Turn on thread page Beta

Bath suffers 'very significant' drop in student applications watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Richards99)
    Yes, but do they work for Bath University's admission department? Every university is not the same.

I am countering the excuses previous posters have used to explain why Bath is seeing a fall in applications.

1. so what's changed since last year? all non-medical subjects seeing a decline in applications?
    2. it's the excuse used by people to explain the 15-20% drop in International applications. My point is that there has been no change in Bath's world ranking so this has not been a factor causing international applications to not apply.
    3. 'if the figures are to be believed', yes an internal admissions email which was leaked has reason to be false.
    I wonder why you use the word 'excuses'. Nobody is trying to excuse anything. We are simply speculating on what the cause in the drop might be, and have collectively pointed out that it may not be a real or (if real) a significant drop that needs explanation at this stage. Several reasons as to why Bath might differ from the general experience of application falls have been discussed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Bath was established as an independent university at roughly the same time as Warwick and its history goes back almost a hundred years before that. Do you challenge Warwick as not being established long enough?

I'd have thought Bath was to be applauded for ensuring its students are at a decent minimum standard (which must be better for its students), rather than joining in the current dive to the bottom.
    Warwick's maths and economics departments are world class and they have great links to employers especially in finance but also other areas too. Warwick does suffer in that it's fairly new but it seems to have a drive for ambition to keep getting better. This maybe why warwick has a better brand name overall which is definitely important to A*/A grade students. The undermining and mocking of Warwick is really just a tsr thing

I think it's really to do with the fact that we only have 5 choices, and Bath has very high grade requirements which for most students is either inaccessible or there are better unis they can apply to with the same choices.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nashh606)
    Warwick's maths and economics departments are world class and they have great links to employers especially in finance but also other areas too. Warwick does suffer in that it's fairly new but it seems to have a drive for ambition to keep getting better. This maybe why warwick has a better brand name overall which is definitely important to A*/A grade students. The undermining and mocking of Warwick is really just a tsr thing

I think it's really to do with the fact that we only have 5 choices, and Bath has very high grade requirements which for most students is either inaccessible or there are better unis they can apply to with the same choices.
    Maths at Bath A*AA (2 in STEP)
    Maths at Warwick A*A*A (1 in STEP) with variations all of which are v high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Maths at Bath A*AA (2 in STEP)
    Maths at Warwick A*A*A (1 in STEP) with variations all of which are v high.
    Yeah there are disparities ofc, I know a lot of top mathematicians have Bath as a back up

ReputationRep:
    My take on it (although with no evidence)...

There could be multiple reasons why Bath can't compare itself to other universities like Loughborough or Birmingham, even on a year by year basis.

Degree subjects will increase/decrease in popularity. At times of uncertainity (like we are seeing now), more people will probably apply for "safer" or more "well-respected" courses, like medicine and law, and Bath doesn't have either. It also has a much narrower set of courses outside of big hitters like UCL or Birmingham. A diverse range of subjects probably minimises your risk being on the wrong end of trends.

Maybe the 18 year old population in Bath has taken a bigger hit than it has in the West Midlands. If there has been a 10-15% decrease in 18 year olds in and around Bath but an increase in the West Midlands, this will affect applications and admissions.

Bath's student population is much smaller than the other universities listed. If they have a drop in applications, as a proportion it is going to seem like a bigger hit (and probably cause more panic) than it is UCL (16,500 vs 36,000) but ultimately the numbers are going to be much smaller (I am sure the Maths people can explain this better than I am currently doing).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by J-SP)
    My take on it (although with no evidence)...

There could be multiple reasons why Bath can't compare itself to other universities like Loughborough or Birmingham, even on a year by year basis.

Degree subjects will increase/decrease in popularity. At times of uncertainity (like we are seeing now), more people will probably apply for "safer" or more "well-respected" courses, like medicine and law, and Bath doesn't have either. It also has a much narrower set of courses outside of big hitters like UCL or Birmingham. A diverse range of subjects probably minimises your risk being on the wrong end of trends.

Maybe the 18 year old population in Bath has taken a bigger hit than it has in the West Midlands. If there has been a 10-15% decrease in 18 year olds in and around Bath but an increase in the West Midlands, this will affect applications and admissions.

Bath's student population is much smaller than the other universities listed. If they have a drop in applications, as a proportion it is going to seem like a bigger hit (and probably cause more panic) than it is UCL (16,500 vs 36,000) but ultimately the numbers are going to be much smaller (I am sure the Maths people can explain this better than I am currently doing).
    I think there might be something in the point about no medicine/law and the generally narrower range of courses on offer an Bath. Although the courses they do offer are likely to still be popular - especially engineering and maths.

Although The Daily Mail (and The Times) are both going with the VC pay row.

I guess it helps sell newspapers...

ReputationRep:
    I think there might be something in the point about no medicine/law and the generally narrower range of courses on offer an Bath. Although the courses they do offer are likely to still be popular - especially engineering and maths.

Although The Daily Mail (and The Times) are both going with the VC pay row.

I guess it helps sell newspapers...
    I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly there are also no key courses like English, Politics, History. They are some pretty mainstream courses that are missing that means their portfolio of courses will be much narrower than other universities they are comparing themselves to.

And that's just lazy journalism for you (shame on you, The Times, I would expect it from the Daily Mail)!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly there are also no key courses like English, Politics, History. They are some pretty mainstream courses that are missing that means their portfolio of courses will be much narrower than other universities they are comparing themselves to.

And that's just lazy journalism for you (shame on you, The Times, I would expect it from the Daily Mail)!
    They do have a big Humanities dept. but not History or English - Politics, yes, also Economics and Psychology and Sport (sport is a big thing at Bath).

But that hasn't changed this year - so that's the puzzle...

ReputationRep:
    Bath has been in the news recently with its VC receiving a controversial £451k pay packet, but the university's director of student admissions says he's confident applications will pick up as the 15th January deadline approaches.
    So is the VCs pay really a factor for the drop? Or is it just a blip and it will get back on track by January?
    Bangor has been dealing with a dodgy VC and similar pay packets since 2011 and hasn't really suffered, in fact it still ranks highly for student satisfaction fairly often. Granted it is a lower university and less known to start with...but I don't think the VC alone would affect mainland students' opinions much.

I do agree with you it probably affects internationals who only see the news over VC's pay packet, though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    They do have a big Humanities dept. but not History or English - Politics, yes, also Economics and Psychology and Sport (sport is a big thing at Bath).

Maybe they had a Rio2016 bounce last year....
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PQ)
    Maybe they had a Rio2016 bounce last year....
    And a Fosbury Flop this year...

ReputationRep:
    And a Fosbury Flop this year...
    PRSOM:sad:

ReputationRep:

I thought Politics was only part of the Economics course, not a subject in its own right.

But it doesn’t have to change. The application trends and fashions for different subjects can and will though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I thought Politics was only part of the Economics course, not a subject in its own right.

But it doesn’t have to change. The application trends and fashions for different subjects can and will though.
    They have Politics & IR, that's a more popular course than Politics with Econ.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The VC, Glynis Breakwell, has resigned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42152743

ReputationRep:

Ooops

Free marketeers, rejoice

ReputationRep:

"She will stay on full pay through her sabbatical and a car loan worth about £31,000 will be written off - but the university says there will be no financial payment attached to stepping down."

She is going to be paid over half a million pounds whilst tending her roses but "there will be no financial payment to stepping down". Does Bath have an economics department? Is it aware of the concept of money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    "She will stay on full pay through her sabbatical and a car loan worth about £31,000 will be written off - but the university says there will be no financial payment attached to stepping down."
    She is taking the mickey, as are those who agreed to this. A year's salary (which itself was the subject complaints about value for money) plus a written off car loan is simply obscene, especially for a public servant. I wonder how large her pension pot is, and whether it has been augmented.

It will take the fees of fifty-five students to pay for this year off.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

She is going to be paid over half a million pounds whilst tending her roses but "there will be no financial payment to stepping down". Does Bath have an economics department? Is it aware of the concept of money?
    I didn't notice that bit on the TV news piece I just watched! Hmm, I wonder if that might get "amended"...

ReputationRep:
    So expensive to live

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.