ.

ReputationRep:
    EU students should go down further, they just cost the taxpayer money and take places from students who will actually live here in the future.

Unlike Internationals, they dont even pay extra

ReputationRep:
    As someone applying to unis this year, I was considering Bath. However there were simply better, more established unis out there that required the same grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nashh606)
    As someone applying to unis this year, I was considering Bath. However there were simply better, more established unis out there that required the same grades.
    > better

By what metric?

> more established

By what metric?

I'll concede that I'm not immune to my own biases (I hold an offer from Bath) but nonetheless, I would be interested to hear why you have reached this verdict.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by hannah00)
    EU students should go down further, they just cost the taxpayer money and take places from students who will actually live here in the future.

Unlike Internationals, they dont even pay extra
    How do EU student take places from UK students?

EU students have to repay their loan, same as home students. The default rate for EU students is no higher than UK students.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.