username3155754
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have done alright in all the previous MAT exams (60-70 marks average) and was quite confident when walking into the exam room. This years test, however, was ridiculous. I probably got 50 marks at the very most, it was a complete slaughter, I couldn't carry on any answers from 2-5 and was silently crying, the last part of the last question wasn't so bad but I DIDN'T SEE IT UNTIL THE LAST 10 MINUTES and I now acknowledge that I have no chance of getting into Oxford and I hope that my grades will be good enough for Nottingham/ my other options.
ivanana77
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
bro trust me uve done well

ive completely blanked it. probably 30 at most.

either way sometimes you have to learn how to lose. life goes on. tough
OxfordMathsDept
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just a reminder:

Test-takers should not post test questions or discuss answers, or post the test paper(s). These restrictions will extend to discussions about exams' tested content, specific questions or question numbers and provisional test answers or mark schemes.
blythespirit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How did the MAT go this morning...I found it very hard...
Maserati11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by OxfordMathsDept)
Just a reminder:

Test-takers should not post test questions or discuss answers, or post the test paper(s). These restrictions will extend to discussions about exams' tested content, specific questions or question numbers and provisional test answers or mark schemes.
Hello Oxford Maths Department!
Today, I did MAT all with pencil...and our test centre said we could do it either pen or pencil.. I am completely freaking out as everyone else did it with pen..
Would doing MAT with pencil be a disadvantage?

Thank you.
OxfordMathsDept
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maserati11)
Hello Oxford Maths Department!
Today, I did MAT all with pencil...and our test centre said we could do it either pen or pencil.. I am completely freaking out as everyone else did it with pen..
Would doing MAT with pencil be a disadvantage?

Thank you.
The front of the booklet tells you to do it in pen, but as you've done it in pencil we'll still mark it. It's easier for markers to read if it's in pen, which is why we tell you to write in pen.
macdesharko
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ivanana77)
bro trust me uve done well

ive completely blanked it. probably 30 at most.

either way sometimes you have to learn how to lose. life goes on. tough
Stay strong tiger iv; physics pat was a nightmare as well.
Gunjo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The front of the booklet tells you to do it in pen, but as you've done it in pencil we'll still mark it. It's easier for markers to read if it's in pen, which is why we tell you to write in pen.
For q2/5, I wrote at the very very bottom of the page. Will this still be seen by markers? I'm talking the very edge hahahahah (In pen this is)
OxfordMathsDept
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gunjo)
For q2/5, I wrote at the very very bottom of the page. Will this still be seen by markers? I'm talking the very edge hahahahah (In pen this is)
Yes, that's absolutely fine. We mark the entire physical paper.
Seungy_Han
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the questions were relatively easy compared to the other years. I kind of tripped on question 5 but I think I got the answers last minute. Pretty confident about this one
carpetguy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Seungy_Han)
I think the questions were relatively easy compared to the other years. I kind of tripped on question 5 but I think I got the answers last minute. Pretty confident about this one
He's a troll dw everyone fretting.
It was definitely not relatively easy.
username3155754
Rep:
?
Please don't discuss answers
username3155754
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seungy_Han)
It was far harder than the other years, I may have found it hard as I have enough nervous problems to qualify as disabled and my hands shook so much I couldn't physically write for the first five minutes of the exam (that doesn't normally happen in past papers). Nevertheless, the first 40 marks were quite easy but the last 4 questions were far beyond my ability that had sufficed in all the previous papers.
papayamaster
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Completely screw it up. I could done some of the questions that I didn’t do if I have enough rest and energy. Since MAT was the fourth paper that I’ve taken yesterday, I was quite tired and couldn’t do many calculations at my usual speed. I’ve guessed a lot of answers at the very last moment and am feeling really hopeless right now. Wonder whether I can get an offer from ICL or not...
nick6429
Badges: 1
Report 3 years ago
Just a reminder:

As someone who helps prepare students for MAT and STEP, the sooner we can see the real paper the better please, otherwise we are in the dark advising students. Mind you MAT usually comes out quicker than STEP does - ATS are a pain!
OxfordMathsDept
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nick6429)
As someone who helps prepare students for MAT and STEP, the sooner we can see the real paper the better please, otherwise we are in the dark advising students. Mind you MAT usually comes out quicker than STEP does - ATS are a pain!
Should be going up pretty soon (this weekend/early next week).
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nick6429)
You'll usually find the STEP paper on TSR the day after the exam e.g. here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.07%
Excited but a bit nervous (131)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.41%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.34%

Watched Threads